Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fig?

alanmolstad

Default Fig?

His name is Fig - bearing Thistle.

I liked the way he worded his posts.
    I liked the way he never was mean or nasty, and helped control the more hot-tempered posters on both sides of the aisle.

I liked that he caught most of my jokes.

but then...

And then he stopped posting?

Anyone know where he went off too?

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

I liked the way he never was mean or nasty, and helped control the more hot-tempered posters on both sides of the aisle.

but then...

Where he always goes... Back to CARM.. IHS jim

neverending

but then...

Probably ran off screaming into the night because he was sick and tired of your comments and you needing to say something on every thread. I think someone who does that is wanting attention, don't you, that or they are very lonely.

alanmolstad

shh, grownups are talking...

The thing about Fig I liked is that he seemed to really enjoy the posts and reading what people had to say.
    he was a bit stuck in that he only was interested in Mormon topics....but to each their own I guess....

Zeus

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    Where he always goes... Back to CARM.. IHS jim
    Quote Originally Posted by neverending View Post
    Probably ran off screaming into the night because he was sick and tired of your comments and you needing to say something on every thread. I think someone who does that is wanting attention, don't you, that or they are very lonely.
    No.

Fig finished his mortal race and went to be with his Heavenly Father.

Your non-LDS examples toward the LDS is noted.

alanmolstad

Zeus.......can you PM me any details.

I must confess I will grieve.
    he was one of the guys on this forum that seemed to enjoy a good laugh...and we are all less with his loss.

We never know when our earthly life will end - that is why it is so important to know that we are a child of God through faith in the Biblical Christ.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Yes.

No.

Fig finished his mortal race and went to be with his Heavenly Father.

Your non-LDS examples toward the LDS is noted.

By what authority do you say that Fig went to be with the Father? Was he 100% obedient to the commandments of Jesus? Had he become perfect as the Father is perfect? Had he completely overcome the world? He would be the first LDS I have ever heard of that became worthy of the first resurrection if this is what you are saying.. Seems to me it wasn't that long ago he admitted that he wasn't yet perfect.. The prophet Isaiah admitted that he was a liar, and that he lived among liars. He said "Woe is me for I have seen the Lord of hosts" (Isaiah 6:5).. If a great prophet such as Isaiah admitted that he had sin in his life, that he was a liar how can we believe that Fig was pure before God? Even Paul the Apostle said that "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Romans 7:19). If these men who were spiritual giants were sinner before God how much more a sinner was Fig, how much more a sinner are we all?

The ONLY way we can keep the commandments of Jesus the commandments that call for perfections is to have His righteousness imputed to us.

Romans 4:22-25
    And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
    Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
    But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
    Who was delivered for our offenses, and was raised again for our justification.

Was Fig so imputed with the righteousness of Jesus or did he rely on his baptism, his church membership, priesthood and his temple marriage? That is an important question. Do you know the answer? IHS jim

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    We never know when our earthly life will end -.....
    I as of yet have not been able to receive any more information on the p***ing of Fig.
    Be that it may, should Fig have p***ed away then I would feel very sad over this news.

Fig was at all times with me a true gentleman, never eager to put other people down, easy going when in dialog with me on many issues dealing with what was him main topic of interest, - "Mormonism"

I noted right away when I first came to this forum that Fig seemed to stand out among the Mormon visitors due to his posts that did not seem so steeped in anger and belligerence.

I also noted that when people would respond to his posts with what I felt were needless belligerence on their part,that Fig would turn the cheek and not respond to them in kind.

His fine character might be a credit to his parents and the fine way they raised him.
    I would hope this was something he could p*** on to his own children.

I'm not 100% sure why he stopped posting on this forum?
    I noted at the time that when he stopped posting here a few other Mormons also dropped out at about the same time.

I thought it was a shame they stopped posting here, but it's a free country..

If anyone knows more about Fig's story please drop me a Private Message , I would like it if you would bring me up to speed.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-15-2014 at 09:35 AM.

I as of yet have not been able to receive any more information on the p***ing of Fig.
    Be that it may, should Fig have p***ed away then I would feel very sad over this news.

