Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: God as Spirit or flesh and bone

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Patrol View Post
    I wonder why you don't answer "God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

Could it be because it complicates your explanation?
    I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine. It leads them to the ludicrous conclusion that God has a physical Body. That is incredibly naive and childish. Like something some Hindu would believe (and they do).

The Bible clearly says God is Spirit. But, as ususal, Mormons reject that and pretend that that's fine, because that just means he has a spirit. You twist God's Word to support the infantile, irrational idea that God has a physical body. This is simply pagan - and Mormonism has much in common with pagansim. In fact, it has restored it one might say. Plainly childish.

I'm not going into a long teaching on the bible's teaching that God is Spirit. Here is an article if anybody cares:

http://bible.org/seriespage/god-spirit

I will say one thing, however. God the Word took on the additional NATURE of humanity in the Person of Jesus Christ. In Christ the Nature of God and the Nature of Man were joined together in One Person. This is called the hypostatic union. The physical nature of Christ is not God, He is only God in His divine nature. However, His physical body is glorified, and our bodies will be made like unto His own glorious body in the resurrection. In other words, study the hypostatic union.

So, the ignorance of those who attack Christians who believe God is Spirit, as the bible doubtless teaches, is rooted in a pagan and diminished understanding of God. The Mormon "god" is an inferior god, limited by time and space, and is a contingent, dependent creature. Mormon-god saves nobody!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Snow Patrol

Do me a favor and put me back on ignore.

Do me a favor and put me back on ignore.
    Well, since you just made that snarky little remark (probably because you are totally unable to give a cogent response to my post), I'll make sure I respond to your every post. I'll be your best bud! Always there with a word of encouragement.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Snow Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Well, since you just made that snarky little remark (probably because you are totally unable to give a cogent response to my post), I'll make sure I respond to your every post. I'll be your best bud! Always there with a word of encouragement.
    You want to talk snarky?

"I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine. It leads them to the ludicrous conclusion that God has a physical Body. That is incredibly naive and childish. Like something some Hindu would believe (and they do).

The Bible clearly says God is Spirit. But, as ususal, Mormons reject that and pretend that that's fine, because that just means he has a spirit. You twist God's Word to support the infantile, irrational idea that God has a physical body. This is simply pagan - and Mormonism has much in common with pagansim. In fact, it has restored it one might say. Plainly childish.

I'm not going into a long teaching on the bible's teaching that God is Spirit. Here is an article if anybody cares:

I will say one thing, however. God the Word took on the additional NATURE of humanity in the Person of Jesus Christ. In Christ the Nature of God and the Nature of Man were joined together in One Person. This is called the hypostatic union. The physical nature of Christ is not God, He is only God in His divine nature. However, His physical body is glorified, and our bodies will be made like unto His own glorious body in the resurrection. In other words, study the hypostatic union.

So, the ignorance of those who attack Christians who believe God is Spirit, as the bible doubtless teaches, is rooted in a pagan and diminished understanding of God. The Mormon "god" is an inferior god, limited by time and space, and is a contingent, dependent creature. Mormon-god saves nobody!"

I wonder if I can count on James to jump in here and complain about your use of the highlighter words? Nah, probably not.

You want to talk snarky?

"I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine. It leads them to the ludicrous conclusion that God has a physical Body. That is incredibly naive and childish. Like something some Hindu would believe (and they do).

So, the ignorance of those who attack Christians who believe God is Spirit, as the bible doubtless teaches, is rooted in a pagan and diminished understanding of God. The Mormon "god" is an inferior god, limited by time and space, and is a contingent, dependent creature. Mormon-god saves nobody!"

I wonder if I can count on James to jump in here and complain about your use of the highlighter words? Nah, probably not.
    You confuse truth with snarky remarks. Now, try to address the argument. No childish temper tantrums.
    Last edited by Apologette; 06-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Snow Patrol

... Sick of childish temper tantrums.
    Then quit reading your posts. They are full of them.

Then quit reading your posts. They are full of them.
    Is there anybody out there who can give a cogent response? Any Mormon at all?

Snow Patrol

Is there anybody out there who can give a cogent response? Any Mormon at all?
    Is there any "Christian" out there who can put aside their biases and engage in a civil dialogue without insulting the very people they are trying to engage?

Snow Patrol

"God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

What exactly is incorrect about this?

If A=B and B=C then A=C

Jesus is God the Son
    Jesus has a resurrected body.
    God the Son has a resurrected body.

How exactly is that incorrect?

dberrie2000

dberrie---How could God the Father appear to Jesus Christ in the Mount of Transfiguration, and announce His Only Begotten Son?

JD----Define "appear" because it was NOT bodily.

Jesus was transformed before His disciples. It would have been of great interest to have heard the words our Lord was speaking to the Father as His appearance began to be changed. Jesus is then called Son by a voice in the sky from God the Father, as in the baptism of Jesus.

