Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: God as Spirit or flesh and bone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dberrie2000

Default God as Spirit or flesh and bone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdjhere
    RussianWolfe said: "Provide the scriptural support for your belief that God could be in multiple places at the same time."

We will do this after we discuss whether or not God is a Spirit, as Jesus said He was. John 4:24 "God is spirit,” He (Jesus) declared, “and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth.”

dberrie---So--does God possess a physical body or is He just a Spirit only?
    I thought this might be a good question for the forum to discuss. Any comments?
    Last edited by dberrie2000; 06-11-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Quote:
    dberrie---So--does God possess a physical body or is He just a Spirit only?

God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, Jesus has a resurrected body.

Snow Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, Jesus has a resurrected body.
    I wonder why you don't answer "God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

Could it be because it complicates your explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Patrol View Post
    I wonder why you don't answer "God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine. It leads them to the ludicrous conclusion that God has a physical Body. That is incredibly naive and childish. Like something some Hindu would believe (and they do).

The Bible clearly says God is Spirit. But, as ususal, Mormons reject that and pretend that that's fine, because that just means he has a spirit. You twist God's Word to support the infantile, irrational idea that God has a physical body. This is simply pagan - and Mormonism has much in common with pagansim. In fact, it has restored it one might say. Plainly childish.

I'm not going into a long teaching on the bible's teaching that God is Spirit. Here is an article if anybody cares:

http://bible.org/seriespage/god-spirit

I will say one thing, however. God the Word took on the additional NATURE of humanity in the Person of Jesus Christ. In Christ the Nature of God and the Nature of Man were joined together in One Person. This is called the hypostatic union. The physical nature of Christ is not God, He is only God in His divine nature. However, His physical body is glorified, and our bodies will be made like unto His own glorious body in the resurrection. In other words, study the hypostatic union.

So, the ignorance of those who attack Christians who believe God is Spirit, as the bible doubtless teaches, is rooted in a pagan and diminished understanding of God. The Mormon "god" is an inferior god, limited by time and space, and is a contingent, dependent creature. Mormon-god saves nobody!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Snow Patrol

Do me a favor and put me back on ignore.

Do me a favor and put me back on ignore.
    Well, since you just made that snarky little remark (probably because you are totally unable to give a cogent response to my post), I'll make sure I respond to your every post. I'll be your best bud! Always there with a word of encouragement.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Snow Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Well, since you just made that snarky little remark (probably because you are totally unable to give a cogent response to my post), I'll make sure I respond to your every post. I'll be your best bud! Always there with a word of encouragement.
    You want to talk snarky?

"I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine. It leads them to the ludicrous conclusion that God has a physical Body. That is incredibly naive and childish. Like something some Hindu would believe (and they do).

The Bible clearly says God is Spirit. But, as ususal, Mormons reject that and pretend that that's fine, because that just means he has a spirit. You twist God's Word to support the infantile, irrational idea that God has a physical body. This is simply pagan - and Mormonism has much in common with pagansim. In fact, it has restored it one might say. Plainly childish.

I'm not going into a long teaching on the bible's teaching that God is Spirit. Here is an article if anybody cares:

I will say one thing, however. God the Word took on the additional NATURE of humanity in the Person of Jesus Christ. In Christ the Nature of God and the Nature of Man were joined together in One Person. This is called the hypostatic union. The physical nature of Christ is not God, He is only God in His divine nature. However, His physical body is glorified, and our bodies will be made like unto His own glorious body in the resurrection. In other words, study the hypostatic union.

So, the ignorance of those who attack Christians who believe God is Spirit, as the bible doubtless teaches, is rooted in a pagan and diminished understanding of God. The Mormon "god" is an inferior god, limited by time and space, and is a contingent, dependent creature. Mormon-god saves nobody!"

I wonder if I can count on James to jump in here and complain about your use of the highlighter words? Nah, probably not.

You want to talk snarky?

"I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine. It leads them to the ludicrous conclusion that God has a physical Body. That is incredibly naive and childish. Like something some Hindu would believe (and they do).

So, the ignorance of those who attack Christians who believe God is Spirit, as the bible doubtless teaches, is rooted in a pagan and diminished understanding of God. The Mormon "god" is an inferior god, limited by time and space, and is a contingent, dependent creature. Mormon-god saves nobody!"

