Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern translations change doctrine when compared to the KJV

alanmolstad

The original printing was made before English spelling was standardized, and when printers, as a matter of course, expanded and contracted the spelling of the same words in different places, so as to achieve an even column of text.[67] They set v for initial u and v, and u for u and v everywhere else. They used long ſ for non-final s.[68] The glyph j occurs only after i, as in the final letter in a Roman numeral. Punctuation was relatively heavy, and differed from current practice. When space needed to be saved, the printers sometimes used ye for the, (replacing the Middle English thorn with the continental y), set ã for an or am (in the style of scribe's shorthand), and set & for and. On the contrary, on a few occasions, they appear to have inserted these words when they thought a line needed to be padded. Later printings regularized these spellings; the punctuation has also been standardized, but still varies from current usage norms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    so far no listed mistranslated verse has been shown by anyone...

So the argument that the King James is somehow "better" is lacking in merit.

Now, about the errors in the book of mormon. . .THAT is a DIFFERENT story. IT gets 'better' with every new version!

All that after (didn't joe smith declare this?) it is called "the most perfect book on earth!" SUPPOSEDLY 'translated' by peeping into smith's hat at a rock to see what HIS god said!

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Now, about the errors in the book of mormon. . .THAT is a DIFFERENT story. IT gets 'better' with every new version!

All that after (didn't joe smith declare this?) it is called "the most perfect book on earth!" SUPPOSEDLY 'translated' by peeping into smith's hat at a rock to see what HIS god said!
    good point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    There was a recent discussion on another thread about modern translations of the Bible verses the KJV. A poster said that the modern translations change the basic meaning of the text. I pointed out that the doctrine is unchanged when comparing the KJV to the modern translations such as the ESV or the NASB. I would like to know more about this from the lds point of view. What changes in meaning do you guys see in the modern translations and what doctrine has been changed by these newer versions?

Anyone with the most RUDIMENTARY understanding of TRANSLATIONS knows that 'comparing' other texts to the kjv is idiotic; you should be COMPARING TO THE ORIGINAL-LANGUAGE TEXTS INSTEAD.

Comparing to the kjv is like comparing other cars to Yugos. The Yugo IS NOT the a valid thing to compare to. Neither is the kjv. The kjv is only a TRANSLATION, just like the thing you are comparing it to. It has its own errors. That is why it has been REVISED 7 times since it was originally translated, most of its errors corrected.

alanmolstad

while I use the KJ a lot in my work here, and while I grew up reading it ....and while I have both received it as a gift as well as given a king James as a gift, the truth is, I rely mostly on the NIV .

I like the NIV study bible I own due to the way it lists the many bible verses that share something in common with the verse Im reading.

With the rise of the internet I have learned that one of the best ways to prove a teaching is to post the address of a website that has listed all the different bible translations of a verse.
    This allows the person Im teaching to go over the very same verse in 20 different translations and this helps them get a very well-rounded understanding of what the Bible is saying there.

Default No google required! :)

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    while I use the KJ a lot in my work here, and while I grew up reading it ....and while I have both received it as a gift as well as given a king James as a gift, the truth is, I rely mostly on the NIV .

I like the NIV study bible I own due to the way it lists the many bible verses that share something in common with the verse Im reading.

With the rise of the internet I have learned that one of the best ways to prove a teaching is to post the address of a website that has listed all the different bible translations of a verse.
    This allows the person Im teaching to go over the very same verse in 20 different translations and this helps them get a very well-rounded understanding of what the Bible is saying there.

It is REALLY SAD that the internet and google are given the weight of 'experts' by so many people.

You can 'prove' anything TRUE OR FALSE to be 'right' or 'true' on the internet. . .even 'alternative truths!'

The ONLY way I know to TRULY PROVE a teaching is to show that GOD SAID IT IN THE TEXT OF SCRIPTURE. Beyond THAT, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN and can speculate ANYTHING.

The Bible says
    Judas went and hanged himself
    and
    go thou and do likewise
    and
    hurry; do not tarry

See what I 'proved?' PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT!

JUST REMEMBER. . .CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT.

STUDY the Bible. . .and REMEMBER. . .CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT.

And IF you watch the CONTEXT of what you read. . .the HOLY SPIRIT will 'prove' the Biblical teaching.

No google needed!