Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My daughter came into town yesterday.

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    James, if "my" understanding of the O.T. is "in progress" (which means, I do not understand it, in total), how in the world could that mean it was superior to yours or anyone's??? Unless, of course, you are at that stage, as well (which I certainly didn't claim)....and, you sure don't act like you have anything to learn. The problem I have with you is that you don't really bear testimony of Christ. You bear testimony of being a "know it all". Sorry, but that's how you come across. You act like you, not only know everything, but what you know makes you better than everyone else. You are arrogant and extremely condescending.

When I come across people like that (and Christianity is full of them) I usually end up thinking they really know nothing. People who are humble and really know Christ, are patient, kind and forgiving. At least, that's what I've read in the Bible (and experienced from true Christians).
    You win... I know it all.. Now that you have won you can go away.. IHS jim

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Libby....you might want to overlook things that upset you....

(Im just saying, that its one thing to be talking about different ideas and teachings...its another to catch yourself talking about only the other person personally.)
    Alan, why don't you say that to James? He is the one who ALWAYS makes the conversation personal. Believe me, I am not the kind of person who normally does that, but James really needs to hear how he comes across, especially, if he's going to try and p*** himself off as some kind of "teacher". He is extremely offensive.

You can check this forum and see that I would much rather address issues and have done so, numerous times. I have started many threads and most all of my posts are on topic. I don't LIKE to get personal with anyone, but James has a very long history of saying rude and condescending things to me as well as to others.. and I won't put up with it anymore. If he wants to play that game, I will play it.

Notice, he doesn't like it much when he gets some of his own behavior thrown back at him.
    Last edited by Libby; 04-11-2014 at 12:30 AM.

alanmolstad

Alan, why don't you say that to James? .
    Because I ran into this post of yours that is really a clear sign .........

"The problem I have with you is that you don't really bear testimony of Christ.
    You bear testimony of being a "know it all"....
    You act like you, not only know everything, but what you know makes you better than everyone else.
    You are arrogant and extremely condescending.
    "

(and pointing to the other guy and saying, "He started it"?....that's what you are going with?)

I like to talk about topics, about teachings, about ideas..about religions, and salvation, and the Bible, and ways to do things...

I also suggest the use of the IGNORE setting if a person does not like the manners of others, as well as reporting the situation to the owner Jill.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 04-11-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Libby

Because I ran into this post of yours that is really a clear sign .........

"The problem I have with you is that you don't really bear testimony of Christ.
    You bear testimony of being a "know it all"....
    You act like you, not only know everything, but what you know makes you better than everyone else.
    You are arrogant and extremely condescending.
    "

(and pointing to the other guy and saying, "He started it"?....that's what you are going with?)

I like to talk about topics, about teachings, about ideas..about religions, and salvation, and the Bible, and ways to do things...

I also suggest the use of the IGNORE setting if a person does not like the manners of others, as well as reporting the situation to the owner Jill.
    And, I would suggest, to you, that it would be wiser to address the person who, not only started it (years ago), but continues it, everytime I come to this forum (which is not often, anymore). Otherwise, it appears that you are playing favorites or trying to protect your "Christian" friends.

I also enjoy talking about religion, Jesus and his teachings and all other things spiritual...especially with people who know how to have a civil discussion and who do not always take it to a personal level.

alanmolstad

And, I would suggest, to you, that it would be wiser to address the person who, not only started it (years ago), but continues it, everytime I come to this forum (which is not often, anymore). Otherwise, it appears that you are playing favorites or trying to protect your "Christian" friends.

I also enjoy talking about religion, Jesus and his teachings and all other things spiritual...especially with people who know how to have a civil discussion and who do not always take it to a personal level.
    ....."He started it...."

that's what you want to say eh?

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by theway View Post
    Maybe you need to read your Bible, it clearly states that there are degrees of sin. There is even one sin so bad it is unforgivable (in this life OR THE NEXT)
    I would love to see where there are degrees of sin can you show a reference? I show Rev 21:8 as proof that there are no such degrees of sin..

