I brought this up once before without elaborating on it.

Baptism with the Spirit, an issue that is capable of generating praise and rejection. Myself, one with a considerable amount of time in this don’t wish to concern myself with it either way. But for the many who are looking at moving into this option, I would like to advise against something not supported in scripture even for those in favor of the Bw/S. That happens to be accelerated coaching to receive the gift.

This is a form of mild to overly hysterical prayer encouraging the seeker to participate with the “prayer partner” coach to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Understandably, one can see what is at stake here, is it purely carnal momentum, or a moment leading up to the event? I have a different take on this mix. If it is coaching that acceptance will not receive, fine. Then go back to the biblical method.

1It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul p***ed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7There were in all about twelve men. (Acts 19:1-7)

It is no secret that Pentecostal evangelists will openly admit there is a false gift going around. Yet addressing the line of seekers with a manual unction to conjure the gift is maintained I believe. It’s been a while for me to actually witness. But that’s one-confusion that is really quite correctable. Painfully simple I think, humble ourselves to admit, cut away all else that might have a means to subs***ute it being by His Spirit alone.

I could only wonder why those who so instruct feel the need to help God? Let there be no coaching, but only by this example. Then, if God will so bless, it will be less of the coach and more of the promise. It will be the gift and not a stumbling into momentum.

Comes "in", or comes "upon"

When He, the Spirit comes upon us there is no question He is in us. But I also think the “comes upon” applies. When the seeker draws near to God by this means, when and if an authentic infilling occurs, He comes upon the seekers at***ude or demeanor that chooses to either walk with or quench Him away.

He may cause through us gifts to into being, cause concurrent filling of joy, etc., but personal choice remains untouched. He comes upon that.

So, for those interested in receiving that “promise” isn’t battered about with neglect or confusion:

For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." (Acts 1:5)

“And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning. “And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ “Therefore if God gave to them the same gift as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” (Acts 11:15-17)

So have all those erred when they insist Spirit-baptism is commanded to do God’s will with power?

"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49)

On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” (Acts1:4,5)

The word reaches far beyond the eleven to “observe all”, even to us:

But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt 28:16-20)

I think some hold this teaching as a cr*** ambition that begs for adherents, possibly unappealing, weighted as an out of the way relic teaching while they rely on faith to make up for filling at some point in their lives. But, no matter how popular the trends, despising the promise has never been an option.

Lay hands on no man suddenly, but confirm “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” (V2)
Lay hands on all men with the gentleness of the Spirit in prayer.

May it be by God. May His Spirit bless you.

Mike.