Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question has sprouted.

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    No, your interpretation of the p***age supports all of the Americas being the promised land. Not the same thing.
    But other than the teaching of the academics at BYU you have no authoritative from the prophet, or any prophet for that matter who the LDS believe specks or has spoken for God who has taught the limited geography theory of BofM lands.. But you and your idols at BYU know better than your prophets don't you? IHS jim

James Banta

I don't think you can, but neverending said that you have.

Actually, what it says is that the Smithsonian Ins***ution has never used the Book of Mormon in archaeological research.
    That is what I said.. There has been no research into the BofM at all.. All American anthropology points to the vast majority of American population coming from Asia. There is some evidence of small expedition coming from Africa, and northern Europe. But as for the vast majority science tells us of human population making the immigration across the Bering land bridge beginning 16,500 years ago, during the Late Glacial Maximum. That theory has received intense study from all repeatable ins***utions dedicated to anthropology.. IHS jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    But other than the teaching of the academics at BYU you have no authoritative from the prophet, or any prophet for that matter who the LDS believe specks or has spoken for God who has taught the limited geography theory of BofM lands..
    First, I was going to say that's false, but I'm not sure I understand that sentence.

Anyway, it doesn't matter; because were not a mind control cult, we're allowed to think for ourselves, rather than having all our thoughts spoon-fed to us by a leader.

RealFakeHair

But other than the teaching of the academics at BYU you have no authoritative from the prophet, or any prophet for that matter who the LDS believe specks or has spoken for God who has taught the limited geography theory of BofM lands.. But you and your idols at BYU know better than your prophets don't you? IHS jim
    I love the limited geography theory the LDSinc. Now have. It goes like this, "hey guys look over here, no not there here."
    "Here Where?" We christians asks. "You know, here where the book of Mormon was found." "You mean Hill Cumorah in New York, but there was nothing found there." We christians answer.
    "No not that Hill Cumorah, but the one in South America." The LDSinc. Replies. "Where is that Hill Cumorah?" We christians asks.
    "We don't know." is the LDSinc. Answer, "But it is there if you just had the faith to know." The LDSinc. Keep telling us.
    Go figure!

James Banta

First, I was going to say that's false, but I'm not sure I understand that sentence.

Anyway, it doesn't matter; because were not a mind control cult, we're allowed to think for ourselves, rather than having all our thoughts spoon-fed to us by a leader.
    Ok it was a bit wordy.. Not one of your leaders, your prophets, have taught the limited geography theory of the BofM.. That teaching comes from your intellectuals at BYU..

Not a mind control cult? Really? I have seen LDS general conference.. The tone of the speakers is voiced for the purpose of calmly controlling the mind.. It's like a eastern cult's mantra.. Listen closely at fast and testimony meeting.. "I know Joseph Smith was a prophet and that this is the one true Church". This LDS mantra is another another mind control method.. Mormonism is a mind control cult.. Even in the denial of what the BofM teaches as to the nature of God shows that control. Or that David was an abomination to God because of polygamy and then spin 180 degrees and say David was justified in having many wives. In holding such beliefs you reveal that your mind is under the control of those that teach the party line in Mormonism, namely the First presidency. I won't call you out for holding beliefs that you have gained from a distorted view of James. He does teach that our Faith must work.. But the non even anti Biblical doctrines of mormonism have all been planted in your mind through years of repe***ion.. That is mind control..

Can you point to THE LEADER of the Christian Church? Even Billy Graham wasn't THE leader of the Christian Church. The Only Leader of the Christian Church is Her Lord, Jesus. I can point out such a man in Mormonism.. Mormonism has had a strong central leader since Joseph Smith first started to invent his church.. Not one of the Christian posters here knows who the Pastor of my church is, and I don't know who theirs are. Yet we all hold the same doctrines of Who God is, or how salvation come to a person. We have no higher authority than the local church to dictate to us what we will study in Sunday School, or what the men's groups will be focusing on.. Do the different Elder Quorum or High Priest groups make such decisions for themselves or do those decisions come from the central authority of the church in Salt Lake? Trying to show that the Christian Church is involved in mind control has opened up an avalanche of reasons why mormonism a mind control cult and the sects of Christianity are not.. IHS jim
    Last edited by James Banta; 02-04-2014 at 05:41 PM.