I wonder if I can count on James to jump in here and complain about your use of the highlighter words? Nah, probably not.
    You confuse truth with snarky remarks. Now, try to address the argument. No childish temper tantrums.
    Last edited by Apologette; 06-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Snow Patrol

... Sick of childish temper tantrums.
    Then quit reading your posts. They are full of them.

Is there anybody out there who can give a cogent response? Any Mormon at all?

Snow Patrol

Is there anybody out there who can give a cogent response? Any Mormon at all?
    Is there any "Christian" out there who can put aside their biases and engage in a civil dialogue without insulting the very people they are trying to engage?

Snow Patrol

"God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

What exactly is incorrect about this?

If A=B and B=C then A=C

Jesus is God the Son
    Jesus has a resurrected body.
    God the Son has a resurrected body.

How exactly is that incorrect?

More snot-nosed snark.

dberrie2000

I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine.

The fact of the matter is, Apologette--you have delved in precious little Biblical verse discussion. Anyone who have read your post knows that you mine in the dirt shafts--and the Bible is not in your forte. That is a fact.

The fact of the matter is, Apologette--you have delved in precious little Biblical verse discussion. Anyone who have read your post knows that you mine in the dirt shafts--and the Bible is not in your forte. That is a fact.

According to WHO? YOU? YOU seem to have little or NO understanding of scripture at all. SO WHO ARE YOU to say the Bible is not in Apologette's forte? She CLEARLY knows more of the Bible than you do imho.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    According to WHO? YOU? YOU seem to have little or NO understanding of scripture at all. SO WHO ARE YOU to say the Bible is not in Apologette's forte? She CLEARLY knows more of the Bible than you do imho.
    Then perhaps you could give us some examples of Apologette using the Biblical scriptures?

James 2:24---New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

dberrie2000

That is a very good question--and hits at the heart of my OP.

The answer is obvious--the Trinitarians can separate God the Father and Jesus Christ out as two separate substances--but since they cannot differentiate that in the term "God"--they have to make their minds up--does God have a body of flesh and bone--or is only a Spirit--as they ***ign both those values to each as a separate person--but cannot, as God. They are in a "pickle".

Billyray

-does God have a body of flesh and bone--or is only a Spirit--as they ***ign both those values to each as a separate person--but cannot, as God. They are in a "pickle".
    God the Father is spirit. God the Son has a resurrected body.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    God the Father is spirit. God the Son has a resurrected body.
    You have God having both a Spirit and a physical body. Is that true?

Aren't the Father and Son the same God?

Billyray

There is one God in three person: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

So WHERE IS THE PHYSICAL BODY of the HOLY SPIRIT? Oh, HE IS GOD, but HE HAS NO FLESH OR BONES??? Consistent? Naaah. the berry has no explanation that fits Isaiah 43:10, 44:6, 44:8 etc etc etc.

alanmolstad

Im not sure I understood your question....But I can share what i have learned over the years...

the father has no body,,,the Father is pure spirit.

The Word of John 1:1 has no body, but in the story if the incarnation, the Bible tells us that the Word is wrapped in the flesh of a human and born of a woman.

So this does not mean that the WORD gave up being pure spirit, but rather the story tells us that the Word was given a 2nd nature.....and was made man.

alanmolstad

an odd question to ask.

First off, God never has a body of flesh and bones, or flesh and blood, or flesh and french fries etc.
    God is spirit and is always spirit.,

But so that Jesus could die, Jesus was born with a 2nd nature too.

Jesus did not stop being God/Jesus did not stop being pure Spirit.
    But Jesus also has a 2nd nature as a fully human man.

And it is because of this 2nd nature that Jesus has a body.

The father never had a 2nd nature, nor the Holy Spirit, .....so no bodies too

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    an odd question to ask.

First off, God never has a body of flesh and bones, or flesh and blood, or flesh and french fries etc.
    Then you don't believe Jesus Christ is God?

Luke 24:39--King James Version (KJV)
    39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

alanmolstad

Then you don't believe Jesus Christ is God?

.[/B]
    I believe I have stated very clearly on many topics here that Jesus is God Almighty....the one and only God there is.

You can check but I think I have made that point very clear.......over and over...........and over some more....