Thread: Serious discussion about the Greek Septuagint/LXX .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cheachea

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    not sure I understand your question...
    Oh, I mean in the context of the whole Septuagint vs Masoretic Old Testament debate. Also I just want to know people's opinion of it in general.

alanmolstad

as far as I know, Jesus had the LXX to use....

cheachea

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    as far as I know, Jesus had the LXX to use....
    Yeah, that's what I've heard also. I recently watched a video that talked about one of the church Fathers Justin Martyr writing to Trypho about some jewish scribes removing "From the Wood" from the 95th psalm because it was a prophecy about Christ reigning from the wood of the Cross. I don't know how true that is though. Who knows. I'm just barely starting to learn about this information.

This is the video I saw it on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7H6wJ43K_s

nothead

Quote Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
    Yeah, that's what I've heard also. I recently watched a video that talked about one of the church Fathers Justin Martyr writing to Trypho about some jewish scribes removing "From the Wood" from the 95th psalm because it was a prophecy about Christ reigning from the wood of the Cross. I don't know how true that is though. Who knows. I'm just barely starting to learn about this information.

This is the video I saw it on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7H6wJ43K_s
    Not looking at the video, the general issue is even larger. What language did Jesus and et al, his companions and disciples THINK and SPEAK in?

50 years ago the common idea was that the common lingo was Koine, and the subset among the Jewish population was Aramaic.

But the evidences from the Dead Sea Scrolls changed everything, along with the Bar Kokhba cave finds. Now some eminent Polish scholar says the main language around Judea was Mishnaic Hebrew. Milik.

This would change everything including the probability that the synagogues around Judea and even Galilee had the Mishaic Hebrew OT.

Just begun investigating this, but it is very interesting. The Ezra impetus was to change the ***yrian exiles who spoke Aramaic back to the mother tongue.