Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Joining the Mormons? Here's Why Mormons Leave the LDS!

Default Thinking of Joining the Mormons? Here's Why Mormons Leave the LDS!

Are you being approached by Mormon missionaries? You might want to take a look at the poll which asked Mormons why they left the LDS? It's informative, and might be a reason for giving a whole lot more thought before being rushed into baptism by those charming Mormon missionaries:

Reasons Mormons Leave the LDS
    This is an interesting poll, and I thought it provided good insight into why people are fleeing Mormonism:

A poll survey of former Mormons by Mister Poll asked responders to indicate up to seven reasons as to why they left the Mormon Church. Sorted by percentage, here are the most common results:

General disbelief of Joseph Smith as a chosen prophet (6%)
    General disbelief of the Book of Mormon (5%)
    Emphasis on blind faith / Obedience to church leaders (5%)
    Found more peace outside the religion (4%)
    General mindset of the fanatics of the LDS religion (4%)
    LDS/religious logical fallacies/manipulations (3%)
    Cult-like temple ceremonies (3%)
    Book of Abraham (3%)
    Character of Joseph Smith (3%)
    Desire to uphold personal ethics (3%)
    LDS stand vs. intellectuals (2%)
    Brigham Young's teachings (i.e. blood atonement, race, etc) (2%)
    Polygamy (2%)
    LDS vs. feminist views (2%)
    Book of Mormon archaeology (2%)
    LDS stand on gay issues (2%)
    Fatigue/ depression (2%)
    Racial issues (2%)
    Unanswered prayers about LDS "truth" (2%)
    General dissatisfaction with apologetic (church scholars) answers (2%)."
    (posted on Religious Tolerance.org)

It's interesting that the highest percentage of former Mormons left after learning about Joseph Smith's character. You watch any apologetic forum, and if Joseph Smith is attacked in any way (and it isn't attack but rather disclosure of the facts), the Mormons will jump all over that post! They'll badmouth the poster, demean him or her, etc. That's how they generally work. But, I don't think all their ranting and raving has done much good because people want the truth, not excuses! Smith was a sexual predator, there's no way to get around that. He "married" 14 and 15 year old girls, and the wives of other Mormon men. He was a typical cult leader who used his position for power, money and sex. Look at Koresh and Jones - they did the same! Consider the facts carefully folks!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

nrajeffreturns

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Are you being approached by Mormon missionaries?
    Yes. In fact, I run into them almost every Sunday! Is that crazy, or what?

You might want to take a look at the poll which asked Mormons why they left the LDS?
    I'd rather look at one which asks converts to the LDS church why they left Evan-ism.

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by nrajeffreturns View Post

I'd rather look at one which asks converts to the LDS church why they left Evan-ism.
    I would like to see both.. Can both of you send me the polls in question? I wonder which of you will respond first, or for that matter at all... IHS jim

RealFakeHair

Yeah, I bet you keep running into the female missionaries most offten. lol.

I have found those we leave the Christian faith for Joseph Smith jr. Imagainary mind is most offten because their cup was empty.

nrajeffreturns

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    I would like to see both.. Can both of you send me the polls in question? I wonder which of you will respond first, or for that matter at all... IHS jim
    I don't plan on providing a poll for you, James, but the book "From Clergy to Convert" has the stories of people, in their own words, of what they found lacking in their former church that they pastored, that they found not lacking in the LDS church. You can get the book used for cheap on Amazon I bet.

nrajeffreturns

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    In towns where I have lived, we mostly had elders, and no sister missionaries.

I have found those we leave the Christian faith for Joseph Smith jr. Imagainary mind is most offten because their cup was empty.
    I have found that for most who describe the church in terms like that, it's because their minds were empty.

Snow Patrol

http://tmapsey.hubpages.com/hub/Top-...e-Christianity

1.God just never shows up. They can see no proof of God's existence, not evidence of any intervention, especially in times of natural disaster and major economic adversity, such as hunger and AIDS epidemics in Africa.
    2.Their prayers are not answered. Once again, they see no evidence of any intervention from God, whether they are praying for themselves or others.
    3.They see no difference in at***ude and behavior between Christians and Non-Christians. Non-Christians are equally capable of living a moral life as Christians.
    4.They have had several bad experiences in churches. (i.e. corruption, abuse, coercion, greed, gossip)
    (I thought this was exclusive to LDS?)

