Thread: KING David and Big Sol. Fact or Fiction?

Christodoulos

Default KING David and Big Sol. Fact or Fiction?

Whoever wrote the First Book of the Kings and the Second Book of the Chronicles could not foresee the detailed verification potential of modern archaeology.

The city of King Solomon in Jerusalem is thought to be on the slope leading down from what is now the Al Aqsa mosque. Israeli archaeologists have been desperately excavating the site for many decades yet not one iota of evidence of the existence of King Solomon has been found. No mention of his name has been found on any tablet, inscription, tax record or pot decoration.

Anyone who has visited Egypt will have seen widespread evidence of a monarch who reigned three hundred years before Solomon, Pharaoh Rameses II, yet of King Solomon who ruled over a vast empire and army (1 Kings 4, 21-26 and 1 Kings 9, 17-23, 2 Chronicles 9, 25-26) there is no trace. All the v***al peoples who paid taxes to him have left not a single record of account or inscription. Not one of the soldiers of his conquering army left a sword, helmet or shield.

Professor Yadin’s two volume work "The Art Of Warfare In Biblical Lands" (International Publishing Co. Ltd., Jerusalem 1963) has ample illustrated examples of discovered contemporary armour and weapons from other lands, but one looks in vain for a single item from the Solomonic empire.

Search through Israel’s museums and you will find no evidence from the empire although there are ample artefacts marked "Canaan" or "Philistine". It is inconceivable that if Solomon and his empire had existed in reality not a trace of them could be found from all the archaeological "digs" throughout Israel.

Who then created this fiction, when and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Christodoulos View Post
    Whoever wrote the First Book of the Kings and the Second Book of the Chronicles could not foresee the detailed verification potential of modern archaeology.

The city of King Solomon in Jerusalem is thought to be on the slope leading down from what is now the Al Aqsa mosque. Israeli archaeologists have been desperately excavating the site for many decades yet not one iota of evidence of the existence of King Solomon has been found. No mention of his name has been found on any tablet, inscription, tax record or pot decoration.

Anyone who has visited Egypt will have seen widespread evidence of a monarch who reigned three hundred years before Solomon, Pharaoh Rameses II, yet of King Solomon who ruled over a vast empire and army (1 Kings 4, 21-26 and 1 Kings 9, 17-23, 2 Chronicles 9, 25-26) there is no trace. All the v***al peoples who paid taxes to him have left not a single record of account or inscription. Not one of the soldiers of his conquering army left a sword, helmet or shield.

Professor Yadin’s two volume work "The Art Of Warfare In Biblical Lands" (International Publishing Co. Ltd., Jerusalem 1963) has ample illustrated examples of discovered contemporary armour and weapons from other lands, but one looks in vain for a single item from the Solomonic empire.

Search through Israel’s museums and you will find no evidence from the empire although there are ample artefacts marked "Canaan" or "Philistine". It is inconceivable that if Solomon and his empire had existed in reality not a trace of them could be found from all the archaeological "digs" throughout Israel.

Who then created this fiction, when and why?
    So if you hold to your line of thinking you also have to question whether Jesus existed or was at least truthful. Jesus spoke about David and Solomon.

“and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.” Matthew 6:29

“The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.” Matthew 12:42

“But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him.” Matthew 12:3

“For David himself said by the Holy Spirit: ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” Mark 12:36

Christodoulos

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    So if you hold to your line of thinking you also have to question whether Jesus existed or was at least truthful. Jesus spoke about David and Solomon.

“and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.” Matthew 6:29

“The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.” Matthew 12:42

“But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him.” Matthew 12:3

“For David himself said by the Holy Spirit: ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” Mark 12:36
    I understand the point ;i get it . O.K.

But you are looking at things through some very arrow gl***es.

You have to understand the role that literature plays in religion,especially in the bible era.

The people at that time used allegory and historical narratives to establish either a spiritual truth or an explanation pertaining to their well being or to their very existence as a people.

Once this became an acceptable precept for the people to follow ,it could then be quoted in any future discussions. So, the Exodus story became history and the details of the story led to a more in depth discussion from which newer truths were learned.

Look, I've been at this for a long time ;in and out of the cl***room. And none of this should change one's christian faith.