Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fig will be missed. ( the p***ing of a forum member)

Libby

Fig was one of the kindest people I have ever known and he is very missed.

Alan, not sure how you found out about his death, but this thread, on this board, was one of the things I was hoping to avoid. People judging him and telling everyone he is burning in hell. He definitely does not deserve that. Appreciate your supporting posts, though.

We are not to place final judgment on anyone. That is God's alone.
    Last edited by Libby; 03-15-2014 at 12:15 AM.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Alan, not sure how you found out about his death, but this thread, on this board, was one of the things I was hoping to avoid. .
    Hi Libby, long time no see...

There is another topic that I started before this one , I think it's named "Fig?".
    ( http://www.waltermartin.com/forums/s...d.php?3310-Fig )
    I started that topic in the effort to see if anyone knew where Fig was?
    At some point news came that Fig had p***ed.
    I was and am sorry to hear he has left us.
    I'm told he had a wife and kids....

He was a good man, a nice and well-mannered member of this forum.
    He will be missed.

This topic was just my effort to remember him, and a place to have others who knew him to exchange thoughts.
    Yes, along the way you are going to find that not all the posts are going to be sympathetic.
    Fig was a Mormon who was known to post comments on Christian-based sites, so there is going to be a few members of the message board that have a ....well, colored history with their interactions with him.

But I took from his posts that he was a quiet man, not given to heated remarks.
    I remember how he would keep his comments short.
    I remember how he would use a line or two of space between paragraphs (Something I try to copy from time to time too).
    I remember how he used words that did not approach being insulting.
    I remember when he and I would debate a point that he would keep his target the "idea" and not attack the other person in a personal way.

All such things set a good example for the rest of us.

EDIT ADDITION:
    Libby on a side note, in drafting my comment above I went back to the topic ***led "Fig?" that I posted the link to and re-read all the comments.
    I learned a great deal about my ability to respond to the posts of others in my re-examination of that topic just now.

I note how my reactions to the posts of others and how their reactions to me seem to have a flow to them.

It's kinda an eye-opening experience to drop back and go over a whole topic like that from time to time to see how the more frequent posters on this forum respond to each other.

And thanks for your kind words.
    I will miss Fig....
    In the end all I can say to both sides of the cl***ic Mormon/Christian debate is that "Alan and Fig were friends, I pray that Fig has found rest" and leave it at that.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-15-2014 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Fig was one of the kindest people I have ever known and he is very missed.

Alan, not sure how you found out about his death, but this thread, on this board, was one of the things I was hoping to avoid. People judging him and telling everyone he is burning in hell. He definitely does not deserve that. Appreciate your supporting posts, though.

We are not to place final judgment on anyone. That is God's alone.
    Yes, he very kindly led people astray into Mormonism! You included.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Sheamus

There are many "nice guys" on the earth, but being good does not merit heaven. We are worthy only because of what Jesus did for us at Calvary. Sadly, the LDS church missed the boat on that one.

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by Sheamus View Post
    There are many "nice guys" on the earth, but being good does not merit heaven. We are worthy only because of what Jesus did for us at Calvary. Sadly, the LDS church missed the boat on that one.
    Yeah, but the mormon jesus made up for it in Joseph Smith jr. imaginary mind.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Hi Libby, long time no see...

There is another topic that I started before this one , I think it's named "Fig?".
    ( http://www.waltermartin.com/forums/s...d.php?3310-Fig )
    I started that topic in the effort to see if anyone knew where Fig was?
    At some point news came that Fig had p***ed.
    I was and am sorry to hear he has left us.
    I'm told he had a wife and kids....

He was a good man, a nice and well-mannered member of this forum.
    He will be missed.

This topic was just my effort to remember him, and a place to have others who knew him to exchange thoughts.
    Yes, along the way you are going to find that not all the posts are going to be sympathetic.
    Fig was a Mormon who was known to post comments on Christian-based sites, so there is going to be a few members of the message board that have a ....well, colored history with their interactions with him.

But I took from his posts that he was a quiet man, not given to heated remarks.
    I remember how he would keep his comments short.
    I remember how he would use a line or two of space between paragraphs (Something I try to copy from time to time too).
    I remember how he used words that did not approach being insulting.
    I remember when he and I would debate a point that he would keep his target the "idea" and not attack the other person in a personal way.

All such things set a good example for the rest of us.

EDIT ADDITION:
    Libby on a side note, in drafting my comment above I went back to the topic ***led "Fig?" that I posted the link to and re-read all the comments.
    I learned a great deal about my ability to respond to the posts of others in my re-examination of that topic just now.

I note how my reactions to the posts of others and how their reactions to me seem to have a flow to them.

It's kinda an eye-opening experience to drop back and go over a whole topic like that from time to time to see how the more frequent posters on this forum respond to each other.

And thanks for your kind words.
    I will miss Fig....
    In the end all I can say to both sides of the cl***ic Mormon/Christian debate is that "Alan and Fig were friends, I pray that Fig has found rest" and leave it at that.
    I have no problem with your very kind remembrance of Fig, Alan. Many of us do remember him kindly and with affection. It's just that I knew any expression of that, on this particular board, would not go without the judgments and unkind words, we have seen here, as a part of this board's "daily bread".

alanmolstad

1463168_10201093988256352_779226155_n.jpgLibby.....

This has been a weird year for me too>
    I have had to face a moment when I looked at my wife for what could well have been the last time.

All I can tell you is that "I am able to let it all slide"....and I think if you remember what Fig was like you would agree with me that he would not allow the rude comments of others get to him.
    That's kinda why I liked to read his posts, he never got snotty, he never got personal, and he knew when to press his point, and when to back away and show good manners.

I can tell you that while I wish he was here so we could pick up where we left off, I understand that when the good Lord calls you that is it.
    Time to go.

My only wish now that he has found rest.

I would hope that if things go not so good for me with my silly health issue, that you also find it in your heart to also wish that I find rest too.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-15-2014 at 08:55 PM.

I am already wishing you peace and rest, in both this world and the next, Alan.

By the way, in your updated photo, you look a bit different from your avatar!

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    1463168_10201093988256352_779226155_n.jpgLibby.....

This has been a weird year for me too>
    I have had to face a moment when I looked at my wife for what could well have been the last time.

All I can tell you is that "I am able to let it all slide"....and I think if you remember what Fig was like you would agree with me that he would not allow the rude comments of others get to him.
    That's kinda why I liked to read his posts, he never got snotty, he never got personal, and he knew when to press his point, and when to back away and show good manners.

I can tell you that while I wish he was here so we could pick up where we left off, I understand that when the good Lord calls you that is it.
    Time to go.

My only wish now that he has found rest.

I would hope that if things go not so good for me with my silly health issue, that you also find it in your heart to also wish that I find rest too.
    I'm very sorry to hear about your trials, Alan. I hope things are going well for you, now. I know what it's like to face death. I've been there, myself, and with several close family members. I wish you peace, no matter what happens....I wish that for everyone on this board.

You're right, that Fig would not have been bothered about unkind words - it wouldn't have changed the kind way he responded to people.

Take good care and God bless.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I am already wishing you peace and rest, in both this world and the next, Alan.

By the way, in your updated photo, you look a bit different from your avatar!
    its not the years...its the miles.

Thank you.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

alanmolstad

There are many "nice guys" on the earth, .....
    Im not so sure about that...

from what I have seen after about 10 years or so on the internet and seeing what goes on, even on forums that are aimed at attracting people that claim to be 'religious" I have my doubts that this world has all that many nice people walking on it at all.

guys like Fig are rare...
    The last of the "Gentlemen"