Thread: An obvious question.

Default An obvious question.

To state the obvious, this forum and others like it are places where people
    discuss and argue over things they believe to be true about God and His
    Word. Much of our arguments are based on faith, faith that God’s character
    and trustworthiness are as the Bible says and of course that the Bible itself
    is reliable. Ultimately though, we cannot prove most of what we believe,
    obviously to each other here and sadly to the many who have no use for
    God. So this question must be asked as I’m sure it has been in many ways.
    Why isn’t God more obvious? There is more suffering and trouble today
    than ever, why doesn’t He give the world a sign? God was revealed through
    many wondrous signs and miracles throughout the Bible, why doesn’t God act
    that way today? Any thoughts?

MacG

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    Three short hand verses, no, four, as I am sure you know them already:

They had Moses and the prophets

They killed the vineyard owner's messengers and then his son

"at least let me go back and warn my brothers". "Even if a man should come back from the dead they will not believe."

The creation itself testifies of God.

So much for the pla***udinal apologetic Last month I watched "Machine Gun Preacher" based on the extant life of Sam Childers. It is a wild ride. He runs an orphanage in Africa where the so called Lord's Resistance Army is reigning terror on Africa. That Sam Childers is alive today is a miracle of sorts. But why no whithered hands being restored? Why are there Siamese twins born today? Why does the LRA get to terrorize as long as they have? The list may be endless and I just do not know.

My hope is that God makes it all right in the end. What I do know is that God is just, righteous, and did not spare His own Son tremendous suffering on our behalf. That, too, is incomprehensible. Maybe that is why. It is incomprehensible that God would do such a thing. The Jew fror 400 years probably wondered the same thing whille captive in Egypt, I am sure they wondered the same thing. To quote Billy Graham's daughter after the World Trade Center collapse "We have for 40 years asked God out of our public systems...". Here is a full verse "Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you."

Perhaps he is distant because people reject Him to begin with. What if all the world were born again?

Grace and Peace,

Quote Originally Posted by MacG View Post
    Three short hand verses, no, four, as I am sure you know them already:

They had Moses and the prophets

They killed the vineyard owner's messengers and then his son

"at least let me go back and warn my brothers". "Even if a man should come back from the dead they will not believe."

The creation itself testifies of God.

So much for the pla***udinal apologetic Last month I watched "Machine Gun Preacher" based on the extant life of Sam Childers. It is a wild ride. He runs an orphanage in Africa where the so called Lord's Resistance Army is reigning terror on Africa. That Sam Childers is alive today is a miracle of sorts. But why no whithered hands being restored? Why are there Siamese twins born today? Why does the LRA get to terrorize as long as they have? The list may be endless and I just do not know.

My hope is that God makes it all right in the end. What I do know is that God is just, righteous, and did not spare His own Son tremendous suffering on our behalf. That, too, is incomprehensible. Maybe that is why. It is incomprehensible that God would do such a thing. The Jew fror 400 years probably wondered the same thing whille captive in Egypt, I am sure they wondered the same thing. To quote Billy Graham's daughter after the World Trade Center collapse "We have for 40 years asked God out of our public systems...". Here is a full verse "Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you."

Perhaps he is distant because people reject Him to begin with. What if all the world were born again?

Grace and Peace,
    Greetings MacG,

Thanks for your reply and a good one it is. I guess people will always try to find the path of least resistance, so even a free gift is too much work.
    Psalm 10:1 says, "Why do You stand afar off, O Lord? Why do You hide in times of trouble?". So my question has always been asked. I often wonder if in His
    patience and mercy God will allow something like Noah's ark to be found so that people will get one more reason to believe.

Hello Disciple, MG,

As you stated no doubt, “many”, saved or lost ask this exact question for more exposure from the work of His hands. It would lessen so many problems the world faces – so no, not why not “more” proof, but why not an abundance of it? But you are oh’ so correct with the t-i-tle “obvious”. It is within us to seek Him wherever He goes and whatever He does. He put that curiosity within us all to see what we would do with our portion, no?

