Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 165

Thread: Why to NOT take Genesis literally.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Christodoulos
    Guest

    Default Why to NOT take Genesis literally.

    The best reason not to take Genesis literally is primarily due to it being unsupported by science.

    Now for Christians ,it's important to know that all scientific discovery has a spiritual component.

    The earth orbiting the sun ,rather than the other way around is still inspiring and still testifies to God's creative powers.

    Genesis was never meant to be a factual account of creation but rather a statement of belief to compete with the other creation stories in the area .. The same kind of beliefs found in various governments stating what they generally believe and advocate.

    Like the words of the cons***ution .. Life liberty pursuit of happiness and so on.. blah blah

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    The best reason not to take Genesis literally is primarily due to it being unsupported by science.

    Now for Christians ,it's important to know that all scientific discovery has a spiritual component.

    The earth orbiting the sun ,rather than the other way around is still inspiring and still testifies to God's creative powers.

    Genesis was never meant to be a factual account of creation but rather a statement of belief to compete with the other creation stories in the area .. The same kind of beliefs found in various governments stating what they generally believe and advocate.

    Like the words of the cons***ution .. Life liberty pursuit of happiness and so on.. blah blah
    Gen 1 was written from an ancient cosmology POV; I haven't checked out all the details yet, but here are 2 articles I found on the subj, and it looks very reasonable, makes lots of sense.
    http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/seelypt1.pdf
    http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/seelypt2.pdf
    It talks about how the ancients thought the sky was a solid ceiling. Very eye-opening.
    TD

  3. #3
    Christodoulos
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdidymas View Post
    Gen 1 was written from an ancient cosmology POV; I haven't checked out all the details yet, but here are 2 articles I found on the subj, and it looks very reasonable, makes lots of sense.
    http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/seelypt1.pdf
    http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/seelypt2.pdf
    It talks about how the ancients thought the sky was a solid ceiling. Very eye-opening.
    TD
    And that's why it's called the FIRMAment in the bible.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    And that's why it's called the FIRMAment in the bible.
    In all fairness, here is a link to an opposing argument:
    https://answersingenesis.org/astrono...-a-solid-dome/
    TD

  5. #5
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    My own view on the issue is that while Genesis is not a book teaching science, it none the less tells a religious story that works within the teachings of science and evolution.

    We don't find evolution taught in the story of Genesis, but then again, we don't find any anti-evolution arguments in the story as well.

    So in the end, I maintain that evolution and Genesis are like friendly neighbors, in that each is their own property yet they get along with their neighbor and together form a very nice relationship in the heart of the believer.

  6. #6
    Christodoulos
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    My own view on the issue is that while Genesis is not a book teaching science, it none the less tells a religious story that works within the teachings of science and evolution.

    We don't find evolution taught in the story of Genesis, but then again, we don't find any anti-evolution arguments in the story as well.

    So in the end, I maintain that evolution and Genesis are like friendly neighbors, in that each is their own property yet they get along with their neighbor and together form a very nice relationship in the heart of the believer.
    you may be on to something. All the more reason to fight the swindlers in the Answersingenesis crowd.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    you may be on to something. All the more reason to fight the swindlers in the Answersingenesis crowd.
    And exactly WHAT makes them 'swindlers?' WHO did they swindle out of WHAT? WHEN and WHERE?

    Instead of casting such disparagement, perhaps you could CITE something specifically?

    BTW the 'solid dome' theory is completely speculative and has NO SUBSTANTIVE SUPPORT anywhere.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    My own view on the issue is that while Genesis is not a book teaching science, it none the less tells a religious story that works within the teachings of science and evolution.

    We don't find evolution taught in the story of Genesis, but then again, we don't find any anti-evolution arguments in the story as well.

    So in the end, I maintain that evolution and Genesis are like friendly neighbors, in that each is their own property yet they get along with their neighbor and together form a very nice relationship in the heart of the believer.
    Neither do we find anti arguments against man being hatched from a duck egg. . .but that is not a reason to believe man hatched from a duck egg either.

    Your argument from absence fallacy is clear.

    The problem with evolution is that it is merely a THEORY, cannot be shown to be replicatable in science, and NEVER shows one species 'morphing' into a new or improved species. The theory is too badly flawed to be considered intelligently, and if you believe it you must do so on the basis of emotions.
    Evolution requires DEATH to PRECEDE God's creation of Man. That is a 100% contradiction to the Biblical account.

