Thread: Why should ANYONE believe Joseph Smith?

Default Why should ANYONE believe Joseph Smith?

After all, NOBODY but the mormons believe Joseph Smith was a prophet from God.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe Joseph Smith was a good, moral person.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe Joseph was anything LESS than a common criminal who tried to shoot his way out of jail.

NOBODY but the mormons believe that the Book of Mormon is true.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe that smith's other writings are true.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe that smith's 'Reformed Egyptian' language ever existed.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe that professor Anton was 'witness' to anything smith claimed.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe that the PGP 'Book of Abraham' is NOT a fraud
    NOBODY but the mormons believe ANY of smith's junk.

So why SHOULD anyone believe his junk?

John T

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    NOBODY but the mormons believe Joseph was anything LESS than a common criminal who tried to shoot his way out of jail.

NOBODY but the mormons believe that smith's 'Reformed Egyptian' language ever existed.
    NOBODY but the mormons believe that professor Anton was 'witness' to anything smith claimed.

"Because I have my personal, subjective "testimony" and my "Maalox moment" to prove it" is their answer.

RealFakeHair

i have found over the years there are many LDSinc. members who have stop believing in the imaginary mind of Joseph Smith jr. However for various reasons they stay in the Church. #1 reason, family, #2 cultural, #3 business, #4 lazy, but here is a kicker, many stay in the church because they won't admit they made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RealFakeHair View Post
    i have found over the years there are many LDSinc. members who have stop believing in the imaginary mind of Joseph Smith jr. However for various reasons they stay in the Church. #1 reason, family, #2 cultural, #3 business, #4 lazy, but here is a kicker, many stay in the church because they won't admit they made a mistake.

Excellent observations. I have found the same things.

No mormons willing to respond?

The Doctor

No mormons willing to respond?
    Morefish,

The couple of Mormons left here probably don't care enough to engage with the Anti-Mormons that are here, especially since they are just the CARM Anti-Mormons that come here as soon as it is pointed out that the WM forums are dead. Besides, even your friend Catherine Aurelia used to post here in hopes of keeping it alive, but she has since told others that she quit posting here because the only Christians here are "Wishy Washy". When Catherine Aurelia/Apologette gives up on an Anti-Mormon forum, you KNOW it has problems! Maybe you CARM guys will convince her to come back here. But it's really more like the alanmolstad Anti-LDS blog than anything else.

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Morefish,

The couple of Mormons left here probably don't care enough to engage with the Anti-Mormons that are here, especially since they are just the CARM Anti-Mormons that come here as soon as it is pointed out that the WM forums are dead. Besides, even your friend Catherine Aurelia used to post here in hopes of keeping it alive, but she has since told others that she quit posting here because the only Christians here are "Wishy Washy". When Catherine Aurelia/Apologette gives up on an Anti-Mormon forum, you KNOW it has problems! Maybe you CARM guys will convince her to come back here. But it's really more like the alanmolstad Anti-LDS blog than anything else.
    I think the first mistake is to call everyone an anit mormon, as for me I am anti the con-skirtchasing- lying SOB Joseph Smith jr. He is responsible for sending many a lost soul to a Devil's Hell.

The Doctor

I think the first mistake is to call everyone an anit mormon, as for me I am anti the con-skirtchasing- lying SOB Joseph Smith jr. He is responsible for sending many a lost soul to a Devil's Hell.
    No he isn't. According to Evangelical/ Calvinistic theology, any soul that goes to Hell is because that is what that soul deserved. God did not select those souls to save with His grace, and therefore they were created for ****ation anyway. Any soul that God wants to save will be saved. Just as the salvation of souls can only be attributed to God's sovereign will, the ****ation of souls cannot be attributed to a single person except the ****ed soul that God chose not to save.

alanmolstad

we should always use the registered forum names when possible.....it shows respect

alanmolstad

No he isn't. According to Evangelical/ Calvinistic theology, .
    Im not sure about the "Evangelical' position....but I am sure that one of the reasons I disagree strongly with Calvinistic theology is its screwed up way of thinking on this issue.

alanmolstad

I have always understood the word Evangelical to be a sign that the person is attempting to "Evangelize...or to "reach-out"......
    So in my way of thinking the true Evangelical position is that the cross is open to "all"

RealFakeHair

No he isn't. According to Evangelical/ Calvinistic theology, any soul that goes to Hell is because that is what that soul deserved. God did not select those souls to save with His grace, and therefore they were created for ****ation anyway. Any soul that God wants to save will be saved. Just as the salvation of souls can only be attributed to God's sovereign will, the ****ation of souls cannot be attributed to a single person except the ****ed soul that God chose not to save.
    Never question my superior propherications, I am of the up most authority on my opinions and facts, so please never doubt them again. PS it is for you own good.

