The current subject is dealing with the "intermediate state," specifically in dealing with the Western Catholic conception of "purgatory." I wanted to express this doctrine in terms of my own Eastern Catholic/Orthodox understanding rather than through the Scholasticism of Catholicism. "Intermediate State" is a reference of the soul between just after death of the body and the eventual resurrection of our bodies either to eternal ****ation or eternal life.

There are four points I should like to discuss. Instead of answering all four points at one time, I should like to discuss each point seperately until there is closure to move on. Even if we do not agree, I should at least like it to be understood.

1) God is light.

2) To the unrighteous and the righteous alike, this light of God is felt.
2i--to the unrighteous, this light exposes the darkness of their hearts and torments them.
2ii--to the righteous, this light is embraced.

3) A) Sin has two consequences and B) good works only have one consequence.
3Ai--Sin seperates us spiritually from God by virtue of God's holiness.
3Aii--Sin's temporal consequences are felt by others and builds bad character traits.
3Bi--The temporal (positive) consequences of good works is that it builds character and connects us one to another.
3Bii--Good works is not salvaic. Only Christ's sacrifice at Calvary repairs the spiritual relationship to unify us back to God.

4) With death of the righteous, the flesh no longer is tempted.
4i--however, the Soul's character traits that were built on both the indwelling of the Spirit in the performance of good works remains and our temporal works of iniquity with its impurities in the soul must be purged by the fire of God's light.
4ii--this purging in Western Catholics is called the state of "purgatory."
4iii--To the Eastern Catholic/Orthodox, this is an unnecessary cl***ification since we all return to God.

Again, I hope to move from point to point in the discussion so we can find closure or at least an understanding.