Thread: Second Annointing, ***urance of Eternal Life --- Everything You Wanted to Know!

Grandma

Default Second Annointing, ***urance of Eternal Life --- Everything You Wanted to Know!

In the Latter Day Saint movement, the second anointing, also known historically and in Latter Day Saint scripture as the fullness of the priesthood, is an obscure and relatively rare ordinance usually conducted in temples as extension of the Nauvoo Endowment ceremony. Founder Joseph Smith, Jr. cited the "fullness of the priesthood" as one of the reasons for building the Nauvoo Temple (D&C 124:28). In the ordinance, a participant is anointed as a "priest and king" or a "priestess and queen", and is sealed to the highest degree of salvation available in Mormon theology. Those who participate in this ordinance are said to have their "calling and election made sure", and their celestial marriage "sealed by the holy spirit of promise". They are said to have received the "more sure word of prophecy".

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), the largest Latter Day Saint denomination, has performed the ceremony for nominated couples from the 1840s to the present day...

The initial second anointing took place on September 28, 1843, when Joseph and his wife Emma Smith received it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_anointing

There is no exaltation in the kingdom of God without the fulness of the
    priesthood. . . . Every man who is faithful and will receive these [temple]
    ordinances and blessings obtains a fulness of the priesthood, and the
    Lord has said that "he makes them equal in power, and in might, and
    in dominion."
    Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 3:132

The Lord Almighty . . . will continue to preserve me . . . until I have
    fully accomplished my mission in this life, and so firmly established the
    dispensation of the fullness of the priesthood in the last days, that all the
    powers of earth and hell can never prevail against it.
    Joseph Smith, Jr., 1842, History of the Church, 5:139-40

D&C 68:2,12 D&C 1:8-9)

2 And, behold, and lo, this is an ensample unto all those who were ordained unto this priesthood, whose mission is appointed unto them to go forth—

12 And of as many as the Father shall bear record, to you shall be given power to seal them up unto eternal life. Amen.

D&C 1:8-9 NOT NICE:
    8 And verily I say unto you, that they who go forth, bearing these tidings unto the inhabitants of the earth, to them is power given to seal both on earth and in heaven, the unbelieving and rebellious;

9 Yea, verily, to seal them up unto the day when the wrath of God shall be poured out upon the wicked without measure—

D&C 88:139-41 (also verses 74-75)
    74 And I give unto you, who are the first laborers in this last kingdom, a commandment that you ***emble yourselves together, and organize yourselves, and prepare yourselves, and sanctify yourselves; yea, purify your hearts, and cleanse your hands and your feet before me, that I may make you clean;

75 That I may testify unto your Father, and your God, and my God, that you are clean from the blood of this wicked generation; that I may fulfil this promise, this great and last promise, which I have made unto you, when I will.

139 And he shall be received by the ordinance of the washing of feet, for unto this end was the ordinance of the washing of feet ins***uted.

140 And again, the ordinance of washing feet is to be administered by the president, or presiding elder of the church.

141 It is to be commenced with prayer; and after partaking of bread and wine, he is to gird himself according to the pattern given in the thirteenth chapter of John’s testimony concerning me. Amen.

"Although the process of obtaining exaltation continues even into the spirit world, the knowledge that one will become exalted with the privileges of continuing on to eternal life can be certain in this life. This is what making one’s calling and election sure is all about.
    Roy W. Doxey, Accepted of the Lord, Ensign, July 1976, p. 50

However, it seems even that election can be lost. It still depends on your works. (See the story of John Dehlin, the founder of the Mormon Stories Podcast )

But suppose such persons [who have had their calling and election made sure] have become disaoffected and the spirit of repentance leaves them...? The answer is --- and the revelations and teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith so recite! ---they must then pay the penalty of their own sins, for the blood of Christ will not cleanse them. Or if they commit murder or adultery, they lose their promised inheritance because their sins are exempt from the sealing promises.
    Conrad H. Knudson, Doctrine and Covenants Guidebook, p. 276

Doctrine and Covenants 131:5
    (May 17th, 1843.) The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood.

Doctrine and Covenants 59:23
    But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come.

Love,

Grandma
    Last edited by Grandma; 09-12-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Grandma

So am I to surmise that everyone is fully aware of this teaching?