The Doctor

Never question my superior propherications, I am of the up most authority on my opinions and facts, so please never doubt them again. PS it is for you own good.
    You're right. I was taking a risk by actually responding to you with points of theological beliefs, knowing that as I stated in the "dead" thread, you're here to make one-liners and are known for making inane quips. Thanks for the reminder not to bother with you.

RealFakeHair

You're right. I was taking a risk by actually responding to you with points of theological beliefs, knowing that as I stated in the "dead" thread, you're here to make one-liners and are known for making inane quips. Thanks for the reminder not to bother with you.
    You're welcome.

John T

You can never defend your religion by attacking Christianity

Your post demonstrates that you know nothing about the unmerited grace of Jesus, nor of the tenets of Reformed Theology.

Most importantly, you do not know that hell was created for disobedient angels, but humans volunteer to go there because they refuse to recognize that Jesus Christ dies for the sins of the world, and by their steadfast refusal to accept Jesus Christ as their own, personal Savior, and renounce everything that Joseph Smith says, they are volunteering for heaven.

Because I just wrote above how one can have eternal life with Jesus in His heaven, you are now without excuse for what happens at Judgment Day. You will stand before a just, righteous and holy God and have to give an account before Him as to why you hardened your heart, and obdurately turned away form the only One who said "I am the4 way, the Truth and the Life, No one comes unto the Father except by me." when you mocked or scoffed at this truth.

My conscience is clear on that issue. I will not have your blood on my hands when you are sent to the lake of fire. Surely I will not rejoice in your fate because I know that you are experiencing extreme torment that lasts forever. Meanwhile, I shall be face-to face with Jesus and enjoying His present. That also lasts forever!

The choice is yours, ALONE, and be sure that your choice has eternal consequences or eternal rewards. Joseph Smith cannot save you, nor did he die for your sins. Choose wisely, and live.

The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    You can never defend your religion by attacking Christianity
    I have no need to defend a religion. When attacks against an enemy are misguided/ misdirected/ and inaccurate, not much of a defense needs to be made.

Your post demonstrates that you know nothing about the unmerited grace of Jesus, nor of the tenets of Reformed Theology.
    Why would theology need to be reformed if it was always here and Jesus would never let any harm come to His church?

Oddly enough, you are about to tell me about how I am supposed to "merit" the grace of Jesus in 3...2...1...

Most importantly, you do not know that hell was created for disobedient angels, but humans volunteer to go there because they refuse to recognize that Jesus Christ dies for the sins of the world, and by their steadfast refusal to accept Jesus Christ as their own, personal Savior, and renounce everything that Joseph Smith says, they are volunteering for heaven.
    So by refusing to accept Jesus and refusing to renounce what Joseph Smith says, we are volunteering to Heaven? Interesting comment.

Because I just wrote above how one can have eternal life with Jesus in His heaven, you are now without excuse for what happens at Judgment Day. You will stand before a just, righteous and holy God and have to give an account before Him as to why you hardened your heart, and obdurately turned away form the only One who said "I am the4 way, the Truth and the Life, No one comes unto the Father except by me." when you mocked or scoffed at this truth.

My conscience is clear on that issue. I will not have your blood on my hands when you are sent to the lake of fire. Surely I will not rejoice in your fate because I know that you are experiencing extreme torment that lasts forever. Meanwhile, I shall be face-to face with Jesus and enjoying His present. That also lasts forever!
    You really think that because of what you wrote above that God will hold someone without excuse for not believing you? That is pretty narcissistic. But your attempt at claiming that Mormons are without Jesus Christ and do not lace their faith in Him is miserable. Mormons believe in Jesus and believe it is through Him that we find salvation. Because you cannot reconcile this with your proclivity of attacking Mormons and claiming they are Hellbound, your only resort is to try and rationalize away Mormon beliefs and to make false claims about their devotion to Jesus and to claim they have the "wrong Jesus". It's the only place an Anti-Mormon can go when backed into that corner.