neverending

So you truly believe your religion is not a mind controlled cult and that you're allowed to think for yourselves? Dry that out and you can fertilize your lawn. Speak your mind during Priesthood Meeting and see how fast you'll find yourself in your Bishop's Office answering his questions. Mormons live in fear all the time. Fear that if they ever do question anything and someone finds out they will be labeled an apostate and be excommunicated and shunned. James and I took a small tract around our neighborhood many years ago. It had a picture of Jesus standing outside a door about to knock and the scripture verse that says, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." (Rev. 3:20) Within a month James and I were kicked out and the reason, Apostacy. We had neighbors who didn't even know us gossiping and saying all manner of lies about us. This happened around the end of August. Come Halloween, we never had one child come trick or treating and even watched as neighbors would cross the street so they didn't have to walk in front of our home. What is so sad is that we never lost our belief or faith in Jesus Christ. What we learned was that we had not been worshipping the true Jesus Christ; instead we had been lead down the primrose path; believing a false Jesus from the demented mind of JS.
    Now, what do you say about this statement, "When the Prophet speaks the debate is over". N. Eldon Tanner, August Ensign 1979, pages 2-3.
    As you can plainly see, you don't have the right to question anything and I will again say, a church that has ALL the answers, doesn't allow any questions.

Last edited by neverending; 02-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    I love the limited geography theory the LDSinc. Now have. It goes like this, "hey guys look over here, no not there here."
    "Here Where?" We christians asks. "You know, here where the book of Mormon was found." "You mean Hill Cumorah in New York, but there was nothing found there." We christians answer.
    "No not that Hill Cumorah, but the one in South America." The LDSinc. Replies. "Where is that Hill Cumorah?" We christians asks.
    "We don't know." is the LDSinc. Answer, "But it is there if you just had the faith to know." The LDSinc. Keep telling us.
    Go figure!
    Oh yes just like that chest of treasure that was always just a few feet deeper than it was an hour before. Those pesky treasure guardians always moving the gold so it was always just out of reach.. I guess the Hill Cumorah and the wagon loads of plates was just like that.. Hey if there were so many plates hidden in caves when did the Nephites have time to do anything but make and record what ever, on plates.. Sometimes this stuff get too ridiculous not to at least smile. IHS jim

Quote Originally Posted by neverending View Post
    So you truly believe your religion is not a mind controlled cult and that you're allowed to think for yourselves?
    Clearly it is not.

Now, what do you say about this statement, "When the Prophet speaks the debate is over". N. Eldon Tanner, August Ensign 1979, pages 2-3.
    It depends on the context in which it's used, of course, but in general I'll do what the president of the church did and reject it.

James Banta

Clearly it is not.

It depends on the context in which it's used, of course, but in general I'll do what the president of the church did and reject it.
    Can you show us where following the prophet has been rejected by the prophet? We did show you where a GA (Prophet and President of the LDS church) taught it. I think showing us where it is rejected is in order.. IHS jim

Can you show us where following the prophet has been rejected by the prophet?
    No, but see below.

We did show you where a GA (Prophet and President of the LDS church) taught it. I think showing us where it is rejected is in order..
    Actually, you showed me where a GA (but not a president of the Church) taught "When the Prophet speaks the debate is over." However, I confused this with another statement that was rejected by President George Albert Smith, so I take back my previous statement. In context, N. Eldon Tanner and Elaine Cannon, whom Tanner was quoting, were referring to the revelation of eternal principles and God's will through his prophet. It certainly did not mean that we "don't have the right to question anything."

neverending

Clearly it is not.

How who's moved the goal posts? Oh, yes let's not accept anything that a leader of your church has spoken and then try and say, "It depends on the context in which it's used." What a load of nonsense. As it is with ALL Mormons, if something doesn't fit with your doctrines, then by heaven, it must not have been used in the right context or you all go even further and take things OUT of context. You admit that you do your own thinking....I say BS! If you do that, you're going to get into hot water eventually. And you're admitting that you don't accept everything your prophet speaks or teaches. How do you honestly answer the questions during a renewal of your temple recommend?

neverending

No, but see below.

