Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandra Tanner Interview: "I came to Jesus through the Bible...and the Book of Mormon"

Libby

I ***ume that you left Mormonism after some time, drifted back into SRF, and now are attending a Christian Church.
    I went directly from Mormonism into a Christian Church. I went to a mega church, in my area (Eastside Christian) for a whole year, but I did not do well there. I had been out of Christianity for years and a lot had changed, as far as style of worship. I felt very lost in this church, even though I attended with my two granddaughters. I attended their newcomers cl***es and actually joined the church. They told me baptism was not required, since I had already been baptized into a Christian Church at age eight. So, it was great in the beginning, but I was never able to make a real connection, there. I just felt lost. So, after a year of that, I dropped out and went back to the comfort and safety of the LDS Church! That was in 2009.

That lasted only about four months. I loved being back with my friends and feeling a certain comfort zone there, but the doctrine! By then, I knew way too much. Had to leave again (and have not even thought of going back, since that time). After that, I found the Christian Reformed Church, that I still attend. Had a whole set of new problems with Calvinism, which took me out for a few months. What brought me back was my husband. He had been attending with me the last few months, before I left, and he really loved this church. When he had to have back surgery (which was quite an ordeal), he requested a visit from the Pastor of this church. He, then, asked me to go back with him, and so we did, as soon as he got better...and have been there ever since. That was about a year and half ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Perhaps, it was "lured", but you have to understand, at the time, I felt led by God, through a whole series of events that happened fairly close together. These things just fell into my lap, once I started praying to God, again. I had a very difficult time with that, once I realized Mormonism was not true....like God had lied to me. I know that's not possible, but it was confusing to me, at first. I think this happens to a lot of LDS and one of the main reasons they drop out of religion altogether. So sad.

Once I started really reading/studying the Bible, I began to realize the problem was mine.
    Actually, unlike posters at CARM, I'm not opposed to Roman Catholicism, just some aspects of it. That wasn't a really bad choice for you to take the catechism cl***es. You'd probably fit in there better than the Christian Reformed church, which is Calvinist. Catholicism is Arminian. And I've noticed that fewer Roman Catholics get sucked into cultic systems of any type. Being Anglican, I guess I strongly prefer sacramental churches. I especially like the fact that they teach creedal theology (which is lacking in so many Christian churches). I still attend an Anglican Church (Anglican Episcopal) so that I can receive "real" communion and stay in touch with the ancient church (my husband prefers Calvary Chapel where we attend three out of four Sundays). But I can sympathize with you, actually, as to not "fitting in" to a mega church, or other denominational varieties. Actually, I haven't either. I don't like mega churches (too impersonal), and other than Calvary Chapels (which is sort of semi-Arminian), I've never really liked "mega church" worship style. Calvary Chapels, on the other hand, are like an intense Bible study (and you'd probably like that I bet).
    Last edited by Apologette; 05-30-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Libby

My husband was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools and the whole nine yards. He disliked that church so much, mainly because of some cruelty he experienced by nuns, in the Catholic schools he attended. So, I doubt I could ever get him near a Catholic Church, again...except that two of our children married Catholics and have baptized our grandchildren into the church. He had to go to that.

I enjoy the rituals of the Catholic Church...and we do get some of that, even in the Christian Reformed Church, which is more traditional than others I have attended.

I went to Calvary Chapel for a short time, as well.

My husband was raised Catholic, went to Catholics schools and the whole nine yards. He disliked that church so much, mainly because of some cruelty he experienced by nuns, in the Catholic schools he attended. So, I doubt I could ever get him near a Catholic Church, again...except that two of our children married Catholics and have baptized our grandchildren into the church. He had to go to that.

I enjoy the rituals of the Catholic Church...and we do get some of that, even in the Christian Reformed Church, which is more traditional than others I have attended.

I went to Calvary Chapel for a short time, as well.
    My husband was also raised Catholic - he didn't go to the schools however. The Church has changed over the years - less "mean" if you know what I mean. My daughter and I visited St. Louis Basiilica in St. Louis and loved the worship there - not to mention the great beauty (which is missing in much of Protestantism). My husband prefers Calvary Chapels because of the teaching - but he also attends the Anglican m*** with me one time a month for "real communion."
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Libby

That's very interesting. I had noticed your preference for Anglican Churches. What do you mean by "real communion"?

The CRC uses leavened bread (plain white bread) in their communion. When I first had communion there, I thought about the criticisms that LDS receive, about using leavened bread.

That's very interesting. I had noticed your preference for Anglican Churches. What do you mean by "real communion"?

The CRC uses leavened bread (plain white bread) in their communion. When I first had communion there, I thought about the criticisms that LDS receive, about using leavened bread.
    To be Scriptural, the bread should be unleavened, as used at the Jewish P***over, and they should use wine. These two items are mandatory for a kosher P***over. I once discussed this with a Jewish friend. Anglicans and Catholics call the bread a "host," and it is uleavened. By "real communion" I mean celebrated with the belief in the "real presence" of Christ in the Eucharist, and that grace is present ex opere operato. On CARM, I think Bonnie and I are the only posters holding to this view. I also believe that we should follow the practice of the first century church which celebrated the Eucharist at the very least, weekly.

I don't know why Protestants use leavened bread if they are so particular in other things. Eastern Orthodox do as well, which is one problem I have with the E.O. At CC they use matzoh, which is good.
    Last edited by Apologette; 05-30-2014 at 02:07 PM.

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    To be Scriptural, the bread should be unleavened, as used at the Jewish P***over, and they should use wine. These two items are mandatory for a kosher P***over. I once discussed this with a Jewish friend. Anglicans and Catholics call the bread a "host," and it is uleavened. By "real communion" I mean celebrated with the belief in the "real presence" of Christ in the Eucharist, and that grace is present ex opere operato. On CARM, I think Bonnie and I are the only posters holding to this view. I also believe that we should follow the practice of the first century church which celebrated the Eucharist at the very least, weekly.