5.The Bible contradicts itself, as well as with morality and reality. The Bible makes several claims that to a rational human being, just don't make any sense.
    6.They do not understand why a God that loves everyone would send anyone to hell. For example, people of other religions (we're talking millions of people here), according to the Bible, would end up in Hell because they have not accepted Christ. If God truly loves everyone, why would he doom all of those people to torture in hell for eternity?
    7.The Bible contradicts science and nature. According to the Bible, the world is only 6,000 years old, while science has proven that the world is, in fact, much older. This is only one instance in which science trumps the Bible.
    8.They realize that all religions claim to be the only true religion, and only one can be right. This causes them to doubt that out of all of the religions in the world, Christianity would be the only way.
    9.They see no evidence of anything supernatural, including God. Throughout history, supernatural beings have been used as a way to explain things that humanity did not understand.
    10.They realized that Christianity is a faith that borrowed several of its stories and teachings from older traditions, such as Paganism.
    11.They realize that, contrary to Biblical teaching, that people are inherently good. They cannot grasp the concept of original sin.
    12.They see more harm than good being done in the name of Jesus. (i.e. The Crusades)
    13.Christianity is too oppressive. Practically any natural human behavior can be labeled as a sin in at least one denomination.
    14.Christianity suppresses knowledge and creativity. Because science and nature contradict the Bible, Christians steer people away from discovering the scientific truth.
    15.Christianity suppresses human sexuality. (i.e. premarital sex, contraception, ****sexuality)

James Banta

I don't plan on providing a poll for you, James, but the book "From Clergy to Convert" has the stories of people, in their own words, of what they found lacking in their former church that they pastored, that they found not lacking in the LDS church. You can get the book used for cheap on Amazon I bet.
    Since, not surprisingly, neither of you were willing to show me your evidence I went looking.. I look in LDS sources and found this from Elder Marlin Jensen the former LDS church official historian. He said "members are defecting from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "in droves" and that the pace is increasing." Who is right here jeff? A statement made by a GA in 2012 or statements from a book published in June of 1983. A 30 year old statement by a professor of Entrepreneurship at BYU or the LDS official church historian? Seems to me that because of this conflict of opinion that the highest authority is that which should hold the edge in believability.. Not withstanding your claims I will hold that mormonism is losing members in droves just as Elder Jensen admitted.. This is why the LDS church had to create an office to handle church resignations.. IHS jim

RealFakeHair

In towns where I have lived, we mostly had elders, and no sister missionaries.

I have found that for most who describe the church in terms like that, it's because their minds were empty.
    I am surprised you even think I got a mind. The empty space between my ears is a good place to store candy corn.

Since, not surprisingly, neither of you were willing to show me your evidence I went looking.. I look in LDS sources and found this from Elder Marlin Jensen the former LDS church official historian. He said "members are defecting from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "in droves" and that the pace is increasing." Who is right here jeff? A statement made by a GA in 2012 or statements from a book published in June of 1983. A 30 year old statement by a professor of Entrepreneurship at BYU or the LDS official church historian? Seems to me that because of this conflict of opinion that the highest authority is that which should hold the edge in believability.. Not withstanding your claims I will hold that mormonism is losing members in droves just as Elder Jensen admitted.. This is why the LDS church had to create an office to handle church resignations.. IHS jim
    Great points!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

James Banta

Lets take these one ant a time and put them into some reality..

1.God just never shows up. They can see no proof of God's existence, not evidence of any intervention, especially in times of natural disaster and major economic adversity, such as hunger and AIDS epidemics in Africa.

This is a common complaint of the atheist.. But doesn't even mormonism hold that this world has been contaminated by sin? Of course.. Then it is the works of men that made this world a place where these evils exist. Would we expect God to take away our free agency and correct our every mistake, or is it part of this mortality learning that bad choices can have very bad consequences? Is God not there because He would have us learn those consequences as compared to the joy we can know in obedience?

2.Their prayers are not answered. Once again, they see no evidence of any intervention from God, whether they are praying for themselves or others.
    Are prayers not answered because God doesn't send and angel or appear to them working a miracles? It reminds me of the story of a man up on his roof makes some repairs when he started to slide.. He called out "God save me". Just then his pants got caught on a nail and he says "Never mind".. The works of God are all around us daily. If someone is so hardened as to not see them that doesn't mean that He isn't there working wonders even if they seem small..

