Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Baptists More Easily Seduced by Mormonism?

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    The basics, yes.

At age 17 I left the Baptist Church and started attending our local Catholic Church. I had a lot of Catholic friends. I took catechism cl***es and was baptized into the church. My "seeking" started very young.
    Okay, so I just saw this post. Catholic catechism cl***es can be daunting, but they generally cover all the essentials of the traditional body of faith. Boy, Libby, nobody can say that you haven't been searching!
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Quote Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
    Because they would know that the Mormon Concept of WHO The Lord Jesus Christ is and Who He is in Historical Christianity are different. Also Mormon Doctrines are completely different from Historical Christianity's doctrines.

Mormons are nice people, but The Theology is completely different from Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant Christianity.
    Exactly. The easiest way to determine if a group is or is not cultic is to see what they do with Jesus. Is He fully God and fully Man? Is He the Second Person of the Trinity? These are basic doctrines that the Mormons fail to teach.
    Oath formerly taken by Mormons promising not to reveal secret Mormon temple rituals: "Should we do so, we agree to have our breasts cut open and our hearts and vitals torn from our bodies and given to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field."

Libby

LDS do teach that Jesus is fully God and fully man, but they teach that he is a separate God and One only in "purpose" (not in essence) with the Father and the Holy Ghost.

LDS do teach that Jesus is fully God and fully man, but they teach that he is a separate God and One only in "purpose" (not in essence) with the Father and the Holy Ghost.
    Actually, Libby, Mormons totally reject the hypostatic union. They teach that Jesus was born as an ordinary spirit baby, "attained godhood" in some way prior to mortal existence, and then was born as a human on planet earth. He is not fully God and fully man in on Person as Christians teach. Here is a little study:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypostatic_union

As you know, Mormons teach that Jesus is a "god" separate from the Father; Christians believe there is only One God, Who is a Triune center of Being. The Word of God took the additional nature of flesh, and became God and Man in the Person of Christ. Mormons reject this.

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Apologette View Post
    Actually, Libby, Mormons totally reject the hypostatic union. They teach that Jesus was born as an ordinary spirit baby, "attained godhood" in some way prior to mortal existence, and then was born as a human on planet earth. He is not fully God and fully man in on Person as Christians teach. Here is a little study:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypostatic_union

As you know, Mormons teach that Jesus is a "god" separate from the Father; Christians believe there is only One God, Who is a Triune center of Being. The Word of God took the additional nature of flesh, and became God and Man in the Person of Christ. Mormons reject this.
    Yes, they don't call it the Hypostatic Union, but they do recognize that Jesus was both God (a god) and human, at the same time. Of course, they believe all "gods" are "human", as well as divine.

And, no, they do not believe in a Truine God.

Yes, they don't call it the Hypostatic Union, but they do recognize that Jesus was both God (a god) and human, at the same time. Of course, they believe all "gods" are "human", as well as divine.

And, no, they do not believe in a Truine God.
    No, they do not teach that Jesus was BOTH God and Man while on earth. On earth he was simply a man - and that is why they deny the hypostatic union. I have been round and round with Mormons on this issue. Jesus birth on earth was the same as any other birth of a spirit on earth. Ask them. If you think they believe in the dual nature of Christ while on earth present a reference.

If Christ was not BOTH God and Man while one earth, His Atonement on the Cross was not Infinite, and we are lost in our sins.

Here is a good teaching on the subject: http://www.bibleteacher.org/Dm026_3.htm

Mormons are essentially Arians - believing Jesus is a "created" being as are all of "heavenly father's" spirit children. This is a complete rejection of the Eternal Deity of Christ, and the central reason Christians must reject Mormonism along with other Arian cults as non-Christian. Jesus said, "unless you believe that I AM" you shall die in your sins.........and that is the result of rejecting the Eternal Deity of Christ. Futhermore, since Mormons evily teach that both gods and men are the "same species," there is no question that they reject the unique Full Deity of Christ - that He was God from eternity past, and that God's Nature is not the nature of men.
    Last edited by Apologette; 05-31-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Libby

I realize they do not see Jesus as most Christians, but they do still hold the believe that he was both man and "a god".

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...t-jesus-christ

"From His mother, Mary, Jesus inherited mortality, the capacity to feel the frustrations and ills of this world, including the capacity to die. We believe that Jesus was fully human in that He was subject to sickness, to pain and to temptation."

"We believe Jesus is the Son of God the Father and as such inherited powers of godhood and divinity from His Father, including immortality, the capacity to live forever. While He walked the dusty road of Palestine as a man, He possessed the powers of a God and ministered as one having authority, including power over the elements and even power over life and death."

I realize they do not see Jesus as most Christians, but they do still hold the believe that he was both man and "a god".

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...t-jesus-christ

"From His mother, Mary, Jesus inherited mortality, the capacity to feel the frustrations and ills of this world, including the capacity to die. We believe that Jesus was fully human in that He was subject to sickness, to pain and to temptation."

"We believe Jesus is the Son of God the Father and as such inherited powers of godhood and divinity from His Father, including immortality, the capacity to live forever. While He walked the dusty road of Palestine as a man, He possessed the powers of a God and ministered as one having authority, including power over the elements and even power over life and death."
    Thanks for that post. Good ***.

Gary_Biblelover

Quote Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
    Honestly, I would say Protestants in general that are not Biblically literate are easily seduced by both JW's and Mormons.
    I couldn't agree more. Biblical ignorance is the main reason protestants become LDS. acck btw hi I am Gary I am new but jumped right in hope you don't mind

Libby

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Thanks for that post. Good ***.
    You're welcome.

Libby

Hi Gary. Welcome! We could certainly use more people over here!

I think I have seen you posting over on CARM?

Yes he has been posting on CARM and is a welcomed addition.

Gary_Biblelover

HI Libby yes I have been on CARM. Glad to be here. Thanks

Gary_Biblelover

You're welcome.
    totally agree with Phoenix nice post!!

Libby

Thanks.

Of course, what LDS mean, when they say Jesus Christ is also "god" is not the same as what Christians mean, when they say that (as we all know). That's part of the problem of discussing Mormonism vs mainstream Christianity. We all use the same words, but have different definitions for many of them.