Matthew 17:5-8 While he was yet speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold, a voice out of the cloud, saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him." And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. And Jesus came and touched them and said, "Arise, and be not afraid." And lifting up their eyes, they saw no one, save Jesus only.
    Luke 9:34-36 While he thus spoke, there came a cloud and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered into the cloud. And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, “THIS IS MY BELOVED SON. HEAR HIM!”And when the voice was past, Jesus was found alone. And they kept silent, and told no man in those days any of those things which they had seen.
    Mark9:7-8 And there came a cloud overshadowing them: and there came a voice out of the cloud, "This is my beloved Son: hear ye him."And suddenly looking round about, they saw no one any more save Jesus only with themselves.
    2 Peter 1:16-18 "For we did not follow cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there was borne such a voice to him by the Majestic Glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: and this voice we [ourselves] heard borne out of heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount.

Show me Biblical Scripture that proves the Father "appeared" bodily to Jesus Christ in the Mount of Transfiguration. There was a cloud and a Voice and.... Jesus alone. I wonder why? Maybe because the God the Father is Spirit and God the Son was housed in a body?

Whoa, hossy. You likened the Trinity to water in steam, ice, and liquid. I stated ok, but not at the same time.

I placed the Father and the Son together at the same time on the mount of transfiguration to show that ****ogy would not work for me--it had nothing to do with God the Father appearing with a body or without a body.

dberrie2000

I'm sorry that Mormons have such an inadequate grasp on sound Biblical doctrine.

The fact of the matter is, Apologette--you have delved in precious little Biblical verse discussion. Anyone who have read your post knows that you mine in the dirt shafts--and the Bible is not in your forte. That is a fact.

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    I placed the Father and the Son together at the same time on the mount of transfiguration to show that ****ogy would not work for me--it had nothing to do with God the Father appearing with a body or without a body.
    Did we ever expect that you would ever hold Christian doctrine?

dberrie2000

I wonder why you don't answer "God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

Could it be because it complicates your explanation?
    That is a very good question--and hits at the heart of my OP.

The answer is obvious--the Trinitarians can separate God the Father and Jesus Christ out as two separate substances--but since they cannot differentiate that in the term "God"--they have to make their minds up--does God have a body of flesh and bone--or is only a Spirit--as they ***ign both those values to each as a separate person--but cannot, as God. They are in a "pickle".

jdjhere

Heh heh... OK DBerrie, I misunderstood you. Sorry bout that, Chief. (To post #35) And I do not know WHY you think we are in a "pickle." Seems pretty straight forward and obvious to me.

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    Did we ever expect that you would ever hold Christian doctrine?

Please explain. But first--are you referring to "Christianity" as the faith alone claim it--or as the Biblical text has it in the NT church?

Billyray

Please explain.
    What is there to explain? You hold heretical doctrine and I don't think any Christian here thinks you will ever see the truth UNLESS God opens up your eyes to the truth.

jdjhere

"God the Father does not have a body of flesh and bones, God the Son has a resurrected body."

What exactly is incorrect about this?

If A=B and B=C then A=C

Jesus is God the Son
    Jesus has a resurrected body.
    God the Son has a resurrected body.

How exactly is that incorrect?

It is NOT incorrect, except one minor thing- your conclusion is INCOMPLETE-

God the Son has a GLORIFIED resurrected SPIRITUAL PHYSICAL BODY that houses the the SPIRIT of God the Son and this Spirit is ****ousios with the Father and the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is FULLY man and FULLY God.
    "I am the Alpha and the Omega" Isaiah 44:6; Rev 1:8 " I am the Alpha and the Omega" Rev 1:17; 2:8 Rev 22:13-20 WHO is the Alpha and the Omega from these verses? John 1:1-3, 14 Compare Zech 12:10 to John 19:37 Who is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords? There can only be one 1 Timothy 6:15 and Rev 19:16 and why does it say GOD purchased the Church with His OWN BLOOD? Acts 20:28? Read John 1:18
    Last edited by jdjhere; 06-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Billyray

-does God have a body of flesh and bone--or is only a Spirit--as they ***ign both those values to each as a separate person--but cannot, as God. They are in a "pickle".
    God the Father is spirit. God the Son has a resurrected body.

dberrie2000

God the Father is spirit. God the Son has a resurrected body.
    You have God having both a Spirit and a physical body. Is that true?

Aren't the Father and Son the same God?

dberrie2000

What is there to explain? You hold heretical doctrine and I don't think any Christian here thinks you will ever see the truth UNLESS God opens up your eyes to the truth.
    But that is just a general statement that anyone can make against another. Please post your scripture and make a specific argument.

Billyray

You have God having both a Spirit and a physical body. Is that true?

Aren't the Father and Son the same God?
    There is one God in three person: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Billyray

Please post your scripture and make a specific argument.
    Just about everything you believe is heretical. So where do you want to start?

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by jdjhere View Post
    This is what is obviously wrong--you have the person of Jesus Christ as having a resurrected physical body.

You deny that the Father has such--only a Spirit.

That is fine until you add "God" to the equation.

You can no longer differentiate at that level--because there is but one God there--not three, in the faith alone theology.

So--does God have a resurrected body? A simple yes or no?

Billyray

So--does God have a resurrected body? A simple yes or no?
    The Father does not have a resurrected body, the Son does have a resureccted body.

dberrie2000

The Father does not have a resurrected body, the Son does have a resureccted body.
    Are you saying that God has a resurrected body?

note to lurkers: Billyray nor anyone else here that is faith alone is going to answer this question--for obvious reasons. Diversion is all one will get here.