  9. #9
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    [COLOR=#0000cd]Neither do we find anti arguments against man being hatched from a duck egg.
    thats my point...


    For so long I have heard from the Young Earthers that the teachings of Evolution are "against' what the Bible says..
    But the truth is, there is nothing in Genesis that actually stands 'against' evolution at all.

    So this means there is no reason for some of my brothers to get all crazy and do name-calling against people like myself who have come to see that the proof behind evolution is sufficient and that there is squat in the bible against it..

    So we dont see any problem with evolution at all.


    The Bible does not teach "against" the evolution of life including man.

    What the Bible does teach, is that man came forth from the earth.
    We see this teaching over and over in the Bible.

    This same teaching is also at the heart of evolution.

    So while evolution itself is not talked about in the Bible what we do find talked about is a story that walks with evolution.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 01-03-2017 at 08:28 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member disciple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    thats my point...


    For so long I have heard from the Young Earthers that the teachings of Evolution are "against' what the Bible says..
    But the truth is, there is nothing in Genesis that actually stands 'against' evolution at all.

    So this means there is no reason for some of my brothers to get all crazy and do name-calling against people like myself who have come to see that the proof behind evolution is sufficient and that there is squat in the bible against it..

    So we dont see any problem with evolution at all.


    The Bible does not teach "against" the evolution of life including man.

    What the Bible does teach, is that man came forth from the earth.
    We see this teaching over and over in the Bible.

    This same teaching is also at the heart of evolution.

    So while evolution itself is not talked about in the Bible what we do find talked about is a story that walks with evolution.
    So Alan I ask again, show one verse in the Bible that would cause a person to come to the conclusion that man evolved from an ape.

    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness". 2Tim 3:16

    Those who would learn the things of God, and be ***ured of them, must know the Holy Scriptures, for they are the Divine revelation. What Darwin wrote was not divine revelation. The Bible is profitable for all purposes of the Christian life. It is of use to all, for all need to be taught, corrected, and reproved. There is something in the Scriptures suitable for every case including Creation, God did not need The Origin of Species to explain Genesis.

  11. #11
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    So Alan I ask again, show one verse in the Bible that would cause a person to come to the conclusion that man evolved from an ape.

    .
    If you drop back and read post number #146 you will see my answer to your request.


    Its why so many times this topic never is allowed to go anywhere except round and round.

    I try my best to tell people that "The Bible does not "teach" evolution, rather it has no anti-evolution arguments within it's text."


    Yet it's like Im talking to a blank wall for the first question I always seem to get is "Show me where the Bible teaches evolution"?



    I just dont know how else to say it...my skills at posting are at their limit Im afraid. I dont know how else to say what it is I see and do not see taught in the bible !


    All I can say is what I have already said, many, many, many times before.
    That is?....

    That is the following,


    In the Bible we learn that all life is from the earth

    In the Bible we learn that huimans are from this earth

    In the Bible we learn that animals and humans share a common starting point.

    In the Bible we learn that the common starting point of all life is this earth.




    And in Evolution we learn that this is all also true as well.






    and...
    In the Bible we don't read any words that stand against evolution, nor do we see any anti-evolutional arguments made.




    So the conclusion is this:
    That both Evolution and Genesis are able to walk hand-in-hand with the other without issue.

  12. #12
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    If you drop back and read post number #146 you will see my answer to your request.


    Its why so many times this topic never is allowed to go anywhere except round and round.

    I try my best to tell people that "The Bible does not "teach" evolution, rather it has no anti-evolution arguments within it's text."


    Yet it's like Im talking to a blank wall for the first question I always seem to get is "Show me where the Bible teaches evolution"?



    I just dont know how else to say it...my skills at posting are at their limit Im afraid. I dont know how else to say what it is I see and do not see taught in the bible !


    All I can say is what I have already said, many, many, many times before.
    That is?....

    That is the following,


    In the Bible we learn that all life is from the earth

    In the Bible we learn that huimans are from this earth

    In the Bible we learn that animals and humans share a common starting point.

    In the Bible we learn that the common starting point of all life is this earth.




    And in Evolution we learn that this is all also true as well.






    and...
    In the Bible we don't read any words that stand against evolution, nor do we see any anti-evolutional arguments made.




