Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Reason we should never "aim" a topic at a Mormon by name.

Pa Pa

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Oh, did we? By telling you to come here and personally mock, belittle and attack us - not behind a computer. Only cowards do that. If you feel threatened by that, imagine how I felt when you said not to worry that you weren't going to kill me! Grow up and stop trying to intimidate people - we are not impressed.
    Just remembering how you once told me what a great shot you were...looking to shoot me? Or is just bodily harm you threaten?

alanmolstad

This topic is about getting people to understand the need for all of us to follow the same rules that we all have given our word we would follow.

If you aim a topic at a member of this message board by name, you have broken the rules.

people that break the rules have to learn not to do that....

You dont get to play by your own rules just because you think the other people have crossed a line...

What does the rule say?

"Do not start threads aimed at a specific board member."

Sir

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    This topic is about getting people to understand the need for all of us to follow the same rules that we all have given our word we would follow.

If you aim a topic at a member of this message board by name, you have broken the rules.

people that break the rules have to learn not to do that....

You dont get to play by your own rules just because you think the other people have crossed a line...
    You posted this to the wrong person. Not that you will see this since you have me on ignore. Which is why it is obvious you posted it to the wrong person as well.

alanmolstad

By the way Papa.....

There is another rule that I should quote here for us all to see>

"Additional Rules: Please do not refer to a member by any name other than his or her username"

I know in the heat of battle sometimes we all might forget ourselves.

But now that the official RULE has been quoted, i trust this should help us all stay away from bending or breaking the rule about how we address each other.

Pa Pa

By the way Papa.....

There is another rule that I should quote here for us all to see>

"Additional Rules: Please do not refer to a member by any name other than his or her username"

I know in the heat of battle sometimes we all might forget ourselves.

But now that the official RULE has been quoted, i trust this should help us all stay away from bending or breaking the rule about how we address each other.
    She game me name, years ago. But if that is the rule so be it.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Pa View Post
    She game me name, years ago. But if that is the rule so be it.
    the rule is the rule...

its not a Christian Rule, or a Mormon rule..

It's Jill's rule.
    But it's her house too, so she gets to set the rules...LOL

Thus we show our proper respect for the owner of the website when we make a very clear effort to always follow her rules.

When people see you conform to the same rules as the rest of us...it speaks loudly about what your Lord and your faith have taught you....

It reflects well on you to others...

and it also confronts the people who are against you with the "FACT" that you show respect for Jill's rules....

Whereas they?.....Do they show the same respect?......well....we shall see...

edited for style
    Last edited by Apologette; 10-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

alanmolstad

.... I sent you a private message.
    >>>yes, take it to PM ....handle the personal stuff there.

the forum should be used to talk about religions and Bible verses and stuff about our 'ideas and concepts"

I dont need to read about what a **** you think the other person is.

Pa Pa

Are you serious? Prove that. By the way, I sent you a private message.
    I can barely deal with in a open forum.

edited for style
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

alanmolstad

You feel Papa has crossed a line?
    Did he attack you or someone you know in a too personal manner?

here is what you do then>

What is the Lord's teaching about when we are so personally attacked?

Matthew 5:39

the key moment you had was to understand the value in the Lord's teaching in that verse, and live it, and submit to it.

again, if you have a problem with the way Papa posts to you.....report this to Jill and place Papa's name on your ignore list.

Thats how an adult handles this who wants to reflect the Lord's teachings correctly.

But if you just keep going back and forth in an endless bickering about who said what??? ,,,,,,,then you have lost the right to really complain about Papa's posts.

No one is making you talk to him.
    No one is forcing you to read his posts.

Thus you only have yourself to blame if this just keeps going on and on and on....

just snap out of this and put the guy on ignore for the rest of the day.....and allow things to calm down a bit...

>>>yes, take it to PM ....handle the personal stuff there.

the forum should be used to talk about religions and Bible verses and stuff about our 'ideas and concepts"

I dont need to read about what a **** you think the other person is.
    I agree with you.

alanmolstad

1st...its against the rules!

Mormons have a right to expect the Christians who frequent this site to always play by the same rules they are expected to follow too.

I created this topic long ago in response to the situation at the time.
    If I remember what was going on back then, we had a Christian who was very upset at a Mormon for things said, both here, but mostly on the CARM forum.

The Chrstian got so mad that they got a new topic going here that was aimed at this other Mormon by name.
    Clearly this was and still is against the RULES.

My hope with this topic was to encourage the Christian to not do things like this because it makes everyone look bad.
    I tried to pointout that we are all just guests here, and should set a good example for others by following the rules.

I also wrote to the christian who I was reaching out to with this topic a private message or two.