Rev 8:21
    But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and *****mongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

It would be a guess on my part to believe that you would say that murder or "***** mongering" (Adultery) would be a more serious sin than being fearful, or unbelieving but here God reveals that they are equal in the way He deals with them. Isn't that because before a Holy God sin any sin is serious unto death? Look at the list God has given in this p***age.. See the outcome of the whole list. From murder to lying the the result is the same the second death.. So what under heaven could be a degree of sin in the eyes of God? IHS jim

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by theway View Post
    total AntiMormon rubbish.... Has this really worked on anyone?

Thank you for agreeing with me that there are degrees if sin.... Although I don't get how that helps yours or James' case any???
    Has it worked? No more than telling a JW that Jesus is the Mighty God the everlasting Father and not the angel Michael.. They see that as anti watchtower rubbish.. Truth never the less is truth.. Mormonism is the only religion of all that call themselves Christian that praises a man and teaches that that man lays plans for for the church.. Mormonism has defied Joseph Smith, and while doing that they lay doubt that the Bible can be trusted right in their creed.. Of those that can read the ancient languages they will tell you that the KJV, the NIV, the NASB are all good and faithful translation. Such people will understand the impossibility of changing the text of the thousands on thousands of m****cripts held by churches all over the known world at the time they were in common use..

Jesus did teach us that there is one unforgivable sin.. All other sin can be forgiven but that one sin will never be forgiven.. You are in the process of committing that Sin. You believe in mormonism, in a man perfecting himself. In a salvation acquired by works. Yes in faith, and repentance but beyond that subsituting baptism as the means to become cleansed of sin instead of the blood of Jesus, then adding what men can do in the form of baptism and what you can try but fail to do in enduring to the end in righteousness. Each day you try to conform yourself to mormonism instead of allowing God to conform you to the image of Jesus you are one day nearing to your personal commission of that unforgivable sin..

If you have such a need to devide sin in to catagories you can divide the common sins of man such as murder, adultery, stealing, and lying from the unforgivable sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Those are your only two divisions. IHS jim

Libby

....."He started it...."

that's what you want to say eh?
    And, you don't care, as it appears you are more uncomfortable pointing a finger at James, than at me? Have you ever heard the saying, "No Justice, No Peace"?

Anyway, enough of this. Time to move on.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by James Banta View Post
    Say something deserving of respect and I will use a different tone..
    I could say the same of you (even more so). But, I don't think you're going to change, no matter what I say. You haven't even realized, yet, that we were agreeing, the whole time you were putting me down and twisting my words into something you "thought" I was saying. You really need to slow down and read more carefully. That, and dump the arrogant, know it all at***ude. We can learn something from almost everyone.

Till then I give in you win you can believe that God will judge all unconfused sin differently with more or less punishment maybe some will only have to dangle their feet in the Lake of Fire.. IHS jim
    See what I mean? I never said this or even implied it. This is not what I said and not what I believe. Want to try again?

(On second thought, nevermind. I never intended to stay here. I'm out. Peace and blessings)
    Last edited by Libby; 04-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.

James Banta

[Libby;154755]I could say the same of you (even more so). But, I don't think you're going to change, no matter what I say. You haven't even realized, yet, that we were agreeing, the whole time you were putting me down and twisting my words into something you "thought" I was saying. You really need to slow down and read more carefully. That, and dump the arrogant, know it all at***ude. We can learn something from almost everyone.
    I have agreed with you that you are right on that point... I DO KNOW IT ALL...

See what I mean? I never said this or even implied it. This is not what I said and not what I believe. Want to try again?
    It's not me that is saying all sin aren't equal in the sight of God that was you.. So if there are different levels of sin before God there must be different punishments.. I still would like to know what the different levels of punishment can be.. Are you also siding with the mormons that there are different levels of heaven?