    So the conclusion is this:
    That both Evolution and Genesis are able to walk hand-in-hand with the other without issue.
    So if you read my post above and yet still think you are going to post the same question about "Alan show me where the Bible says we evolved from apes?" you can just save both out times and repeat my answer above to that question.

    and if you feel compelled to keep asking that same question over and over, then please also feel free to post my answer in response to that same question as many times as well...

  13. #13
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    For so long I have heard from the Young Earthers that the teachings of Evolution are "against' what the Bible says..
    But the truth is, there is nothing in Genesis that actually stands 'against' evolution at all.

    So this means there is no reason for some of my brothers to get all crazy and do name-calling against people like myself who have come to see that the proof behind evolution is sufficient and that there is squat in the bible against it..

    So we dont see any problem with evolution at all.


    The Bible does not teach "against" the evolution of life including man.

    What the Bible does teach, is that man came forth from the earth.
    We see this teaching over and over in the Bible.

    This same teaching is also at the heart of evolution.

    So while evolution itself is not talked about in the Bible what we do find talked about is a story that walks with evolution.

  14. #14
    Christodoulos
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdidymas View Post
    In all fairness, here is a link to an opposing argument:
    https://answersingenesis.org/astrono...-a-solid-dome/
    TD
    answers in genesis is not an opposing argument but a major swindle.

    There are no answers in 'Answers in Genesis" all it is ,is a clever attempt to trick the vastly gullible among the fundy crowd.

    You can't discuss science with a Genesis literalist without demeaning the Christian Faith.

    This was a serious problem, that goes back to the time of Augustine in the 5th. century.He answered the controversy then; but those who exploit the naive for bucks will still find a way to revive the controversy.

    Ken Ham has made a huge fortune doing exactly that in his incredibly deceptive museum and hs ridiculous answers in genesis comic book.

  15. #15
    cheachea
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    answers in genesis is not an opposing argument but a major swindle.

    There are no answers in 'Answers in Genesis" all it is ,is a clever attempt to trick the vastly gullible among the fundy crowd.

    You can't discuss science with a Genesis literalist without demeaning the Christian Faith.

    This was a serious problem, that goes back to the time of Augustine in the 5th. century.He answered the controversy then; but those who exploit the naive for bucks will still find a way to revive the controversy.

    Ken Ham has made a huge fortune doing exactly that in his incredibly deceptive museum and hs ridiculous answers in genesis comic book.



    It's a shame that you can't provide any proof of your claims/slander against Ken Ham. How long will you keep this campaign of slander going ?

  16. #16
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheachea View Post
    It's a shame that you can't provide any proof of your claims/slander against Ken Ham. How long will you keep this campaign of slander going ?
    I attendedan 8-week cl*** taught by Mr Ham.....
    It was about as pointless way to spend time as you can get...

    But I will never have to people tell me that I dont know the truth about Ham's teachings...cuz i have heard them from Ham himself

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    The best reason not to take Genesis literally is primarily due to it being unsupported by science.

    Now for Christians ,it's important to know that all scientific discovery has a spiritual component.

    We do not need science to support creation. It was a one time supernatural event not a natural one.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  18. #18
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Evolution is true.

    Young Earth Creationism is false.


    (Just thought it needed to be said once in a while)

  19. #19
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Evolution is true.


    Macroevolution is a lie.

  20. #20
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    Macroevolution is a lie.
    Young Earth Creationism is a lie...

  21. #21
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Young Earth Creationism is a lie...


    Ok, they're both a lie.

  22. #22
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Young Earth Creationism is a dreamed-up idea by people that don't understand the bible...

    evolution is a idea that works within the Genesis text.


    Thats the difference.
    Creationism is false...its a false idea that never was true.

  23. #23
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    *Creationism - the belief that the universe and living organisms originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in the biblical account, rather than by natural processes such as evolution.




    So You Don't Believe The Bible, but you do believe the lie that is evolution.

  24. #24
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Wrong.....

    YOUNG EARTH creationism is not in the bible....YEC is a lie .

    Evolution works hand in hand with the Genesis story.

  25. #25
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    science and Evolution work hand in hand with the Genesis story.

    What is the first things the Bible says were created?...The answer is that in the beginning God created "the heavens and the earth"
    This fits within the teachings of science.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •