Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
Consider Ephesians 2:8 to 10. Ephesians 2:8 and 9 explains how we are to get into Christ. It also affirms that it is grace that saves a person through faith in Christ. There is also the fact that salvation is a gift. Verse 9 clearly states that it is not of works that we are saved in Christ. Now this is the way to get in Christ (saved) but what about when you are in Christ? Do you become like a plate of water waiting for the sweet by and by?

Ephesians 2:10 indicated that our time of work is upon us because we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Once we are in Christ Jesus we are expected to do works. This is not to save us, as it is clear that salvation has been bestowed upon us before the works are required.

My question to you is what happens if we do not do what God expects Christians to do? If you are going to be a Christian you have to do what a Christian is created to do. If a truck driver stops driving a truck, soon that person is no longer considered a truck driver. Performance has now become a factor (See John 15:1 to 10)

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
John 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
John 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
John 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Hello Saxon
I understand the point you are making and I agree that if we are new creatures in Christ we should act like new creatures, but this does not all happen at once.
1 Peter 1:5-8 says this,"But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." Many times the New Testament writers make a point of saying "We do not want you to be deceived brethren", and this is because obviously Christians can be deceived. Many are lulled into thinking inaction and complacency is fine, that is why we must study and encourage one another without becoming legalistic. One truck driver works 6 days a week, the other figures driving twice a month is enough. He is still a truck driver though perhaps lazy or misled. Lazy, misled or deceived Christians have not lost their salvation otherwise it was conditional based on performance. Laziness and apathy cannot chase out the Holy Spirit which dwells in each Christian but should bring about conviction and even chastisement. But sometimes professors are not possessors, who knows the heart but God. Remember John said in his epistle,"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us." Many who say this man was a Christian but has now become lost again were looking at a lost man all along.