Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problem of Hell

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    We have already Libby. Didn't you read any of the posts?
    No, you haven't, Billy.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by TheSword99 View Post
    The creators of Wikipedia are the first to admit that not every entry is accurate and that it might not be the best source of material for research papers.
    This particular article just happened to raise some questions that I have thought about on my own. I am not presenting it as an "authority" on anything. Just a jumping off place for discussion.

ActRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    No, you haven't, Billy.
    Interesting. I don't understand how what God wants can be unjust.

Libby

The same reason that people who commit crimes that span a short period of time can spend their entire life in prison.
    Okay, I missed this. That's something to think about. But, most of us don't commit such grievous sins....and even a lifetime in prison is not eternity. Eternity...I can't even comprehend...and can't imagine a crime big enough to warrant an "eternal" punishment. Plus, it's not just punishment (like being locked up in prison) but, "Torturous" punishment. A person is, supposedly, being tortured eternally. What kind of crime warrants that?

Not believing about God correctly? Really?

ActRaiser

Okay, I missed this. That's something to think about. But, most of us don't commit such grievous sins....and even a lifetime in prison is not eternity. Eternity...I can't even comprehend...and can't imagine a crime big enough to warrant an "eternal" punishment. Plus, it's not just punishment (like being locked up in prison) but, "Torturous" punishment. A person is, supposedly, being tortured eternally. What kind of crime warrants that? Not believing about God correctly? Really?
    That's your problem. God is God. We are not. We are not eternal. We cannot comprehend God. But God comprehends us and what we need in order to comprehend what he wants us to.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by ActRaiser View Post
    Interesting. I don't understand how what God wants can be unjust.
    If you believe in a just God, then he has to act like a just God.

I know some Christians don't like simple logic, but I can't seem to help myself.

ActRaiser

I know some Christians don't like simple logic, but I can't seem to help myself.
    Simple logic? What's so hard about believing God is smarter than us? He knows what's just.

Billyray

And who determines what is a "just God" you?

Libby

That's your problem. God is God. We are not. We are not eternal. We cannot comprehend God. But God comprehends us and what we need in order to comprehend what he wants us to.
    If we are not eternal, then how can we be punished eternally?

And, simply, stating that we cannot understand God is really not good enough. That's how people can judge and do things "in the name of God" that are, sometimes, horrendous.

Libby

And who determines what is a "just God" you?
    I think I am required to make that judgment, yes, if I am going to believe and follow such a God. I am responsible for what I believe and promote, Billy....and so are you.

ActRaiser

If we are not eternal, then how can we be punished eternally?

And, simply, stating that we cannot understand God is really not good enough. That's how people can judge and do things "in the name of God" that are, sometimes, horrendous.
    God "gives us" what we need to live forever.

Besides stating that God's word isn't what he said is a good way to give people one way tickets to Hell.

Libby

Simple logic? What's so hard about believing God is smarter than us? He knows what's just.
    And, so do I. It's not really that difficult...or shouldn't be.

Billyray

And, so do I. It's not really that difficult...or shouldn't be.
    Then why do you think that you can judge God and His justice?

Libby

Then why do you think that you can judge God and His justice?
    I am not judging it, Billy...for the millionth time.

I don't see it as justice and I don't think anyone really could...including God.

Billyray

I am not judging it, Billy...for the millionth time.
    Who determines what a just God should or should not do? You?

Libby

Who determines what a just God should or should not do? You?
    If we are expected to worship and revere God, yes, certain things must make sense....otherwise, we are worshiping a devil in disguise.

Yes, we are responsible for what we believe and promote.

Pa Pa

What verses in the Bible about Hell do you interpret differently than me to lead to your your disbelief in Hell?
    My theory about Hell is this...once someone thinks they have beat it, feel the need to pull up the ladder because the boat is full.

Billyray

Yes, we are responsible for what we believe and promote.
    So you decide what God should or should not do and what is fair or unfair. I got it.

Libby

So you decide what God should or should not do and what is fair or unfair. I got it.
    No, but I am responsible for my beliefs and what I promote. So are you.

Billyray

No, but I am responsible for my beliefs and what I promote. So are you.
    So is God unfair to send a person--who does not come to Christ-- to hell?

James Banta

Okay, one step at a time. ***uming that we all deserve some kind of "punishment" for our sins, how do you justify an eternal punishment for sins committed during a very short period of time? How is that just?
    Easy we all deserve complete and total ****ation.. Eternal separation from God, spiritual death.. IHS jim

TheSword99

I, sincerely, wish that someone would, at least, try to make their best case for why a loving and benevolent God would send "most" of his creation (his children, IMHO) to a fiery, burning, ETERNAL hell. Can anyone make sense of that? Are most of us really such horrible sinners that we deserve that kind of treatment....really??

Think about it.
    Libby God doesn't "send" anyone anywhere. People who do not want God will get their wish which is eternal separation from God. Hell is everything God is not. I have heard people say they would rather be in hell with their friends then be with God. God gives everyone a choice. He will not force Himself on anyone who does not want Him. But God so loves the world that he offers heaven and salvation as a free gift. We only need accept this wonderful gift.

Libby

So is God unfair to send a person--who does not come to Christ-- to hell?
    If hell really is some horrible eternal "torture"...yes.

TheSword99

Someone once said that God doesn't send anybody to Hell, because across the road to Hell he has placed the cross of Christ. So many people will not submit to a higher power. This is true of the lds. The idea of being gods in embryo, working towards a higher level of heaven and eventually being a god of one's own planet shows no reverence for God and certainly no submission if they believe they can achieve godhood.

Libby, Jesus said hell is real and he warned about it. I would rather give God the benefit of the doubt and believe it's a literal place, then to be wrong and find oneself there after death and eternally separated from God.

There's a p***age in Luke about a rich man who wakes up in hell. He begs Abraham to warn his brothers who are still alive on earth that hell is real. You can say it's just a story, but wouldn't you rather be on the side of caution and give Christ a chance?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by TheSword99 View Post
    Libby God doesn't "send" anyone anywhere. People who do not want God will get their wish which is eternal separation from God. Hell is everything God is not. I have heard people say they would rather be in hell with their friends then be with God. God gives everyone a choice. He will not force Himself on anyone who does not want Him. But God so loves the world that he offers heaven and salvation as a free gift. We only need accept this wonderful gift.
    This I believe (I don't believe God sends anyone to hell). I don't believe the separation (which WE create) will be eternal. God is drawing all back to him.

"But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself."