Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Baptists More Easily Seduced by Mormonism?

Default Are Baptists More Easily Seduced by Mormonism?

According to the stats on this webstie they are:

http://www.bradmelton.org/***ets/Ten...rmon_notes.pdf

I attended a Baptist Church for 15 years (we lived in a remote area at the time, and that was the only church suitable). We recited the Apostles' Creed once in all those years as I recall (it was at the back of the hymnal). We knew how to get saved up and down and sideways. Altar calls given when everybody was supposedly saved. Doctrine kept at a real minimum. Never a sermon on the Trinity that I can recall. Very few warnings about cults - plenty about "seeker friendly churches."

When I was young I came into contact with the Mormons and wrote to the headquarters in SLC for more information. They sent me some literature, including the pamphlet called "What the Mormons Think of Christ." In it it stated that Jesus Christ had "attained" godhood in premortal existence. Now, I was a member of the Episcopal Church, and we recited the Nicene Creed weekly. I instantly knew that the Mormons weren't Christians because they had "another Jesus." He was not "Very God of Very God." I knew to stay away from Mormonism.

So, I wonder how the dearth of doctrinal teaching in many Baptist Churches who pride themselves on their "independence" has worked out for them? You can be so "independent" that you cut yourself off from the historic roots of Christianity and set your people up for those peddling the false doctrines of Joe Smith!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

cheachea

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    According to the stats on this webstie they are:

http://www.bradmelton.org/***ets/Ten...rmon_notes.pdf

I attended a Baptist Church for 15 years (we lived in a remote area at the time, and that was the only church suitable). We recited the Apostles' Creed once in all those years as I recall (it was at the back of the hymnal). We knew how to get saved up and down and sideways. Altar calls given when everybody was supposedly saved. Doctrine kept at a real minimum. Never a sermon on the Trinity that I can recall. Very few warnings about cults - plenty about "seeker friendly churches."

When I was young I came into contact with the Mormons and wrote to the headquarters in SLC for more information. They sent me some literature, including the pamphlet called "What the Mormons Think of Christ." In it it stated that Jesus Christ had "attained" godhood in premortal existence. Now, I was a member of the Episcopal Church, and we recited the Nicene Creed weekly. I instantly knew that the Mormons weren't Christians because they had "another Jesus." He was not "Very God of Very God." I knew to stay away from Mormonism.

So, I wonder how the dearth of doctrinal teaching in many Baptist Churches who pride themselves on their "independence" has worked out for them? You can be so "independent" that you cut yourself off from the historic roots of Christianity and set your people up for those peddling the false doctrines of Joe Smith!

This reminds me of my story. I Grew up in a small town that was 75% Mormon, 20% Roman Catholic, 5% First Baptist/Southern Baptist/Methodist.

I grew up in the First Baptist Church. I knew how to be saved and basic Christian Truths, but it seems like we never really got into Church History, Church Doctrines, Theology Etc. I do remember talking about the Trinity and the Divinity of The Lord Jesus Christ a few times. Honestly, I kind of feel cheated a little bit when I think about how unprepared I was for Spiritual battles and the trials of a being a Christian brings.

Learning about the Eastern Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox Churches has really helped me in my Christian Walk. I had never even heard of Orthodoxy growing up in the South West. I believe it is Vital that we study Christian History, Christian Doctrines, Christian Apologetics and Theology.

cheachea

Honestly, I would say Protestants in general that are not Biblically literate are easily seduced by both JW's and Mormons.

Quote Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
    This reminds me of my story. I Grew up in a small town that was 75% Mormon, 20% Roman Catholic, 5% First Baptist/Southern Baptist/Methodist.

I grew up in the First Baptist Church. I knew how to be saved and basic Christian Truths, but it seems like we never really got into Church History, Church Doctrines, Theology Etc. I do remember talking about the Trinity and the Divinity of The Lord Jesus Christ a few times. Honestly, I kind of feel cheated a little bit when I think about how unprepared I was for Spiritual battles and the trials of a being a Christian brings.

Learning about the Eastern Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox Churches has really helped me in my Christian Walk. I had never even heard of Orthodoxy growing up in the South West. I believe it is Vital that we study Christian History, Christian Doctrines, Christian Apologetics and Theology.
    Coptic and Orthodox Christians are far more tied into the historical church and are taught essential Christians doctrines such as the Trinity. So did the Episcopal Church (now called the gay church) by many - we had to learn to catechism before confirmation. While many Baptists and evangeicals churches are lax in teaching doctrine - one is certainly not, and that is Calvary Chapels. CCs accentuate doctrine and often have special presentations on the cults.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Honestly, I would say Protestants in general that are not Biblically literate are easily seduced by both JW's and Mormons.
    I'd say you are right.

cheachea

One thing that I will give credit to my Baptist upbringing is that Simple Child like Saving faith in The Lord Jesus Christ that really sticks with you especially if you are raised in it as a youngster and go to Christian Summer Camps, Retreats, and Vacation Bible School.