Fig was at all times with me a true gentleman, never eager to put other people down, easy going when in dialog with me on many issues dealing with what was him main topic of interest, - "Mormonism"

I noted right away when I first came to this forum that Fig seemed to stand out among the Mormon visitors due to his posts that did not seem so steeped in anger and belligerence.

I also noted that when people would respond to his posts with what I felt were needless belligerence on their part,that Fig would turn the cheek and not respond to them in kind.

His fine character might be a credit to his parents and the fine way they raised him.
    I would hope this was something he could p*** on to his own children.

I'm not 100% sure why he stopped posting on this forum?
    I noted at the time that when he stopped posting here a few other Mormons also dropped out at about the same time.

I thought it was a shame they stopped posting here, but it's a free country..

If anyone knows more about Fig's story please drop me a Private Message , I would like it if you would bring me up to speed.
    Well, if works have anything to do with salvation, perhaps "Fig" was a winner. However, works have nothing to do with salvation, and the Devil comes in many guises. God alone knows a man's heart.
    Last edited by Apologette; 02-15-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

John T

shh, grownups are talking...

The thing about Fig I liked is that he seemed to really enjoy the posts and reading what people had to say.
    he was a bit stuck in that he only was interested in Mormon topics....but to each their own I guess....
    There is no accounting for taste, is there? ...but to each their own I guess....

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    There is no accounting for taste, is there? ...but to each their own I guess....

There are just so many posters on both sides of the aisle that I wish would learn from the good manners and good humor that Fig showed this Forum....
    Fig shared a good example on how to act, how to respond...and how to begin a conversation...

I will miss him.

I wish i could have gotten to know him better...but the internet forums being the way they are that just was not possible.
    I hope to learn one day if there are others that knew him as i did, and it would be comforting to be able to sit down on this forum with them and discuss Fig's posts and share stories...

But given the belligerent nature of everyone's posts, that's not going to happen.

Thus all I can say now is that I will miss the guy...

There are just so many posters on both sides of the aisle that I wish would learn from the good manners and good humor that Fig showed this Forum....
    Fig shared a good example on how to act, how to respond...and how to begin a conversation...

I will miss him.

I wish i could have gotten to know him better...but the internet forums being the way they are that just was not possible.
    I hope to learn one day if there are others that knew him as i did, and it would be comforting to be able to sit down on this forum with them and discuss Fig's posts and share stories...

But given the belligerent nature of everyone's posts, that's not going to happen.

The "belligerent nature of everyone's posts?" I think that's over the line. Truth cannot be compromised regardless of the situation. What Jim had to say was especially insightful and biblical. We can't abandon truth for the sake of appearing comp***ionate. Jesus never did. Conviction of the Holy Spirit unto repentance and faith in God the Son, Jesus Christ, is the Biblical path to salvation, and those who have exchanged the Biblical doctrines for the teachings of Mormonism (salvation by works, belief in polytheism, a "created" Jesus, that the Mormon deity is an exalted being from another planet, and that Mormons will become gods, along with their teaching that there is no salvation outside of the LDS Church) have gone their own way.
    Last edited by Apologette; 02-16-2014 at 09:07 AM.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    [B][SIZE=3]
    The "belligerent nature of everyone's posts?" I think that's over the line. ......
    Calm down, it's just my opinion...

But I do think that everyone would be far better off if they could temper down their reactions like was Fig's example.
    It's weird at times here....
    This forum almost died due to a lack of posts and posters, yet time and time again I see people acting like they believe that other posters should stop posting?.....

Its weird that some people would come to a open message board forum like this, and then get themselves upset at the fact that there are other people here posting comments.....(It's like, What did they expect?)
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-16-2014 at 10:55 AM.

I will miss him.

I knew him fairly well, for about 8 years, in various other forums and by email conversations we shared. He was just as you say, and his humility and most of all his patience with antagonists were a good example to me. I miss him and think of him often. I have talked to his wife (widow) and when I informed her of the forums in which he posted (she wasn't aware of how involved he was in internet-based apologetics) she told me she was grateful to know that he was a good influence in people's lives. His motto when seeing his beliefs, his intelligence, and his honesty attacked and mocked, was this:

"Turn the other cheek."