3.They see no difference in at***ude and behavior between Christians and Non-Christians. Non-Christians are equally capable of living a moral life as Christians.
    Excuse me but doesn't the Bible teach that we are all created in the image of God? Even in out natural state we are all capable of knowing and doing good.. What we aren't capable of is having faith in Jesus as our Might God, our everlasting Father, our prince of peace, our Lord, and Savior without a new birth. A birth of God in spirit instead of only having the first birth of flesh.

4.They have had several bad experiences in churches. (i.e. corruption, abuse, coercion, greed, gossip) (I thought this was exclusive to LDS?)
    Seems like the Bible is right again that our hearts are deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. In ourselves, that is our flesh, we are enemies of God. For all have sinned. When that sin emerges in our flesh we all are abusive, greedy and all the other bad traits you have listed.. The way we act doesn't change God in any way He is still Holy, and Just..

5.The Bible contradicts itself, as well as with morality and reality. The Bible makes several claims that to a rational human being, just don't make any sense.
    Again a claim made by atheists. There is no contradiction in the Gospel, no contradiction in the Law, and none in the prophets.. A mistaken transposition of a kings name is not a error in the or a contradiction in God's word.. It doesn't effect the truth of the word.. Such a error was there in the days of JESUS and he had nothing to say about it.. I don't bring up that same error that exists in the BofM.. It just doesn't mean anything..

6.They do not understand why a God that loves everyone would send anyone to hell. For example, people of other religions (we're talking millions of people here), according to the Bible, would end up in Hell because they have not accepted Christ. If God truly loves everyone, why would he doom all of those people to torture in hell for eternity?
    God has provided a way for all to receive his salvation.. He gave Jesus to us that who ever would believe Him would not die but have everlasting life.. How much more can you expect than to give Jesus as a ransom for our sins? If men belittle that gift to the point that they call it a lie and just go on with their lives like they had never sinned the why blame God after all He did to save them? God is more than all Loving. He is also all Just. The two must endure together.. That is why Jesus came in the first place.. To become sin so we can become the righteousness of God in Him.. God tells us that no one has an excuse because He is revealed in all He has made.. If a person responds to that creation and confesses that God is God, well that would be their salvation.. There is no reason to believe that anyone will be able to claim that "I DON'T KNOW"

7.The Bible contradicts science and nature. According to the Bible, the world is only 6,000 years old, while science has proven that the world is, in fact, much older. This is only one instance in which science trumps the Bible.
    The Bible calls a day a period of time where God worked.. In Chapter 2 pf Genesis we are told that God created the heavens and the earth in one day "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens" Gen 2:4. Therefore a day doesn't have to be a 24 hour period.. We have no idea how long Adam was in the Garden or what was going out outside it. After all Satan had been cast out of heaven and on to the earth.. So is the earth only 6,000 years old or is that how long God has been dealing with man?

8.They realize that all religions claim to be the only true religion, and only one can be right. This causes them to doubt that out of all of the religions in the world, Christianity would be the only way.
    That would depend on who God is wouldn't.. Is God a being that dealt with man through the works of a war lord in the Arab world. Or a man that taught that state of oblivion is the man's ultimate goal? Maybe that a never ending cycle of rebirth as a a cow, or a fly is our fate? I have shown you that the Bible teaches historic and scientific fact. While these other religions, the religions of men have taught things like the world in built on the back of a giant turtle the Bible says that God created the CIRCLE of the earth and hung it on NOTHING.. The teaching of the earth being flat was a common belief of the Greeks who before the NT was compiled referred to the earth having four corners.. Sadly that statement became part of the culture of the world that was under Greek influence and found it way into the Bible, the meaning then being the remote places of the world..

9.They see no evidence of anything supernatural, including God. Throughout history, supernatural beings have been used as a way to explain things that humanity did not understand.
    There is still eyewitness testimony of the parting of the Red Sea, as well as the miracles of Jesus. Sure these things can be denied but they can't be disproved.

10.They realized that Christianity is a faith that borrowed several of its stories and teachings from older traditions, such as Paganism.
    Yes I have heard many.. Some about the birth of Jesus, some about baptism.. But the difference being that those stories all see the "Hero" ending up dying to leave only legend behind.