The choice is yours, ALONE, and be sure that your choice has eternal consequences or eternal rewards. Joseph Smith cannot save you, nor did he die for your sins. Choose wisely, and live.
    Really? The choice to be saved and to accept Jesus is mine ALONE? God doesn't not have to draw me to Him? The Holy Spirit does not have to lead me to that decision? That's an odd statement since almost every other Anti-Mormon Evangelical has told us that, being dead in our sins we CANNOT choose God on our own. But your charge for Mormons to choose Jesus is misdirected anyhow, since they have already done so. Which leads you back to having to resort to cries of "But your Jesus is the wrong Jesus" and that unless Mormons believe the way YOU believe they are Hellbound.

RealFakeHair

I have no need to defend a religion. When attacks against an enemy are misguided/ misdirected/ and inaccurate, not much of a defense needs to be made.

Why would theology need to be reformed if it was always here and Jesus would never let any harm come to His church?

Oddly enough, you are about to tell me about how I am supposed to "merit" the grace of Jesus in 3...2...1...

So by refusing to accept Jesus and refusing to renounce what Joseph Smith says, we are volunteering to Heaven? Interesting comment.

You really think that because of what you wrote above that God will hold someone without excuse for not believing you? That is pretty narcissistic. But your attempt at claiming that Mormons are without Jesus Christ and do not lace their faith in Him is miserable. Mormons believe in Jesus and believe it is through Him that we find salvation. Because you cannot reconcile this with your proclivity of attacking Mormons and claiming they are Hellbound, your only resort is to try and rationalize away Mormon beliefs and to make false claims about their devotion to Jesus and to claim they have the "wrong Jesus". It's the only place an Anti-Mormon can go when backed into that corner.

Really? The choice to be saved and to accept Jesus is mine ALONE? God doesn't not have to draw me to Him? The Holy Spirit does not have to lead me to that decision? That's an odd statement since almost every other Anti-Mormon Evangelical has told us that, being dead in our sins we CANNOT choose God on our own. But your charge for Mormons to choose Jesus is misdirected anyhow, since they have already done so. Which leads you back to having to resort to cries of "But your Jesus is the wrong Jesus" and that unless Mormons believe the way YOU believe they are Hellbound.
    Sure is alot of typing from someone who has nothin to defend

John T

I do not consider you as my enemy, You may believe conversely, but that is your issue, not mine. It is my intention to treat your person with dignity and respect.

The capital letter makes it a proper noun. Therefore it is a ***le.

Not really, the grace of Jesus is ALWAYS free and unmerited. That is a primary difference between Christian theology and Mormon thought.

I did not say that originally, it is a paraphrase of what Jesus said.

John 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
    6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
    8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
    9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
    10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works
    Therefore your argument is with Jesus, not me.

STOP MAKING A PSYCHOLOGICAL DIAGNOSIS OVER THE INTERNET! You are not qualified to do so, and if you were qualified, you would know it is unethical, and grounds for referral to licensing jurisdictions.

Your mormon jesus christ is a parody of the Jesus Christ Who is found in the Bible ALONE. The jesus christ did not come from a virgin, but from a swinger and a *****. After the "father' raped Mary (actually pedophilia) he then turned her over to Joseph as a used woman so that Joseph could mary a *****, and then be with a swinger. that nonsense is more from the FLDS manual than from God's holy Bible.
    this is a laugh, : " it is through Him that we find salvation" because your BoM tells us in plain words that grace ONLY comes "after all that you can do"

The usage of ad homs and false logic are the marks of one who is backed into a corner: " It's the only place an Anti-Mormon can go when backed into that corner" Cease doing that, or else the moderators will deal with such things.

That Holy Spirit draws the child to accepting faith in Jesus Christ is true; and that God gives us free will to accept what Jesus Christ did at Calvary and the Atonement as sufficient is also true. But there is a gap miles wide from knowledge that Jesus came on Earth, and accepting Him as your ONLY savior, free from any encumbrances of merit.

You cannot get clearer than this:
    ***us 3: 3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
    4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
    5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
    6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
    7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life

The Doctor

Your mormon jesus christ is a parody of the Jesus Christ Who is found in the Bible ALONE. The jesus christ did not come from a virgin, but from a swinger and a *****. After the "father' raped Mary (actually pedophilia) he then turned her over to Joseph as a used woman so that Joseph could mary a *****, and then be with a swinger. that nonsense is more from the FLDS manual than from God's holy Bible.
    this is a laugh, : " it is through Him that we find salvation" because your BoM tells us in plain words that grace ONLY comes "after all that you can do"

The usage of ad homs and false logic are the marks of one who is backed into a corner: " It's the only place an Anti-Mormon can go when backed into that corner" Cease doing that, or else the moderators will deal with such things.
    Yes, you calling Mary a swinger and a ***** did in fact get you censored from your handlers at CARM. I remember reading that. But I see that you have decided to bring your salacious arguments here since any moderation is quite limited and/or dead except for the banning of people (since they have allowed this site to pretty much die), and you have begun the childish threats of tattling to the mommy moderator anytime your feeeeeelings get hurt. So I see no reason to continue with you.