His young children should be grateful to have had him for a father even for the short time they knew him on this Earth.

alanmolstad

good post...

John T

Pot, kettle black

But I do think that everyone would be far better off if they could temper down their reactions like was Fig's example.
    I guess that you then approve of the MANY times that he was suspended, both here and on CARM for hurling insults instead of dealing with facts.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

His young children should be grateful to have had him for a father even for the short time they knew him on this Earth.
    he had young kids?...thats too bad.
    it will be a **** for them to deal with for a long time.

I was lucky that my dad lived until I was off on my own.
    but even then I have found that it's never as good later as it was when dad was alive.

There is the loss of Dad's experience, the helping hand that a dad can bring to a son's tasks.
    The advice that is no longer heard.

I have some friends who had to grow up without their dad from an early age, and you can tell when we talk that they really did have a harder time doing things that i took for granted because I grew up with a dad.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-17-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Pot, kettle black

I guess that you then approve of the MANY times that he was suspended, both here and on CARM for hurling insults instead of dealing with facts.

Exactly right JohnT. I recall debating him often on CARM. Too bad that he's dead, but we can't compromise the Gospel to accomodate our "wish" that somebody who denied the Biblical Christ, and in fact, used forums to promote the Impostor "Jesus" of Mormonism is somehow acceptable to God. We aren't acceptable to God in our own persons, because we are sinners and must have the covering of Christ's Blood.

Ultimately, this is why we post I think. So that people won't be lured into the destructive cult of Mormonism, a cult which teaches antichrist doctrines and, in fact, makes itself the vehicle of salvation. The cult teaches belief in Joseph Smith is necessary:

“[There is] no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith. If Joseph Smith was verily a prophet, and if he told the truth...no man can reject that testimony without incurring the most dreadful consequences, for he cannot enter the kingdom of God"

- Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines
    of Salvation, v. 1, p. 190

There you have it folks - you must accept Joseph Smith (not Jesus). And that's what Mormons do. Joseph Smith is the central figure in the Mormon cult. And, sadly, that is what Mormons promote - and if they die in that sin, then they die separated from the True and Living God.

Jesus said, the way is narrow. He also said that He was the Way. The Mormon Impostor Jesus is Another Way, a false way. It's always sad when a Mormon, or any other unsaved person, leaves this life with their sins unforgiven through the Blood of Christ, shed upon the cross. The wicked Mormon cult has taught its followers that water and Mormon Jesus' sweat in the Garden of Gethsemane save them.

MRM.org: "In his book "The Promised Messiah," Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie wrote, "Forgiveness is available because Christ the Lord sweat great drops of blood in Gethsemane as he bore the incalculable weight of the sins of all who ever had or ever would repent" (pg. 337). On page 552 of the same book McConkie continues by saying, "In a garden called Gethsemane, outside Jerusalem's walls, in agony beyond compare, he took upon himself the sins of all men on condition of repentance."

McConkie was a Mormon Apostle. You will never find a cross in a Mormon chapel or temple. Mormons have abandoned the cross, and in fact, diminish it. They eschew the Blood of Christ for a bloodless, works-based salvation. And they encourage others to do likewise. Furthermore, they claim they are destined for godhood, a godhood equal with that of their bogus "heavenly father," who Joseph Smith taught was a human being who grew up on another earth, who also had a father:

The false prophet and serial adulterer, Joseph Smith, taught: ""If Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and John discovered that God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that He had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son? Whenever did a tree or anything spring into existence without a progenitor? And everything comes in this way. Paul says that which is earthly is in the likeness of that which is heavenly, Hence if Jesus had a Father, can we not believe that He had a Father also? I despise the idea of being scared to death at such a doctrine, for the Bible is full of it.""

He also taught:

"We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see" (Teachings, pg. 345).