11.They realize that, contrary to Biblical teaching, that people are inherently good. They cannot grasp the concept of original sin.
    They can say that but I can point to the acts of evil conquers through the ages that subjugated their "victims". I can point to men that in the name of God murdered hundreds of people foolish enough to follow them. I can point to the decline of out morals in this country allowing million of babies to be murdered all for the convenience of a woman and her family.. Pollution in the name of making money, The harsh treatment of people that were a bit different, enslaving them even killing them. That doesn't reflect well on the "inherently good" you tell me is found in people..

12.They see more harm than good being done in the name of Jesus. (i.e. The Crusades)
    RIGHT! Not all men that call themselves Christian are really children of God through faith in Christ.. We can only see their works to make that differentiation. The Crusades are not listed in the works the Apostle James explains are the evidence of saving faith..

13.Christianity is too oppressive. Practically any natural human behavior can be labeled as a sin in at least one denomination.
    While it is true that "All have sinned" it is also truth that to the Christian all things are legal. They are not all expedient (1 Corinthians 10:23)

14.Christianity suppresses knowledge and creativity. Because science and nature contradict the Bible, Christians steer people away from discovering the scientific truth.
    I would need examples of that. Examples that are not from the distant past.. Christians don't put our trust in what men in the past have taught but only what God has taught us in His word.. Are we not told in the prophets that in the last day learning will be increased? And the believer stands against the word of God? Is that what mormonism believes about the Christian church?

15.Christianity suppresses human sexuality. (i.e. premarital sex, contraception, ****sexuality)
    If you call these SINS God ordained humans sexuality YES we will teach against these sins. We will tell all who are interested in serving God that these sins are against his word and against His commandments.. That have been so from the first time God gave His law to Moses. Most every civilization of the world historic or not has seen these sin as being destructive to the civilization and humanity in general. There have been laws man has made to control these nasty godless indulgences..

When did mormonism start seeing many of these anti bible, anti God rationalization men have used as part of their beliefs? If they aren't they don't belong of this channel.. IHS jim

Sir

4.They have had several bad experiences in churches. (i.e. corruption, abuse, coercion, greed, gossip) (I thought this was exclusive to LDS?)
    Seems like the Bible is right again that our hearts are deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. In ourselves, that is our flesh, we are enemies of God. For all have sinned. When that sin emerges in our flesh we all are abusive, greedy and all the other bad traits you have listed.. The way we act doesn't change God in any way He is still Holy, and Just..
    But that is the point. Christians claim to leave the "church" based on this.

And your wife has even claimed to leave the LDS because of this as well.

So what you're saying is your wife's reasoning for leaving, when basing it on the above, is fallacious and excuse-making.

RealFakeHair

Got this off the ex-mormon sight. The RM found this book (By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus" by Charles M. Larson.) And after reading the book he exited the church.

nrajeffreturns

Got this off the ex-mormon sight. The RM found this book (By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus" by Charles M. Larson.) And after reading the book he exited the church.
    So? I exit the church every Sunday--it's kind of necessary if I want to get home!

nrajeffreturns

Since, not surprisingly, neither of you were willing to show me your evidence I went looking.
    Hey, I informed you of accounts that explained the reasons why some people leave other churches and join the LDS church. I can't help it if you planned to fail to take those accounts into...account.

I look in LDS sources and found this from Elder Marlin Jensen the former LDS church official historian. He said "members are defecting from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints "in droves" and that the pace is increasing." Who is right here jeff?
    I am, because my claim was simply that I would rather see polls that asked converts to LDS the reasons why they left their former churches.

Do you now understand what I said, and why your "Who is right?" question is invalid?

nrajeffreturns

Great points!
    Lousy points, actually, as I just explained.

I bet you're right! You know how Mormon men have to scope out the field since they are going to have a whole bunch of wives in their highest heaven!

And well he should have. I have that book myself. The book of Abraham is great evidence proving that Smith couldn't translate a single noun from Egyptian!

Sir

I bet you're right! You know how Mormon men have to scope out the field since they are going to have a whole bunch of wives in their highest heaven!
    You are gullible that you probably believe that, especially given your penchant for conspiracy theories.

But, oddly enough, James Banta wasn't a Mormon anymore when he scoped out a woman to cheat on his wife with.

Which of the two scenerios above is worse?

nrajeffreturns

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Any scenario in which a faithful LDS person is involved, is the worse situation.

