Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another example of mormon honesty

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Why are you using what you believe my take is--as a standard for believing or not believing the scriptures? You should believe the scriptures regardless of what I believe.

2 Timothy 3:15-17---King James Version (KJV)

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Hair--where is your Bible?
    RFH is making a point that you deny the correctness of the Bible.. Your doctrine as explained in the AofF tell us that you see the Bible as true only as far as it is translated correctly. You offer no correct translation, the "Inspired Version" is always held as incomplete. The LDS cling to the KJV as their official translation. Only when LDS doctrine and the Bible come into conflict is the translation questioned. It is to bad that that often happens.. Do you really believe that the Bible is able to make a man wise unto salvation or is a temple that the Bible never teaches needed to gain full salvation.. Come on be honest LDS teachings place doubt even the p***age you quoted.. Then there is your Apostle of the 19th century that said it is doubtful that even one verse holds the same meaning as it did as it was first recorded (Divine Authority of the Book of Mormon, pp. 45).. You prophet of just a few years ago denied faith in the Jesus taught in that very Bible ((Deseret News, Church News section, Salt Lake City, Utah, week ending June 20, 1998, p. 7). All along even from that day the Church contended that the Bible is pure having the same message as it did the day it was recorded.. Where is your faith in the word of God and in the God revealed in that word.. IHS jim
    Last edited by James Banta; 01-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post---Why are you using what you believe my take is--as a standard for believing or not believing the scriptures? You should believe the scriptures regardless of what I believe.

2 Timothy 3:15-17---King James Version (KJV)
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Hair--where is your Bible?
    Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    RFH is making a point that you deny the correctness of the Bible..
    I know. But the Bible is true regardless of what he believes about me--and we should both use it and believe it.

Matthew 7:19-21---King James Version (KJV)

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Your doctrine as explained in the AofF tell us that you see the Bible as true only as far as it is translated correctly. You offer no correct translation, the "Inspired Version" is always held as incomplete.
    I use the KJV--and believe it is an amazingly well preserved translation, even though we might have some translations that differ from it, that some claim are better translations.

James Banta

use the KJV--and believe it is an amazingly well preserved translation, even though we might have some translations that differ from it, that some claim are better translations.
    Archeology has continued to be a growing science and much has been rediscovered since 1611.. Yes the KJV is a wonderful translation. It's fidelity to the original language is a awe inspiring... But archeology has given us knowledge of older m****cripts in the original language. Ignoring them because the KJV of the Bible is "good enough" is reminiscent of the old joke that if "The KJ Bible was good enough for Paul, it's good enough for me"..

The LDS are ones that are some of the closest of all people that say they believe the Bible in clinging tightly to that old joke.. BUT as you scoff at other more recent translations You complain about our resistant to what you call more of God's word and then turn around to deny the modern translation that have the benefit of archeological discoveries that show a different look at some old questions.. Questions like, is Mark 16:8-20 really part of the scripture, if a woman was taken in adultery, the very act, where was the man? Why shouldn't we use the light on the scriptures that God provides? IHS jim

Because this thread was created to level accusations of criminal behavior against a specific person by name, I think it's only right that the outcome of the situation be reported here as well.

Yesterday, a jury acquitted former Utah attorney general John Swallow of all charges against him.
    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43353861&nid...of-all-charges

alanmolstad

not really a case I knew of or followed...

read the link and it sure seems to be a mess going on wherever this is...

as for the guy himself/..I dont know anything ab out him except for this last bit of information we see on your link:

" In addition to state and federal investigations, Swallow was the subject of a Utah House Special Investigative Committee probe in 2013. The panel of state legislators concluded that Swallow hung a veritable “for sale” sign on the attorney general’s office door.

Swallow "compromised the principles and integrity of the office to benefit himself and his political supporters. In so doing, Mr. Swallow breached the public’s trust and demeaned the offices he held,” according to the committee.

The committee turned over its 200-page report to law enforcement.

Swallow remains a defendant, along with Johnson, in a Federal Election Commission civil lawsuit, alleging he helped arrange illegal campaign contributions to Shurtleff, Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Reid.

thats all I know of this case or the people in it.