Actually, you showed me where a GA (but not a president of the Church) taught "When the Prophet speaks the debate is over." However, I confused this with another statement that was rejected by President George Albert Smith, so I take back my previous statement. In context, N. Eldon Tanner and Elaine Cannon, whom Tanner was quoting, were referring to the revelation of eternal principles and God's will through his prophet. It certainly did not mean that we "don't have the right to question anything."
    I needed to add this: "If the prophet can be wrong about important issues, even doctrinal issues, then can we as members of the kingdom challenge the prophet on controversial topics? Often critics cite the following couple of quotes from Church magazines provide the answer:
    "When the Prophet speaks the debate is over".
    N. Eldon Tanner, August Ensign 1979, pages 2-3
    "When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan-it is God's plan. When they point the way, there is no discussion, it should mark the end of controversy," stated a part of the ward teaching message printed in the Improvement Era, June 1945, p. 345. Written by Lee A. Palmer under the supervision of the Presiding Bishopric. This was to teach Ward members how to sustain the leaders of the church. When members sustain by the raising of one's hand, they are promising to follow their leadership and abide by their council as the "Living oracles of God." Is this NOT then telling ALL members that they are not allowed to do their own thinking? If having sustained this men and then begin doing your own thinking, you're opening yourself up to Satan and being lead toward apostasy.
    However, some members also cite other talks that church leaders have given that states that the prophets are not always inspired such as this quote from Harold B. Lee:
    It is not to be thought that every word spoken by the General Authorities is inspired, or that they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost in everything they write. I don’t care what his position is, if he writes something or speaks something that goes beyond anything that you can find in the standard church works, unless that one be the prophet, seer, and reve-lator -- please note that one exception -- you may immediately say, “Well, that is his own idea.” And if he says something that contradicts what is found in the standard church works, you may know by that same token that it is false, regardless of the position of the man who says it.
    “Sustaining the General Authorities of the Church,” Improvement Era, June 1945, pg. 354.
    Further reading: Mormon Liberals: Friends or Foes?, David Bailey
    A Final testimony, Hugh B. Brown
    Editor comment: It's kind of hard to answer this question with just a few quotes from various church leaders. However, we can say with some surety that if you publicly disagree with the church leadership over certain issues, you will be subject to church discipline."

Also, ""...learn to do as you are told,...if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it, none of your business whether it is right or wrong." - Herber C. Kimball, 1st Counselor to Brigham Young. Journal of Discourses, v.2, p.106

As I've said, if you question your prophet, and it is done where someone will hear, don't think you won't be in your Bishop's office before you know it. Your church does not take kindly to anyone questioning anything, that is how they control the members.

As I've said, if you question your prophet, and it is done where someone will hear, don't think you won't be in your Bishop's office before you know it. Your church does not take kindly to anyone questioning anything, that is how they control the members.
    You can say it all you want, but it won't magically become true.

neverending

You can say it all you want, but it won't magically become true.

Really? It happened to me and all it took was a small tract that was given to our neighbors within a block of my home. The track didn't even criticize the church or its leaders. Guess subject is closed.

Really?
    Really.

It happened to me and all it took was a small tract that was given to our neighbors within a block of my home. The track didn't even criticize the church or its leaders. Guess subject is closed.
    So because you have spoken, the debate is over?

neverending

Really.

Yes, since all the thinking has been done

RealFakeHair

Really.

The fact is when debating about mormonism, you are debating over something that isn't there. You can't debate over something you can't feel, or touch with your hands, or see with your eyes. Mormonism is and will always be just a human feeling or as they like to say. "gut feeling.
    Last edited by RealFakeHair; 02-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.

neverending

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    The fact is when debating about mormonism, you are debating over something that isn't there. You can't debate over something you can't feel, or touch with your hands, or see with your eyes. Mormonism is and will always be just a human feeling or as they like to say. "gut feeling.
    Let's not forget the burning in their bosoms....which for me is heartburn. Anyone can get a good feeling about something if they want it bad enough or they are doing it to please someone. How often do members of the LDS Church raise their hands to sustain a new prophet or some other leader within their church but maybe someone knows some dirt but yet they will still raise that right hand. Seems dishonest to me but they do it out of fear and what others will think of them. It is also all about appearances. Shame that they don't live for Jesus Christ and are more concerned about men and what those men will think of them.

James Banta

No, but see below.

You are right the "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet" were not given by the President of the Church at the time.. It was given by Ezra Taft Benson while he was President of the Quorum of the Twelve. When I was LDS the man who held that position was ordained, and sustained by the church as a prophet, seer, and revelator.. If His words are approved by the prophet they are as much the word of God as if the president of the Church had spoken them.. I claim President Benson's teachings here as my authority for showing that a LDS who has sustained the President of the church as God prophet are required to obey him as he would God.. And that when he specks the "thinking has been done".. Benson teaches that these "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet" are the Key of eternal salvation (https://www.lds.org/liahona/1981/06/...ophet?lang=eng)..