(On second thought, nevermind. I never intended to stay here. I'm out. Peace and blessings)
    YEAH... IHS jim

alanmolstad

Ok....if that is all over now ?....then I think I might see a topic here worth posting on....

alanmolstad

are all sins equal?.........

My answer is "Well yes, and no"

alanmolstad

here is another question.....

are all punishments for sin the same?

"well yes and no"

alanmolstad

any challenges to this?......

You in the back there, got a question?

Libby

Okay, I can't leave while James is still making stuff up.

It's not me that is saying all sin aren't equal in the sight of God that was you.
    I never said that, Jim...and neither did Alan. You are simply not comprehending what is being said.

Please, at least, read Alan's posts, if you couldn't understand mine (and NO you didn't understand...again!)

YEAH... IHS jim
    Nice, Jim. You could type that and then put "In His Name"? If that was "In His Name" it was taking his name in vain.

Maybe I had better stick around for awhile.

alanmolstad

Okay, I can't leave while James is still making stuff up.
    um......I think the advice i gave was to "overlook" the things that upset you so.....

Libby

any challenges to this?......

You in the back there, got a question?
    I understand exactly what you're saying and where you're going with this. You are correct.

James is, for some reason, conflating the two separate points you are making.

We humans do make a distinction between sins. Some are worse than others and our punishments for those sins vary in degrees.

But, God makes no such distinction (according to the Bible). All sin, even the least of it, is ****ing to the soul.

Libby

um......I think the advice i gave was to "overlook" the things that upset you so.....
    I'm not going to overlook it, when someone puts words in my mouth that I never said. Sorry. Came back to clear the record.

alanmolstad

and libby said '

"
    We humans do make a distinction between sins. Some are worse than others and our punishments for those sins vary in degrees.

But, God makes no such distinction (according to the Bible). All sin, even the least of it, is ****ing to the soul.

(edited for emphasis....)

alanmolstad

guess what Libby.....God knows all sins are not equal too......its not just a human thingy

Libby

If we have a truly "just" God, I would think so. But, I think many of your Evangelical friends will disagree.

How do you Biblically justify that opinion? (Not saying you are wrong, just curious)

Libby

Found this online - someone who uses scripture to justify your position.

1. Christ tells Pilate that the Jewish leaders have committed a worse sin than him, saying, “He who has handed me over to you has committed the greater sin” (Jn. 19:11, emphasis mine).

2. Certain sins in the law are distinguished in a particular context as an abomination to God, implying that others are not as severe (e.g. Lev. 18:22; Deut. 7:25, Deut. 23:18, Isa. 41:24).

3. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is set apart as a more severe sin than blasphemy of the Son (Matt. 12:31)

4. Proverbs 6:16-19 lists particular sins in such a way as to single them out because of their depraved nature, separating them from others.

5. There are degrees of punishment in Hell depending on the severity of the offense (Lk. 12:47-48).

6. Christ often evaluates the sin of the Pharisees as greater than the sins of others. You strain out a gnat while you swallow a camel (Matt. 23:24). If all sins are equal, Christ’s rebuke does not make any sense. (See also Lk. 20:46-47)

7. Similarly, Christ also talked about the “weightier things of the law” (Matt. 23:23). If all sins are equal, there is no law (or violation of that law) that is “weightier than others.” They are all the same weight.

Comes from an interesting article on the subject.

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blo...id-statements/

Libby

You do realize, this issue is one of the talking points against Mormonism.

In Mormonism (as in Catholicism) they do believe in the gradation of sin. That God distinguishes and "blesses" accordingly.

alanmolstad

If we have a truly "just" God, I would think so. But, I think many of your Evangelical friends will disagree.
    you clearly think I hang with uninformed friends.....I dont

alanmolstad

How do you Biblically justify that opinion?

well...there are many Bible verses to support my views....as you likely guessed as i only believe what i can prove with the scriptures......