I don't know why Protestants use leavened bread if they are so particular in other things. Eastern Orthodox do as well, which is one problem I have with the E.O. At CC they use matzoh, which is good.
    It doesn't make a hill of beams difference. You can use soda crackers and kool-aid.

Libby

Then that would make us "real" koolaid drinkers!

Apologette, I thought it was kind of odd, too. Other Christian Churches I've attended use matzoh or unsalted crackers. All have used grape juice, as well (not wine).

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    It doesn't make a hill of beams difference. You can use soda crackers and kool-aid.
    Sorry, Fake, but Jesus said "as often as you do THIS!" He didn't use crackers and kool-aid.

Then that would make us "real" koolaid drinkers!

Apologette, I thought it was kind of odd, too. Other Christian Churches I've attended use matzoh or unsalted crackers. All have used grape juice, as well (not wine).
    Catholics, Anglicans and EOs use wine, as did Jesus. I have yet to see somebody with a drinking problem run straight from the communion rail to a bar! It's silly to be more "holy" than was the Lord.

cheachea

LOLS That is Hilarious.

alanmolstad

Sorry, Fake, but Jesus said "as often as you do THIS!" He didn't use crackers and kool-aid.
    well...the bread was a cracker.....

RealFakeHair

Correct, He said do this not eat this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Libby

I think the "DO THIS" was referring to the taking of the bread and wine.

Oh wait...I see what you mean, RFH. "Do this" in remembrance of Me, doesn't really indicate that it has to be a specific kind of bread and "wine". I guess, it just seems more authentic, if we use the same items that Jesus used. I like that, actually. Other than the Catholic Church, I have never been to a church that uses real wine.
    Last edited by Libby; 05-30-2014 at 05:50 PM.

RealFakeHair

Oh wait...I see what you mean, RFH. "Do this" in remembrance of Me, doesn't really indicate that it has to be a specific kind of bread and "wine". I guess, it just seems more authentic, if we use the same items that Jesus used. I like that, actually. Other than the Catholic Church, I have never been to a church that uses real wine.
    To be more authentic, well there were no women there so?

alanmolstad

Ok Libby, and ...um....others.

i have a story to tell about the p***over.

alanmolstad

I am a normal christian kid....thought I understood the "last Supper " story well enough.....

I was wrong.

a few weeks ago i was invited by a Jewish friend in my sword cl*** to attend the p***over.....(Sader)

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I am a normal christian kid....thought I understood the "last Supper " story well enough.....

I was wrong.

a few weeks ago i was invited by a Jewish friend in my sword cl*** to attend the p***over.....(Sader)
    That's awesome! I was privileged to attend a Sader many years ago. It was very interesting.

alanmolstad

there is a part of the meal when they take some of the cracker, ( the bread) and break it in half, and take one half and wrap it, and then take it into the other room and hide it.....later the lost half is found and returned to be shared by all.

This I think is the bread that Jesus used when he said "This is my body..."

It fits....the bread is broken....and then it's wrapped,,,and hidden, (buried)...but then returns....

alanmolstad

and the wine........I did not expect there is so much wine drank.....and the cups.....and how one of the cups was the one Jesus used to say, "This is my blood"

and the reason Jesus could not drink the 4th cup of wine......

Anglicans and Eastern Orthodox use real wine, as was used at P***over and is commanded in the Bible.

That's awesome! I was privileged to attend a Sader many years ago. It was very interesting.
    Yes, a Seder is very similar to what Jesus did with the Apostles on the night before His death. You'll note they use sacramental wine!

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    there is a part of the meal when they take some of the cracker, ( the bread) and break it in half, and take one half and wrap it, and then take it into the other room and hide it.....later the lost half is found and returned to be shared by all.

This I think is the bread that Jesus used when he said "This is my body..."

It fits....the bread is broken....and then it's wrapped,,,and hidden, (buried)...but then returns....
    And the matzoh was baked in an oven using spikes; when you take the matzoh off of those spikes, you'll note a cross on the matzoh. I saw this at a Jews for Jesus presentation. If you want to understand Christianity within its original context, hang out with converted Jews!

Libby

Yes, a Seder is very similar to what Jesus did with the Apostles on the night before His death. You'll note they use sacramental wine!
    Seder, yes! We misspelled it.

Had to look up sacramental wine.

What is Sacramental Wine? by Fr. Thomas McKey, SJ. (1938)
    As regards the Roman Catholic Church, Sacramental wine, or more correctly, Altar Wine, is simply the unadulterated juice of the fully ripened and matured grape, fermented until all the natural sugar, generally 22-24% Balling, has been changed to alcohol, known as a dry wine; i.e. a wine with only a small quan***y of reducing sugars remaining, imparting a tart or dry taste.

This wine is then carefully handled and aged over a period of years, no chemicals being added to it to help or quicken aging…

Seder, yes! We misspelled it.

Had to look up sacramental wine.

What is Sacramental Wine? by Fr. Thomas McKey, SJ. (1938)
    As regards the Roman Catholic Church, Sacramental wine, or more correctly, Altar Wine, is simply the unadulterated juice of the fully ripened and matured grape, fermented until all the natural sugar, generally 22-24% Balling, has been changed to alcohol, known as a dry wine; i.e. a wine with only a small quan***y of reducing sugars remaining, imparting a tart or dry taste.

This wine is then carefully handled and aged over a period of years, no chemicals being added to it to help or quicken aging…
    Sacramental wine for a Jewish Seder is Kosher wine.