In no way do these things negate the teachings of Tanner or Elaine Cannon on this subject. Their statements seem to summarize the teaching here expanded by President Benson.. IHS jim
    Last edited by James Banta; 02-08-2014 at 09:23 AM.

alanmolstad

who has sustained the President of the church as God prophet is required to obey him as he world God.. And that when he specks the "thinking has been done"..

Thats the real thing i see and the real problem I have with every single mormon i have ever worked with or talked to.

How can they look at statements like that from their leadership and not think to themselves "Im in a Cult!"

It SCREAMS Cult!!Cult!! Cult!!!

Statements like this are the very definition of what being in a Cult is like and what its known by.

"The thinking has been done"?
    Who in their right mind talks like this to other people?
    Who in their right mind would allow other people to talk to them like this?

I cant even imagine what i would do if I ever heard someone tell me to "Stop Thinking"
    They would see no more of my shadow on their door that is for sure!

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Thats the real thing i see and the real problem I have with every single mormon i have ever worked with or talked to.

How can they look at statements like that from their leadership and not think to themselves "Im in a Cult!"

It SCREAMS Cult!!Cult!! Cult!!!

Statements like this are the very definition of what being in a Cult is like and what its known by.
    So--was Paul preaching a cult?

1 Corinthians 4:16---King James Version (KJV)
    16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

1 Thessalonians 1:6--King James Version (KJV)
    6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

Philippians 1:7---King James Version (KJV)
    7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

Romans 2:16---King James Version (KJV)
    16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Berean

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post

6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
    Nonsense

This is why we don't use the KJV, and why Mormon have no business spewing Bible verses out of context while attempting to tell us what it "really" says.

In the first place, Mormons do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and therefore it is impossible for them to discern, much less even understand the Gospel of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone, (which is why they reject it) much less attempt to teach those of us who do have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit what the Gospel is "really" saying.

Let's just say the KJV has some "issues," as do some of the heathen idol worshipers who use it exclusively.

CLICKING THIS LINK will take you to Strong's Interlinear, where you can see for yourself the Greek rendition of this verse, which clearly demonstrates that Paul is not calling it "his" Gospel. The KJV clearly gets this wrong. Either that, or someone is intentionally altering God's Word to mock Christians and promote lies concerning what the Bible "really" teaches.

The Greek renders: "according to the Gospel of me by Christ Jesus." You only get "you are partakers of "my" Gospel, if you re-arrange the words to suit your agenda to make it say that

This is also the problem with the false rendering of Philippians 1:7, which was also given above.

CLICK HERE for Strong's actual Greek rendering without the Mormon spin, which says:

"even as it is right for me this to feel about all of you so as to have in my heart you in both the chains of me and in the defense and confirmation of the Gospel fellow partakers with me of grace all you are."

Again, "partakers of "my" grace, is clearly an improper translation of Greek to English.

So folks, you have been slimmed.
    Last edited by Berean; 01-14-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Berean

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post

Upon further review, I just notice that every one of those verses has been butchered.

Let's go back and review the first two as well..

DBerrie insists 1 Cor 4:16 says:

"Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me"

Whereas in Greek, it becomes "exhort therefore you imitators of me become." CLICK HERE FOR PESKY LINKY

Yuge difference.

Now let's examine 1 Thes 1:6.

DBerrie claims it says: (to make the false claim that Paul was a "cult" leader)

"And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost."

Whereas Strong's Greek renders it:

"and you imitators of us become and of the Lord having received the word in tribulation much with the joy of the Spirit Holy" CLICKY THE LINKY HERE

Again... that's a YUGE difference.

We've been totally slimmed.

I feel dirty.

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post So--was Paul preaching a cult?

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    Upon further review, I just notice that every one of those verses has been butchered.

Let's go back and review the first two as well..

DBerrie insists 1 Cor 4:16 says:

"Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me"

Whereas in Greek, it becomes "exhort therefore you imitators of me become." CLICK HERE FOR PESKY LINKY

Yuge difference.
    Are you claiming the Bible is butchered? Berean--the Biblical verses I gave are direct quotes from the KJV Bible--as it indicates. If you have a problem with those verses--you might want to take it up with the translators of the Biblical text.