[quote]Originally Posted by dberrie2000
You are right--and the NT distinguishes only God the Father as the "one God".

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
And the Son as "one LORD" who is the second person of the Trinity.
The second personage of the Godhead--the term "Trinity" is not found within the Bible.

The Biblical Term Godhead

Versus the Term "Trinity"

by Bob Allgood

An Effort To Contend For The Faith

Once Delivered Unto The Saints

All three of these declarations are very good, but I personally prefer the first two over the last. I could not help but notice that each of the statements became more condensed and less elaborate about the attributes of the Godhead. Is this a sign of the times? In some our modern day Articles of Faith the statements of belief are so concise that it is hard to determine exactly what the Primitive Baptists authors are trying to say or really believe. To illustrate this I will quote from a common Articles of Faith I have seen copied (without change) and used in Colorado and NM:

" We believe in one true and living God and the trinity of persons in the Godhead - Father, Son and Holy Ghost, and yet not three but one God ".

I'll be as kind as possible, but in my opinion, this last declaration is a weak and confusing statement about the Godhead. It is weak because there are no Biblical comments about the attributes of God. It is confusing because it says "We believe in -- God and the trinity of persons in the Godhead". The phrase "trinity of persons in the Godhead" is unbiblical terminology which conflicts with and/or directly contradicts Scripture. It shows how easily confusion and error can get into our doctrine through ignorance, apathy, slothfulness and/or failure to "study and rightly divide the word of truth". I have the "little white book" from which this statement was taken word for word and p***ed on to at least three churches. In this we can see how the error of one can afflict others. As Solomon said, "Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good".