So we all, just and unjust share in the same line of questioning; why no more help from above? No one dare ask if somehow we did attack what lacked on our part to turn this key, that the fishing nets are indeed ready to start bursting right now all over the world for believers to have unbelievers once again gasp in wonder. Yet we continue on the same.

Then who is in who’s corner of reasoning more, the godly with the ungodly resolve, or the welcomed swap? Of course, this much we are ***ured of coming from unregenerate requests as they cannot yet find anything they previously asked for beyond God’s fundamentals which is to all mankind that He graciously sends. So it appears we are molded to them and left with the same common spiritual appet-i-te, yet the only one’s capable of bringing any such proof into fruition.

So, while we sit on the edge of this barrier of why and spend a certain portion of thought to answer it, could we not ask from known truths we have, while having our house in check as in remaining “content”, doesn’t God know we want the “finger of God to benefit something or someone in need? Of course! How silly, seeing He is all-wise, but we are not. He exhibits all providence towards man, but we are unprepared. What? Me, a born-again Christian, unprepared? Allow me a little further.

First, let’s get past this proof thingy. If you can bring yourself to it, upon the altar lay this request just once (oh fleece). Put a tolerable request in prayer for one bitter day to contrast all we should be otherwise content over, then see if the Father considers that worthy of your inspection. In other words, give me awareness Father!

Mine went fulfilled in bitterness for the bulk of the work day I requested it and has not returned once since. Afterwards, I began to see even smaller things I had up to that point missed and pet-i-tioned and to my delight and delirious awareness found supplied.

Please filter this once with kindness from me, for I inwardly perceive this as possible rebelliousness to move from the “why”, to the why can’t I? I don't mean that except for the most careless type that would stumble upon my words. Well, why can’t we encounter a little adventure in this journey, perhaps?

God bless you richly!!

Mike.

Greetings Mike and thanks for your reply.

I do understand what you are saying, but I think that in our humanity (oh wretched men that we are) we cannot help asking why sometimes.
    I cannot remember the exact thought or feeling when in His mercy God turned my heart of stone into a believing heart of flesh, so I cannot put myself
    back into that unbelieving mindset. So I ask of the unbeliever, "why can't you see and believe it is so obvious"? But I must remember at one time it was not that way
    for me, it was not so obvious. So while my original question is meant as fodder for discussion, it is not meant to question the sovereignty of God.

Hello there, I appreciate the sensitive handling then. For if nothing but the simple joy of salvation and life in the Spirit, traditional fellowship, the man who used to be wretched is now content and by His grace “sufficient”. If such fodder of highlighting the absence was your intent in showing those who don’t have, and cannot find a reason to believe, then by all means.

Unbelievers where also “astonished” in biblical times. I guess I fail to see where my misapplying abundance to absence in your thread, though related, they do not run in tandem.

alanmolstad

Why isn’t God more obvious?
    ......I remember the story of the parting of the Red Sea...and how quickly even that seemed to be forgotten as we soon read how the people that saw this mighty act of God also soon decided to go back to worshipping a different god.

So it would seem that when it comes to us humans, the more obvious God steps into this world the less faith people have in him.

alanmolstad

There is more suffering and trouble today
    than ever, why doesn’t He give the world a sign?
    It's very understandable that we look around at all the suffering of people in this world and demand God tell us why he allows it?

The Book of *** deals with this very issue.
    *** suffered much due to no fault at all of his own....yet he was cursed..
    *** asked God why He had done this to him?

God's answer is not the answer we are seeking.
    He simply pointed out that we are different than God.

So in the end, it comes back to a matter of faith and trust in God, even if you never understand the reasons this world is the way it is.

alanmolstad

30 years ago I was in a Bible study cl***...

And during one cl***, a girl asked the question, "Why does God not act like he did back in Bible days?....So that people could see things and know it's true?"

alanmolstad

what I read tells me that God reaches out to all men....and that God shows himself in the things that are made.

This can mean many things...

One of the things it means is that each day we receive a "light" from heaven.
    And each day I should try to respond to that light that came forth from heaven.

one of the temptations to Jesus was this idea of making a "big splash"

doing things that would prove to all that he was God Almighty....doing things no other human could do,,,doing things that would leave no doubt in his power...