Thread: Does faith in Jesus make one a true Jew?

johnd

Default Does faith in Jesus make one a true Jew?

Romans 2:28-29 (NASB95)
    28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh.
    29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Philippians 3:1-3 (NASB95)
    1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things again is no trouble to me, and it is a safeguard for you.
    2 Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision;
    3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,

Ephesians 2 (NASB95)
    1 And you were dead in your tresp***es and sins,
    2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
    6 and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
    7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surp***ing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
    9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
    10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
    11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called “Uncircumcision” by the so-called “Circumcision,” which is performed in the flesh by human hands—
    12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
    13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
    14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall,
    15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace,
    16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.
    17 And He came and preached peace to you who were far away, and peace to those who were near;
    18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father.
    19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household,
    20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,
    21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord,
    22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

cheachea

Yes by Faith .

dfoJC

Default Yes.

Here is another p***age that confirms this truth:

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness.
    Gal 3:7 Therefore know that those of faith, these are the sons of Abraham.

Blessings.

dfoJC

johnd

Jeremiah 31:31-34 (KJV)
    31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

johnd

No mention of Gentiles in the Gospel in the Old Testament (Jeremiah 31:31-34).

Yet clearly God had Gentiles in mind...

Romans 1:16 (KJV)
    16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 2:10 (KJV)
    10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

And...

Genesis 17:5 (KJV)
    5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

So... believing in the Jewish Messiah makes all (Jewish born or Gentile born) Spirit Jews of the Spirit house of Israel.

johnd

Now watch the fur fly.

Pride from Jewish born people.

Prejudice from Gentile born people.

But is it in the Bible.

Galatians 6:13-16 (KJV)
    13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.
    14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
    15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
    16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Philippians 3:3 (KJV)
    3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

alanmolstad

Im not sure what this topic is about?

johnd

The Spirit House of Israel = the Church.

Last edited by johnd; 02-03-2014 at 12:45 AM.

johnd

This is also a test of one's antisemitism. Most Gentiles who reject the Jewishness of the faith do so strictly by this prejudice.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    This is also a test of one's antisemitism. Most Gentiles who reject the Jewishness of the faith do so strictly by this prejudice.
    well ok....whatever...

But while it is true that we in the christian church are grafted into the family tree of faith going back to the beginning, we got to be careful when and if any of us identify ourselves as "true Jews"....

There is always going to be a bit of confusion on the matter.