But my efforts fell short.
    I did report the topic and it was cleared off the forum, but the Christian who started it never caught on that they had really done anything wrong.

Apparently they felt that being "right" was all they needed to be to justify breaking the rules.

in the end, they got banned, as did the Mormon they were bickering with.

It never pays to act like you own the world , when you are just a guest at another person's table.

alanmolstad

Some times i go over my old posts to see if I was responding not only in a "Christ-like" manner?...but also I want to check to see if my comments were able to get across to others what I was aiming at?

Im undecided as to how I did.

Reviewing this topic for example, good gosh it went down hill !

and kinda appears now as a great example of the worst in people brought out on a message forum.

In the future I know such bickering will rise up here again from time to time.
    Im not sure it can be stopped from happening....some people are well-known for going from one message forum to the next and ripping it up like this.

but, I will keep en eye out.

dberrie2000

1st...its against the rules!

Mormons have a right to expect the Christians who frequent this site to always play by the same rules they are expected to follow too.

Christians ( or other faiths too for that matter) should make a effort to show respect for the Mormon guests that stop by this message board to read the posts.

The best way to show that proper respect for the Mormon guests is to always follow the same rules that we all agreed to play by when we first Logged-On to this website.

THERE IS A RULE AGAINST AIMING ANY TOPIC BY NAME AT OTHER MEMBERS OF THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

Go read the rules kids, there is a very clear underlined rule against aiming a topic at another member of this message board.

You can aim posts at other guests...

But not topics by name.

You seem to have missed a few:

"The Troll dberrie"

"dberrie says that Satan is a real god!"

"Mormons must have DROPPED dberrie"

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    You seem to have missed a few:

"The Troll dberrie"

"dberrie says that Satan is a real god!"

This is actually part of my response...

dberrie2000

This is actually part of my response...
    How do you feel your "response" changes anything? The threads still appear.

IOW--in response to yesterday's thread---"Mormons must have DROPPED dberrie"--here is your response:

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

ALL of the mormons seem to have left.
    NONE of them stayed around to support dberrie

They must think of him as a heretic just like the rest of us do.

I can't think of any OTHER reason for them to have run away so completely.
    maybe there is a game on?
    Last edited by dberrie2000; 03-11-2017 at 11:09 AM.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    How do you feel your "response" changes anything? The threads still appear.

IOW--in response to yesterday's thread---"Mormons must have DROPPED dberrie"--here is your response:
    I always tell members of this message board that if they don't like how another guest here is posting, that they can make use of the Ignore setting and end the matter permanently.

dberrie2000

I always tell members of this message board that if they don't like how another guest here is posting, that they can make use of the Ignore setting and end the matter permanently.
    That's all fine and well--what is discomforting to me is your insistence one not post threads that name a particular poster--and then join in the fun when they do--as I demonstrated above.

If it's against the rules--then why wasn't the thread deleted--or some action taken? IOW--if violating the rules have no consequence--then why have rules?

If the action taken when the rules are violated is "ignore"--then the rules are mocked. That reminds me of the commercial where the bank robbery occurs--and the guard at the bank then reminds everyone he is not there to stop the bank robbery--but just to inform them when a bank robbery is taking place.

alanmolstad

here is how it works.

If any member of our forum believes that there is another member that has posted something that is against the rules, then the correct response is to report the post in question.
    I believe there is a place located in the lower left corner of every post on the forum that is for reporting such things.

When you do report on a post, please list the location of the post and the rule you believe might have been broken.

And then what?....

and then you have to trust that the Mod will look into the matter and make a judgement and take what ever action is needed.

If the member wants to take a more active step then I always give the same advice to members that they make use of the IGNORE setting that each member has, and clear all of the other guy's posts off their computer screen forever.

So in other words, each member here already has the ability to effectively clear posts off their computer and to ban other members from having their future comments appearing.
    This ability allows each member of this forum to make the final call as to who gets to have their posts appear on their screen or not.
    And this should allow the forum to be very much self-correcting as each member has the ability to control things to this length.

dberrie2000

So in other words, each member here already has the ability to effectively clear posts off their computer and to ban other members from having their future comments appearing.
    This ability allows each member of this forum to make the final call as to who gets to have their posts appear on their screen or not.
    But the rules are not for regulating what appears on our individual screens--but rather--what is posted on the website itself. Is that not correct?

alanmolstad

Once again, if a member thinks that someone has posted something against the rules, there are 2 things you can do.

The first, you can click on the little box or whatever it is, and REPORT the post you have an issue with.

Remember to state very clearly the location of the post you want looked at.
    also, list the clear rule that you think is broken.

Then?...

Then trust in time the MOD will check out the reported post and take any action if the MOD thinks its needed.