By the way, I find it rather amusing that you consider my comment about an Anti-Mormon backed into a corner as an Ad Hominem attack worthy of threatening the wrath of a moderator, when just recently you wrote on CARM: "THIS IS A TYPICAL MORMON PLOY: IGNORE THE CONTEXT; THEN CREATE A FALSE DOCTRINE. It is dishonest."

So, making sweeping, generalized charges against Mormons is okay for you to do, but when a Mormon makes a generalized statement about Anti-Mormons you threaten to cry to mommy to deal with your hurt feeeeelings.

Got it.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 07-08-2014 at 12:44 AM.

alanmolstad

other then that....is there a point to this?....

We always need to show both respect to the owner of this site...AND....gra***ude at our ability to be part of it.

One of the things each guest should always keep in mind is that if at any time while in a discussion you believe that another guest has posted a comment that is against the rules, or is showing bad manners or is too personal, then simply REPORT the post.

Try to shy away from the temptation to strike back at the other person in-kind, spit-for-spit.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 07-08-2014 at 05:13 AM.

John T

Yes, you calling Mary a swinger and a ***** did in fact get you censored from your handlers at CARM. I remember reading that. But I see that you have decided to bring your salacious arguments here since any moderation is quite limited and/or dead except for the banning of people (since they have allowed this site to pretty much die), and you have begun the childish threats of tattling to the mommy moderator anytime your feeeeeelings get hurt. So I see no reason to continue with you.
    What is your handle pm CARM?

What happens on another website is irrelevant

"Tattling to mommy" is not what you say it is. The point is that you are being incredibly rude, and that is not in accordance to the rules of this house in which we are both guests. If you do not wish to obey the rules of civility and this site, your leave-taking is encouraged.

By the way, I find it rather amusing that you consider my comment about an Anti-Mormon backed into a corner as an Ad Hominem attack worthy of threatening the wrath of a moderator, when just recently you wrote on CARM: "THIS IS A TYPICAL MORMON PLOY: IGNORE THE CONTEXT; THEN CREATE A FALSE DOCTRINE. It is dishonest."
    Not really. I was addressing the PLOY you are using, and not your person.

So, making sweeping, generalized charges against Mormons is okay for you to do, but when a Mormon makes a generalized statement about Anti-Mormons you threaten to cry to mommy to deal with your hurt feeeeelings.

Got it.
    Not quite. I addressed a specific item in your post, and I did not attack you

You are cordially invited to address the SCRIPTURES that refuted the things you stated.

The Doctor

What is your handle pm CARM?
    It doesn't really matter.

What happens on another website is irrelevant
    Then why did you post anecdotes from CARM posters? And why did you quote and link actual posts to CARM by CARM posters?

"Tattling to mommy" is not what you say it is. The point is that you are being incredibly rude, and that is not in accordance to the rules of this house in which we are both guests. If you do not wish to obey the rules of civility and this site, your leave-taking is encouraged.
    Pointing out the behaviors of Anti-Mormons might seem rude to you. I'm not so sure I would consider anything I've said to be "incredibly rude", especially knowing the posting style of the Anti-LDS from here and at places like CARM.

Yet you calling Mary a swinger and a ***** might be considered rude. And even the biased Anti-LDS moderators felt it was rude and censored you. And knowing that, you doubled-down by doing the same here, which shows a lack of humility and repentance on your part.

Not really. I was addressing the PLOY you are using, and not your person.
    And I was discussing the ploy of Anti-Mormons, which you happen to be.

Not quite. I addressed a specific item in your post, and I did not attack you

You are cordially invited to address the SCRIPTURES that refuted the things you stated.
    I don't think your scriptures refuted the comment you made that "...a steadfast refusal to accept Jesus Christ as their own, personal Savior....they are volunteering for heaven."

RealFakeHair

Once again not everyone is anti-mormon. Some are just anti-Joseph Smith jr. the skirtchasing, lying con-man.

But of course joe smith is one of satan's 'guides' to help them get there. . .

Well, the first reason would be because they understand that appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy. The truth of something doesn't depend on how many people believe it.