That's right, for Joseph Smith God was not always God. In fact, he grew up on another planet:

"It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. . . . He was once a man like us;...God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did"... (Gospel Principles, 1997 ed, p. 305)

These blasphemous teachings were confirmed by Mormon Orson Apostle Pratt: "We were begotten by our Father in Heaven; the person of our Father in Heaven was begotten on a previous heavenly world by His Father; and again, He was begotten by a still more ancient Father, and so one, from one generation to generation" (The Seer, pg. 132). (by the way, Orson Pratt later had to had over his wife to Joe Smith, but that's another story)

Read all about the blasphemous theology of God taught by the Mormon cult here: http://www.mrm.org/god-of-mormonism

Folks, a Mormon may be outwardly a nice person; outwardly easy to talk to - but the minute you attempt to share the truth of the Gospel with them, you'll see another side. They are totally sold out to Joseph Smith's antichrist system, and unless the True and Living God takes away the scales from their eyes, the sad fact is they WILL NOT SEE!

Thanks for reminding us of why we are here John. Good ***.

I might point out here that Fig used to cast doubt on the Holy Trinity. Here Fig posted a a thread questioning Russ's testimony of faith in Christ? You can find that thread right here:
    http://www.waltermartin.com/forums/s...earing+thistle

Then Mr. Fig proceeds to cast doubt on Russ's testimony (nicely of course). And then makes a swipe at the Holy Trinity:

"Where does the Bible say: "God is a Trinity" " Fig asks.

This is a cl***ic example of Mormon treachery. Of course, the Bible doesn't use the word "Trinity," nor does it use the word Bible (a Greek word) for that matter. However, the Bible clearly teaches the doctrine of the Trinity. One can find the biblical teaching here:

http://bible-truth.org/Trinity.html

Too bad that some depart from this world with faith in a rotten false prophet like Joseph Smith, who after all, said he'd be "god" to the Mormons. And so he is.

Ted Kennedy once said about the death of his brother, Robert: "Do not try to make him larger in death than he was in life." This is good advice.

alanmolstad

Yes, I used to love to debate topics with him too!

We disagreed on most everything, yet.....and yet I never felt disrespected.
    Fig was always a real gentleman with me, and that is something I will miss.

He was a good sport, witty, seemed to know how to turn a phrase that was both funny and interesting.
    Fig also wrote with a style that was easy to read....( a very rare gift)

We never agreed, but we were never disagreeable.

and that brings up the one thing that stands out the most now that Fig has p***ed and I have a chance to think back to him and what things i now take away from knowing him.

I think what I liked the most about him is that he brought out the best in me.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-17-2014 at 11:42 AM.

James Banta

He was a good sport, witty, seemed to know how to turn a phrase that was both funny and interesting.

and that brings up the one thing that stands out the most now that Fig has p***ed and I have a chance to think back to him and what things i now take away from knowing him.

He thought you were corrupt.. As you taught the truth of God's word he saw you as a man blinded by the deceit of men. having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof.. A blind guide who had already fallen in a ditch.. That challenge may have inspired you to search the word of God to confirm what was the truth but the more you told God's truth the more he was convinced that you were a liar.. Not really the salt of the earth was he? IHS jim

neverending

You're going to have to prove how Fig has brought the best out in you. First off, you don't know ALL the doctrines of the LDS Church and seem to not care. You sing the praises of an LDS man who has p***ed who believed in a false god and Jesus, believed that he could become a god himself, believed he must do good works to obtain his salvation, and that the only ones who can go to be with god are those who are members of his church and were baptized by someone with "Mormon authority", ie. priesthood. Believed that the Bible was corrupt and would pick and choose what he would accept out of it. After all, all LDS have the excuse that the Bible wasn't translated correctly. How do you see anything good in these doctrines or a man who believed in such lies?
    So, you can stop singing praises about a dead man, who was lost and is now in Hell! Alan, you have much to learn if you want to be on the Mormonism forum. I suggest you go and educate yourself before posting here again.

Did you ever happen to tell him that unless he repented of believing in the gospel of Joseph Smith, and put His faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, that when he died he would be eternally separated from the True and Living God?

alanmolstad

Im sure I always spoke what was on my mind....I only hope I did so in a manner equal to the fine manners that Fig always showed me.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 02-18-2014 at 03:34 PM.