Thread: Origins of unbelief

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MacG

Quote Originally Posted by God-free View Post
    Those things occurred to me already and it’s why I said there might not be a contradiction in your traffic story. I saw the point you were making without the need to delve into those details.
    Since you said there "might not be a contradiction" it sounded as if you weren't sure.

I agree with the verses that say a father shall not be killed for a crime committed by his son (and vice versa). My point is that there are many instances in the Bible where God and/or his followers DO kill or otherwise punish innocents for the “sins” of others. I see, not just specific verses, but the entire Bible as contradictory and not the product of any deity worthy of reverence.
    I am not aware of these innocents. God even put a mark on Cain so no one would kill him but then post flood, orders the destruction of the Cananites. But looking at the Arab Nations vow to push modern Israel into the sea and the utter brutality that Hamas, ISIS et al demonstrates, ain't no one going to talk or reason them into peace. If the Cananites were like these guys it would explain a lot.

Do you really think that after struggling with this for those many years, that I haven’t made an effort? Really?
    I did not mean to offend.

The only way to make the Bible into a “good” book, in one’s own mind, is to completely ignore or reinterpret the horrid parts that make up the majority of it. In other words, it must be twisted William-Lane-Craig-style* and cherry picked.

* “So whom does God wrong in commanding the destruction of the Canaanites? Not the Canaanite adults, for they were corrupt and deserving of judgment. Not the children, for they inherit eternal life. So who is wronged? Ironically, I think the most difficult part of this whole debate is the apparent wrong done to the Israeli soldiers themselves. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to break into some house and kill a terrified woman and her children? The brutalizing effect on these Israeli soldiers is disturbing.” ~ William Lane Craig

Oh, the poor soldiers! Sickening!

William Lane Craig is only a man who I believe is wrong in this paragraph. Rather contradictory as well as he explains that the people of the time were more accustomed to tribal warfare but then describing the Soldiers as feeling bad about it or being 'wronged'.
    Last edited by MacG; 08-27-2014 at 12:35 AM.

God-free

I wasn't offended; just a little irked.