Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandra Tanner Interview: "I came to Jesus through the Bible...and the Book of Mormon"

alanmolstad

we had our choice of strong wine....or grape juice....Both were on the table.

alanmolstad

So I went right away for the strong wine.....and I filled up my cup for the first cut that we enjoyed.
    I was warned that "it's a long night"....but I decided that a tall cup of wine would start the meal off correct for me.

I was mistaken.

The fact is, i was not ready for how strong this wine was, and on top of that the meal goes on a long time before you actually get to really eat the "Big Food" that the moms had in the kitchen.

At the start of the evening, all you eat is some weird stuff, and things dipped in salt water....

I was a bit too hungry and so the wine really kicked my tail.....

So.....in other words....I got kinda sleepy....

Libby

Yes, I remember there was a lot of ritual, story telling and prayer before the "main meal". Poor Alan! lol

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Sacramental wine for a Jewish Seder is Kosher wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_wine

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    So I went right away for the strong wine.....and I filled up my cup for the first cut that we enjoyed.
    I was warned that "it's a long night"....but I decided that a tall cup of wine would start the meal off correct for me.

I was mistaken.

The fact is, i was not ready for how strong this wine was, and on top of that the meal goes on a long time before you actually get to really eat the "Big Food" that the moms had in the kitchen.

At the start of the evening, all you eat is some weird stuff, and things dipped in salt water....

I was a bit too hungry and so the wine really kicked my tail.....

So.....in other words....I got kinda sleepy....
    Which is why the Bible warns against wine bibbers!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

alanmolstad

I was innocent.....I had no idea that Jews drank that much and that strong of wine.....

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    we had our choice of strong wine....or grape juice....Both were on the table.
    wine is also grape juice, just a little more juiced! lol

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    wine is also grape juice, just a little more juiced! lol
    Grape juice is not wine. Wine is fermented, grape juice is not. The Jews use fermented kosher wine.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

alanmolstad

I only know what was on the table.
    There was strong wine , and non-strong wine...

I was also ***ured that all things on the table were Kosher and had been ordered from some place that apparently Jews use to obtain such things for P***over meals.
    Im told that the chicken came with still feathers on the skin..no idea why?

alanmolstad

the main meal was chicken.....

We washed our hands a few times...I remember once after we washed we were told to not speak ....

Also attending that night were the young Jewish club members from the local university ...and so it was great to hear everyone singing it what I guess was Hebrew?
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 06-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.

alanmolstad

I remember at one time, we dipped a finger in our cup of wine and dropped drops of wine onto the plate for each of the things Moses was doing to Egypt .

I think after the 3rd gl*** of wine I did switch to the non-strong wine...as by then my head was spinning...LOL

In total there were 4 cups of wine that were "official" and part of the service...but after that was over we did each have a bit more wine with the meal....

It was interesting, they do not eat lamb at P***over anymore, however they always have to have a lamb bone on this one plate....

Libby

That is interesting, Alan. A lot of symbolism in the Seder meal, I do remember that. I remember bitter herbs and some other things that were not actually eaten, but just there as a symbolic part of their story in Egypt.

alanmolstad

we ate them.....as far as I remember, we put the bitter stuff and something else between the crackers.

This came with a story how this actually is the first recorded use of what is a "sandwich"...

alanmolstad

However, now that I think about it.......

at our meal there were little plates with different things on them at each chair for each of us....Im not sure how many things, perhaps 4?

However this was not a sader plate.....I asked and it was known by another name.

There was a real sader plate, but it was on the other main table and was held up forall of us to see at times, while a story was told about it and the history of Moses.
    I think remember that plate had markings to hold stuff in areas of it.and it was NOT eaten from........

That was a larger plate and it had the lamb bone on it....

i also remember that at one point it was said that the wife of the house had to have cleaned the whole house before the meal, and that the husband needed to confirm this, and even had to find the last crumbs (left always in the same spot by the wife)

I remember that as a non-Jew I could not pour the wine ...but I was allowed to drink it.

I also remember that a type of common wine i had thought was good for p***over was actually not....and so the correct wine had to be ordered before our meal...and it had a marking on it to show where it was from.

alanmolstad

One thing I still do not understand about P***over.

At one point I heard people talking about what i think was a 2nd P***over meal?

Im not sure if this was the night before our meal?...or the night after?

Libby

All very interesting, Alan.

I wanted to mention (since this is the Sandra Tanner thread) that Part 4 of her interview is out on podcast. Still don't see it on video. This last one was sooooo interesting! She talks about her husband, Jerald, towards the end, and a very interesting and moving experience she had, after his death. By far, this was the best part of the interview.

Libby

Here is Part 4. Very much worth a listen.

http://mormonstories.org/sandra-tann...ralds-p***ing/

In part 4 of a 4 part series, Sandra Tanner discusses her views on being called an “anti-Mormon,” her Christian beliefs, her views on the recent candor/openness and future of the LDS church, the p***ing of her husband (Jerald — Alzheimer’s), and shares her final testimony.

GolfingMormon

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    It aint the fact the Book of Mormon is a work of fiction, it is how it is used to lure innocents to their eternal ****ation.
    **** Joseph Smith jr. To Hell for that!
    Really! I mean really?? my gosh such harsh judgement, yet I suppose you have read the message or do you just read what the anti sites spew out there ....

Billyray

Quote Originally Posted by GolfingMormon View Post
    Really! I mean really?? my gosh such harsh judgement, yet I suppose you have read the message or do you just read what the anti sites spew out there ....
    I have read the Book of Mormon. Multiple times.

GolfingMormon

Quote Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
    I have read the Book of Mormon. Multiple times.
    I commend you!

Libby

I've read it many times, as well. Billy and I are both ex-mormons.

The last time I tried to read it straight through was in 2011. I got to 2 Nephi 3:6-7, where the book predicts the coming of Joseph Smith and the restoration. After recently realizing that Joseph had written himself into the JST Bible, as well as the Book of Mormon, I just felt it was not worth continuing the read. My last holdout was the Book of Mormon, but I was focusing on the things I liked and pretty much ignoring things that didn't seem right. (KJV language, Isaiah p***ages written in KJV, Joseph prophesing of his own coming, animals and elements that were not there in that time frame, Patriotic themes that are very apparent, no evidence for any of these peoples or places)...too much for me to further put off any doubt about this book..
    Last edited by Libby; 06-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.

GolfingMormon

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I've read it many times, as well. Billy and I are both ex-mormons.
    I commend both of you! at least you gave it the old college try...

Libby

I gave it a lot more than that.

GolfingMormon

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I gave it a lot more than that.
    Than you must have majored in it, what else is there?

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by GolfingMormon View Post
    Than you must have majored in it, what else is there?
    I just meant, I gave it a lot more than just a "read". I read it often, studied it, believed it to be true, lived my life around it for along time.

Saying that someone gave it the "old college try", just didn't seem adequate.