---Handbook of Anti-LDSism, Chapter 1.

neverending

And well he should have. I have that book myself. The book of Abraham is great evidence proving that Smith couldn't translate a single noun from Egyptian!
    Let's not forget that there has never been any evidence of "Reformed Egyptian" anywhere. The Book of Abraham has already been proven false by one of the LDS' own members who is an expert in Egyptology. And when one compares the original BoM with todays copy, there are over 3,000 changes. The language in many areas had to be changed because it was full of improper grammar. My thought has always been, if God was helping J. Smith with the translation of the gold plates, why so many areas of poor grammar? God who know ALL things certainly would know the English language. Now one can see where the statement, "talking through your hat" came from.

James Banta

But that is the point. Christians claim to leave the "church" based on this.

And your wife has even claimed to leave the LDS because of this as well.

So what you're saying is your wife's reasoning for leaving, when basing it on the above, is fallacious and excuse-making.
    At that time she was ready to become inactive but still believed the lies that the LDS church are based.. I had convinced her that this action was of people not of the church.. At that TIME I WAS ST UPID. I didn't know that the Church is the people. the called out ones, the body of Christ. I had convinced her that the actions of these people were their own and not what the church taught..

After this last demonstration of LDS acceptance as their Bishop posed as a homeless man and he was so completely rejected our claims against the LDS church in it's lack of caring have been again confirmed.. Scream to the top of your lungs how loving the mormons are and I will point to these examples of their lack of care.. Remember your Bible? "When you have done it to the least of these, my brothern, you have done it unto me.." Mormon seem to have forgotten that..

Still it wasn't until we saw the doctrinal reasons from the Bible why mormonism was wrong that we left it.. The teaching of the church that many Gods exist, that even for this world there are three.. The teaching that God had to become God, that He had to earn that place and was a mere mortal man before He came to be God.. The idea that God's grace is gain though obedience to laws and ordinances.. After seeing that these things are false did we not only become inactive but left the church and united with other Believes in Biblical truth.. IHS jim

James Banta

You exit a building. The Church is the regenerate believers in Jesus. His Body.. Do you exit the Body of Christ every week? Come on Jeff you knew what was being said here.. IHS jim

Sir

At that time she was ready to become inactive but still believed the lies that the LDS church are based.. I had convinced her that this action was of people not of the church.. At that TIME I WAS ST UPID. I didn't know that the Church is the people. the called out ones, the body of Christ. I had convinced her that the actions of these people were their own and not what the church taught..
    So you were st upid to believe the actions of the people were not reflective of the church. Since you believe the actions of people ARE the actions of the church, how do you reconcile your adultery with the church, since it happened after you left Mormonism and was a "Christian"?

After this last demonstration of LDS acceptance as their Bishop posed as a homeless man and he was so completely rejected our claims against the LDS church in it's lack of caring have been again confirmed.. Scream to the top of your lungs how loving the mormons are and I will point to these examples of their lack of care.. Remember your Bible? "When you have done it to the least of these, my brothern, you have done it unto me.." Mormon seem to have forgotten that..
    You realize the same thing happened in a "Christian" church, right? You seem to always want to point fingers at the LDS church, without thinking through the fact that your criticisms actually attack your own faith far worse, since you believe they are the indwelt of the Holy Spirit.

neverending

You are gullible that you probably believe that, especially given your penchant for conspiracy theories.

But, oddly enough, James Banta wasn't a Mormon anymore when he scoped out a woman to cheat on his wife with.

OH, and there has never been any Mormon who has been unfaithful to their spouse? Give me a break! There are none righteous, no NOT ONE! What of all the disgusting Scout Leaders who have molested young boys? And the Bishops who have protected those pedophiles? Come down off your high horse since it's not good to throw stones when one lives in a gl*** house!! You are overly obsessed with my family aren't you along with people's ages too. Hmmmm, have you thought about getting some professional help?
    And let's not forget that it is YOUR church that claims to be the "Only True Church" but so many certainly don't live it's teachings. Don't go about claiming you have the truth but fail to live it. Why do so many LDS women have to take anti-anxiety meds or anti-depressants? Because the pressure put upon them by their husbands, Bishops and even your prophet is more then they can bear. It' hard enough to be a mother, and wife and then for many to have to work outside the home and be expected to be perfect. I feel very sorry for those trodden down women. Jesus told us to, "come unto me ye who are burdened and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matt. 11:28) Having Christ in your heart and life, no one should feel pressure, no one should worry for He will walk with us, will carry our burdens for he promised he would never leave us, nor forsake us.
    Last edited by neverending; 12-04-2013 at 11:28 AM.