Thread: Intermediate State/Purgatory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    to the question of 'When?' and 'Where?' is a person purified ? I have given it some thought....

I believe I have my answer, but as of right now I do not have all that many Bible verses to support or attack my views to know if Im right on the money or not?

I think the answer to the question "When and where?" is.....on the cross.

The idea of purgatory is not really found in the bible and the implication of purgatory is that the righteousness of Christ is not sufficient nor are we
    justified by faith alone, we must do something to be cleansed of sin. Jesus did not say to the thief on the cross, today I will drop you off in purgatory.

alanmolstad

Perhaps the truth is that the push to keep the teaching of purgatory around has nothing to do with the state of the dead but rather its about giving the living a feeling that it's up to "them' to get their loved ones out of purgatory.

In a way it gives the living something to do...

it provides them with a reason to go to church, as there are many hints dropped by church leadership and doctrine that prayers are effective when offered in the hope of helping people who are stuck in purgatory .

But from a strictly logical standpoint, purgatory is simply a bad idea that cant possibly be true or made to fit within christian doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Perhaps the truth is that the push to keep the teaching of purgatory around has nothing to do with the state of the dead but rather its about giving the living a feeling that it's up to "them' to get their loved ones out of purgatory.

In a way it gives the living something to do...

it provides them with a reason to go to church, as there are many hints dropped by church leadership and doctrine that prayers are effective when offered in the hope of helping people who are stuck in purgatory .

But from a strictly logical standpoint, purgatory is simply a bad idea that cant possibly be true or made to fit within christian doctrine.
    I agree. I believe the Catholic church realized long ago that creating doctrines and traditions that would keep the people dependent on the church would keep them coming. A very good secular tactic but a very shameful spiritual one.

alanmolstad

Going over the posts on this topic...

The guy who supported the idea of purgatory was asked over and over to supply any text that backed his views?

he could not!

Over and over he ducks around the fact that he had not even one verse that taught there was a purgatory .
    He was also unable to defend the concept ...

So on this score, the idea of purgatory "FAILED"