But what if the person does not see the post he had REPORTED disappear ? , or see any sign that anyone got in any trouble at all?

The fact is, most of the time you will not be able to tell what if anything is going on after you REPORT on a post.

Thus we have the IGNORE setting, and that should end the matter, as you have the ability to take control of what posts appear on your computer screen independent of what anyone else might do.

This should allow everyone to 'self-police' the forum all on their own.

As for deleting of posts and or topics?..you may refer to the Rules to check what to expect.

Now...that should end the matter.
    If there are other questions?, just drop me a private message and I will be happy to hear from anyone .
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.

dberrie2000

From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."
    Alan--could you show us where that is found in the "forum rules"?

alanmolstad

Actually, I noticed about a year ago that there was a topic aimed by name at Mr Ed Decker (who is a member of this message board too by the way).

Seeing that this was against the rules, I did two things.

#1 - I reported this to Jill, who after a week or so took down the topic in question.

#2 - I warned the person who started the topic that unless they took steps to have the topic cleared that I would place their name on my IGNORE list....

They refused....(They acted like they had a right to play by their own set of rules because of the actions of others too just like you are saying)

My response? I placed their name on my ignore list.

I later noticed that the offending topic had been removed and so I felt that as the correct action had been taken by Jill to maintain order according to the given rules, i then removed the person's name from my Ignore List....as i suggested other do also who had followed me in adding their name to their own Ignore lists.

The issue had been dealt with, resolved, and we all moved on.

Thus, at this moment I feel the need to also infor you that I have now sent a notice to the owner of this website that there is a new topic that has been given a ***le that is clearly against the rules of this message Board.

This is step #1...

Step #2 - is to also inform you that unless you stop "CHEATING" and playing by your own rules i will be forced to add your own name to my ignore list and suggest other follow in order to make a statement that ALL of us should show respect for Jill's rules.....
    What I have noticed is that people post nice and within the rules most of the time...

Then.....all of the sudden....they go nuts!

They post in a manner that they know full well is against the rules, but at that moment they dont carre.
    For whatever reason, they have come to the point where following the rules no longer matters.

They believe their words are just too important to be bothered with the rules.

they also seem to act offended when I tell them they are breaking the rules...

They act like this have such an important issue to raise with people, they breaking the rules is a moot point.

well...for them it is..
    But not for me.

The rules are in place so as to allow every person an equal footing when they visit this site.

People that break the rules want to force their posts on others...
    I have always worked against that way of posting here.

but a lot of people think breaking our rules is a badge of merit...they are proud of the fact that they dont keep the same rules,,,,they look forward to being banned by the MOD.

They consider being banned a sign that they are doing the lord's work.

I just consider such people foolish.

alanmolstad

What I am attempting to do is help members of our message board understand that there is a difference between attacking the "religion" of another member, and attacking them "personally".

Its a difference that is lost on a lot of people it seems.

A lot of people have come out of their past on-line experiences on other forums with the idea that attacking the other person in very personal ways is just another way to debate .

A lot of people have the idea that it's not wrong to insult the other members of a forum in very personal ways.

A lot of other people also tend to "make it personal" when they get frustrated during a debate, or find that the other person has said something that struck a raw nerve.

Regardless, what happens here is that they will get a "WARNING" from me in different ways depending on the situation.
    Mostly I try to point out that they are breaking the rules and hope they will take the hint.

But, do most people take the hint?......No, not right away that is for sure!

The problem is, that some people, no lets say that its "most people" that are guilty on this forum of breaking the rules, don't take the hint and change.
    When I press them to change and conform their posted comments to be within the rules, they respond by telling me that because they are so sure what they are saying is so important, that they think for them the rules no longer should apply.

In fact when I tell them that they must conform to the rules they tend to act offended by my request, almost as if I have no right to try to make them follow the same rules everyone else is following.

This is why people get banned.

Im never happy this has to happen.

Im never happy that another member of the message board has the word "BANNED" listed under their name.

But I am trying to maintain order on an internet message forum, where people can post their views on religious topics without fear of being attacked personally.

So every once in a while I have to BAN a member who simply does not play by the rules.

I do allow people to respond to my WARNING, I do allow them to send me a Private Message where they can step forward and make their case to me as to why they should not be banned.

But only if the person understands that they have to make their case respectfully...

They can state their case to me, and I will read what they have to say and then make a judgement call as to what should happen next.

I would have hoped people would use their opportunity to send me a Private Message wisely and used that chance to try to mend fences, and yet a lot of people have just used it as a chance to return to the same type of personal attacks that got them in trouble in the first place!

and, that turns out to be not very smart.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 04-23-2017 at 05:32 AM.