Going to Christian Summer Camp was honestly some of my funnest and fondest memories as a teenager. Seeing kids commit there lives to The Lord and the praise and worship was one of the most intense and beautiful experiences I've ever had in my Christian life.

One thing that I will give credit to my Baptist upbringing is that Simple Child like Saving faith in The Lord Jesus Christ that really sticks with you especially if you are raised in it as a youngster and go to Christian Summer Camps, Retreats, and Vacation Bible School.

Going to Christian Summer Camp was honestly some of my funnest and fondest memories as a teenager. Seeing kids commit there lives to The Lord and the praise and worship was one of the most intense and beautiful experiences I've ever had in my Christian life.
    Yes, something the Episcopal Church never had.

The Pheonix

Sad and insulting...may God forgive your arrogance.

cheachea

Quote Originally Posted by The Pheonix View Post
    Sad and insulting...may God forgive your arrogance.

How is my statement arrogant in any way ?

The Pheonix

How is my statement arrogant in any way ?
    If you don't know, there is even a bigger problem than you ego.

cheachea

If you don't know, there is even a bigger problem than you ego.

Can you please just tell me what was arrogant about my statement ? What is arrogant about me saying that if a Protestant doesn't know what the Bible actually says and is not literate in Bible Knowledge and Christian Doctrines that they are easily seduced by JW's and Mormons ? Seriously how is that arrogant ? It's a true statement.

The Pheonix

Can you please just tell me what was arrogant about my statement ? What is arrogant about me saying that if a Protestant doesn't know what the Bible actually says and is not literate in Bible Knowledge and Christian Doctrines that they are easily seduced by JW's and Mormons ? Seriously how is that arrogant ? It's a true statement.
    Your comment that Protestants are not Biblically literate and easily seduced...arrogant. As if you did not know...oh I left out condescending.

cheachea

Your comment that Protestants are not Biblically literate and easily seduced...arrogant. As if you did not know...oh I left out condescending.

NO No I siad IF Protestants are not Biblically Literate Then they are easily seduced by JW's and Mormons. I didn't say that they are biblically illiterate. Do you get what I was saying now ? That's why I was confused to why you thought I was being arrogant.

Libby

I was raised in a First Baptist Church, up until I was eleven, and then we moved to California and went to a Temple Baptist Church through most of my teens. I wasn't very involved, though. Mostly just Sundays. My parents made us go, but they did not attend very often, themselves. My dad was usually working on Sundays and my mother worked all week and I think was just too tired. But, she wanted to make sure we received a "Christian education" and upbringing.

I was baptized in the First Baptist Church at age eight. I had answered an altar call and I was very elated about it. So excited when the Pastor gave me a Bible of my very own. I still have it.

What I remember about the teachings of that Pastor was about how Jesus cleansed us of all sin. I remember it so well, because he always used magic tricks. He had a vile full of black water, which represented our sins. He, then, put a dropper of something in the vile that made the water clear and clean again. That represented the blood of Jesus cleansing our sins. He was really good with kids. He also taught us about the Trinity with inner stacking dolls (like nesting dolls)...three of them of different sizes all nesting together to make one. He was a good teacher and all the kids loved him.

I don't think it is always not knowing the Bible or mainstream Christian thought that makes us vulnerable. I didn't know a lot, but I knew the basics. Sometimes, it's just a rejection of mainstream's interpretation. I have had so many LDS converts tell me that so much of "basic" LDS theology just "made sense". It made sense that the Father also had a body. It made sense that salvation is extended to everyone and can even be extended after death. It made sense and many people LOVE the idea that families can be together forever. Even the levels of heaven and God's long suffering view towards us, reminds them of how a good father should be. Eternal progression....that there is more substance to heaven than just wearing a halo and wings and singing hymns, as heaven is so often portrayed. There is a lot in the LDS religion that is attractive to people, even for some of those who might have an "intellectual" understanding of mainstream theology.
    Last edited by Libby; 05-28-2014 at 11:48 PM.

alanmolstad

Can you please just tell me what was arrogant about my statement ? ......
    There was nothing arrogant, nor even slightly wrong about your statement, that many in the Christian church simply have not opened their Bible enough to know what it says within.

The CULTS feed on the over-supply of Scripture ignorance found in the Christian church memberships.

Oh and this problem cuts across all denominations.

It has a lot to do not so much with the different church leaderships, or the guys up front , but rather the problem stems from a lack of concerned parents teaching children.
    It comes from a national trend, if not a world-wide trend for parents to simply not be all that interested anymore in teaching about the Bible to their kids.

You can see this when you look at the number of Bibles given as gifts to kids.
    Used to be the common gift,,,,,,now?....its rare.

Libby

Yes...my two oldest grandchildren were baptized into a Christian Church and neither of them received a Bible. I went out and bought them both a nice Bible.

