Thread: the issues.....computer

alanmolstad

Default the issues.....computer

I have had one issue with my computer or the internet after another.
    They have been out to fix my system 4 times, and still its mostly just hit or miss as far as being able to post anything ...

But I will try to post new topics this week...

John T

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I have had one issue with my computer or the internet after another.
    They have been out to fix my system 4 times, and still its mostly just hit or miss as far as being able to post anything ...

But I will try to post new topics this week...
    Do you have any specific programs that you use with Windoze that cannot be used used with another OS? Logos 5 is an example of that, and also such may be the case with Photo Shop.

AFTER you back up your system on DVD, I recommend that you go here http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php.

This is a FREE OS for your computer system, and in many ways is superior to MS Windoze, but is lacking a few bells and whistles. It is supported by an array of volunteers and it is "open source" meaning that none of it is propitiatory (intellectual property) ,

If your computer supports a dual boot (look in your mobo manual, or call tech support) I recommend going here : http://askubuntu.com/questions/39944...de-windows-8-1. This site also gives you some screen shots of what Linux looks like.

However, there are many programs that are included for word processing and sprerad sheets. They are called "packages" b but there are other free programs that will work for the Internet, as an example. Mozilla (browser) and Thunderbird (email processing) are also supported. Here is the user manual to download. http://www.linuxmint.com/documentati...glish_17.0.pdf

The manual also tells you how to connect with the user forum so you can ask all sorts of questions before you "pull the trigger"

alanmolstad

You lost me at "Do you have...."

however I will have my wife read your post and she knows computer stuff......

One of the things i noticed is that the company where we get our internet from came out before this stuff all happend and "updated" our antenna....and after that things kept breaking down and we would loose the signal .

Right now what seems to happen is that things will be going along fine, then suddenly i notice that a video or something will not play..and then when i check i cant go to any websites or do anything...

Then for some reason about 15 min later suddenly the video will start to play and things are back to normal????

This has been going on for a long time now...even this morning when I treied to get on-line I had to wait as the computer would not do anything...none of the keys or things i could click on helped me get on a website...not even GOOGLE homePage ...

Then suddenly everything is fine....

John T

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    You lost me at "Do you have...."

however I will have my wife read your post and she knows computer stuff......

One of the things i noticed is that the company where we get our internet from came out before this stuff all happend and "updated" our antenna....and after that things kept breaking down and we would loose the signal .

Right now what seems to happen is that things will be going along fine, then suddenly i notice that a video or something will not play..and then when i check i cant go to any websites or do anything...

Then for some reason about 15 min later suddenly the video will start to play and things are back to normal????

This has been going on for a long time now...even this morning when I treied to get on-line I had to wait as the computer would not do anything...none of the keys or things i could click on helped me get on a website...not even GOOGLE homePage ...

Then suddenly everything is fine....
    Actually, everything is NOT fine.

The first thing you need to do is to BACK UP EVERYTHING ONTO A DVD. You DO back up, don't you?

I say this because there MAY be an issue with your hard drive, and no one wants to loose so much data if the hard drive is going south, or has "gremlins".

Then you need to make sure your computer is clean. I recommend going here https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimcleaner.php but DO NOT tap on the big green banner that says "download from Download.com. That site is full of nasty stuff that hijacks your web browser, search engine and mail program. It is nasty to remove, Take that from a victim!. Instead, under the big green bar is a tiny notice that says " Download SlimCleaner Now from SlimWare Utilities" That is free.

Should you have any issues with any nasty stuff from downloads in your computer, you should also install Revo Uninstaller. Go here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html. If you cannot get it directly from that site, then go here first: http://www.revouninstaller.com. This is also free, and the best thing about this product is that it is vigorous, and will clean hidden files and registry entries.

After you download Revo, then run it, and look for anything that seems "suspicious". meaning that you do not recognize it, nor do you have the program on your computer. This identifies any files that come from sites like "download.com", which place all sorts of junk on your hard drives, then you can control what you want to have completely erased off your HDs.

After you down load uninstaller, use these programs in this order:
    1) defragment. After a time your data moves around on the hard drive with bits and piecsa here and there. This operation takes your files and arranges them so that the file data of one program is near to every other file of that same program. Therefore the program for email is all together in one block on your hard drive. It is easier to access, and it speeds up yjr time the computer needs to access the files for that program.

Then I recommend going to any two sites such as Symantec, Trend Micro, Avast, Kaperski, etc (NOT PC Magic) and look for their FREE scan section. Trend calls theirs "House call/visit" something like that. You want to do two to do a more thorough search. It is easy for something to hide from one antivirus, but not two. If you do NOT have a good AV software, try AVG, it is good, and it also is free. Thewre are some sites that will only "find problems, and not ewliminate them if you do not buy their product. Don't because there are many good and free antiviruses available.

When finished this step, you have eliminated any electronic or file mangling on your hard drive. The next step is to look at the hard disk, essentially "opening the hood". For that you need to open Slimware Utilities, and then do a disk ****yzer. Disk ****yzer provides a visual display of a PC's hard drive so that consumers can ****yze the contents and easily identify what's taking up disk space. Disk ****yzer reads the contents of a drive to flag large files that are taking up an extraordinary amount of space, giving consumers the option to remove them. Users have the ability to view files by directory or file type. This feature is especially useful for consumers who use Ultrabooks and solid state drives, which offer less storage space and make it more important to have a clean, efficient drive.

Then use "Duplicate Finder" it finds duplicate items, and that will also create more free space.

Finally, go back to Disk ****yzer and see if there are any places in bright red, or horrid color, which indicate a "dead spot" on your HD. Hard drives are designed to have MTBF (Mean [average] Time Before Failure ) of 5 or more years; they do not last forever. That is serious, if there are many. It means that your hard drive is failing, and that you need a new one. But you need not worry because the first thing you did is back up your entire hard drive on DVDs, right? BTW there is really no difficulty in taking out and replacing a hard drive, just make sure the cord is out of the socket, and that you are careful about what you do with the screw driver, and screws.

You may need to install your old windoze operating system, or the free OS I recommended earlier onto your new hard drive. Let me know what comes up, OK?

alanmolstad

My wife says that the problem is that we are being "bunmped" off due to too much traffic.

This situation should get better in a few weeks when a new tower is up and running in a different dirrection but closer to our house.
    At that point the guy will once again come out to our house and aim the antenna at the new tower and they "say" that our service will be far better.

right not when too many people get on their computer we get bumped off and its like that until the number of people goes down and there is room

alanmolstad

the problems I talked about in this post continued until the company we get our internet from put up a tower closer to us.

the new system is great....we have faster internet now and e do not get bumped off.

What was happening before is that because we live so far from a town the signal is very weak, and this would cause us to get bumped-off when lots of people that have a stronger signal were on line.

Right now the tower is only about 3 miles away from our farm, and so the signal is very clear.

The other thing that is helping this website is that the owners have worked on the site to make it more safe from the spam attacks that are constantly attacking forums such as this.
    The website itself now is far less frustrating compared to what it was like a few years ago.
    Back then about 1/2 the posted comments were about all the other posts that got lost.
    many people used to have whole posts simply disappear.

I dont think i have seen anyone complain about that in a while here...
    When I took over as the MOD here one of the very first things I knew I had to start looking out for was that from now on it's up to me to make sure we dont have any spammers or seller programs get in the WM forum front door and start filling on the forum with ads to other websites.
    Im told that some spammers will register here just to try to post sales ads.

At first there were a few to clear....but as of late none at all, so the spam filters that the owner of our forum have running seem to be doing their *** good...
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 05-02-2017 at 08:14 PM.