The Pheonix

NO No I siad IF Protestants are not Biblically Literate Then they are easily seduced by JW's and Mormons. I didn't say that they are biblically illiterate. Do you get what I was saying now ? That's why I was confused to why you thought I was being arrogant.
    OK why do you have to qualify it...I started at age 11 taking Bible lessons by mail and preached in the Baptist Church...growing up with a Baptist Minister father. Why ***ume that the ones who convert to Mormonism are uneducated about the Bible?

The Pheonix

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Yes...my two oldest grandchildren were baptized into a Christian Church and neither of them received a Bible. I went out and bought them both a nice Bible.
    When I was "saved", I got one on December 21, 1972.

Libby

When I was "saved", I got one on December 21, 1972.
    In the First Baptist Church, you mean?

Everyone should have a Bible.

When I was young, there was only the KJV (for Protestants). I love all of the new editions, now available. I prefer the NIV, but I also have an ESV Reformation Study Bible. I don't really care for it, because it has no maps! I couldn't believe it.

The Pheonix

In the First Baptist Church, you mean?

Everyone should have a Bible.

When I was young, there was only the KJV (for Protestants). I love all of the new editions, now available. I prefer the NIV, but I also have an ESV Reformation Study Bible. I don't really care for it, because it has no maps! I couldn't believe it.
    Yes...in Baptist Church.

I was raised in a First Baptist Church, up until I was eleven, and then we moved to California and went to a Temple Baptist Church through most of my teens. I wasn't very involved, though. Mostly just Sundays. My parents made us go, but they did not attend very often, themselves. My dad was usually working on Sundays and my mother worked all week and I think was just too tired. But, she wanted to make sure we received a "Christian education" and upbringing.

I was baptized in the First Baptist Church at age eight. I had answered an altar call and I was very elated about it. So excited when the Pastor gave me a Bible of my very own. I still have it.

What I remember about the teachings of that Pastor was about how Jesus cleansed us of all sin. I remember it so well, because he always used magic tricks. He had a vile full of black water, which represented our sins. He, then, put a dropper of something in the vile that made the water clear and clean again. That represented the blood of Jesus cleansing our sins. He was really good with kids. He also taught us about the Trinity with inner stacking dolls (like nesting dolls)...three of them of different sizes all nesting together to make one. He was a good teacher and all the kids loved him.

I don't think it is always not knowing the Bible or mainstream Christian thought that makes us vulnerable. I didn't know a lot, but I knew the basics. Sometimes, it's just a rejection of mainstream's interpretation. I have had so many LDS converts tell me that so much of "basic" LDS theology just "made sense". It made sense that the Father also had a body. It made sense that salvation is extended to everyone and can even be extended after death. It made sense and many people LOVE the idea that families can be together forever. Even the levels of heaven and God's long suffering view towards us, reminds them of how a good father should be. Eternal progression....that there is more substance to heaven than just wearing a halo and wings and singing hymns, as heaven is so often portrayed. There is a lot in the LDS religion that is attractive to people, even for some of those who might have an "intellectual" understanding of mainstream theology.
    So, while you were in this Baptist Church did you ever learn standard Christian doctrine? The Trinity? The Deity of Christ? stuff like that?

You are right - and sadly, we can see the results all around us. Faithful Catholics and E.O.s, are really far more knowledgeable about traditional orthodox doctrine than Protestants who sometimes pride themselves on not saying creeds! Well, we can see the result! At least young Catholic kids learn the catechism (as do Anglicans), and can pretty much detect there is something wrong with a teaching that denies Christ is God.

I think you've hit on one of the central problems with Protestantism........in many cases, it has cut itself off from its roots and proudly proclaims its "independence." But in so doing, they have lost their footing. I remember growing up in the Episcopal Church I always felt I had roots that reached back to the first century Church. That is something that just doesn't seem to happen in many Protestant groups. It's as if Christianity just sprang up in the 19th century - and that's one reason somebody as evil as Joseph Smith was able to seduce so many. I don't think a lot of Romans or Anglicans or Orthodox were seduced by Smith's claims; most of the early Mormons were Campbellites, or Baptists or Methodists, as far as I can tell. Smith, himself, wanted to join the Methodist Church but refused to repent of his occultic ties.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    So, while you were in this Baptist Church did you ever learn standard Christian doctrine? The Trinity? The Deity of Christ? stuff like that?
    The basics, yes.

At age 17 I left the Baptist Church and started attending our local Catholic Church. I had a lot of Catholic friends. I took catechism cl***es and was baptized into the church. My "seeking" started very young.

cheachea

OK why do you have to qualify it...I started at age 11 taking Bible lessons by mail and preached in the Baptist Church...growing up with a Baptist Minister father. Why ***ume that the ones who convert to Mormonism are uneducated about the Bible?

Because they would know that the Mormon Concept of WHO The Lord Jesus Christ is and Who He is in Historical Christianity are different. Also Mormon Doctrines are completely different from Historical Christianity's doctrines.

Mormons are nice people, but The Theology is completely different from Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant Christianity.