Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Belive And Be Saved

alanmolstad

and what are the "works" of God...?

The answer is that "thee" work (the only one) is to believe in the Son that the father has sent.

Nothing else counts...Nothing else matters...Only that one single "work" of putting your "FAITH" in the Son!

Can I get an Amen?

alanmolstad

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

Jesus told them, "This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent."

http://biblehub.com/john/6-29.htm

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"

Jesus told them, "This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent."
    Was this the exchange?

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version (KJV)
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Alan--when you find the term "faith" in the Bible--is that a reference to a faith with works--or a faith without works?

alanmolstad

In the conversation the guy says he has kept all the law, and Jesus does not disagree with him...so the guy kept all the laws....and yet was lacking.

Thats the ending of the story, thats the lesson we learn....the guy walks away sad, with all his mighty works being rejected.
    The very thing (works) that he thought would show everyone that he was for sure saved turned out to be pointless.

thats the lesson here....that works, (all the works), are a moot point if you have not the one work that God requires...FAITH in his son.

alanmolstad

so in other words...

We Christians should not do works to get saved, rather we should do works because we have BEEN saved!

Works come forth out of our faith.
    For this is the Justification by works, for works are seen by men and therefore our works show men our hearts.

But before God we are justified by only Faith alone...apart from any works.

teenapenny

so in other words...

We Christians should not do works to get saved, rather we should do works because we have BEEN saved!

Works come forth out of our faith.
    For this is the Justification by works, for works are seen by men and therefore our works show men our hearts.

That sounds good.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by teenapenny View Post
    That sounds good.
    I agree totally!

According to Jesus, what 2 additional things (in addition to obeying the 7 or so commandments that he had been keeping) did the man need to do in order to get eternal life?
    From the forum rules: "The definition of a derogatory term is one that insults, belittles or treats a group or individual with contempt. "

"If you have to resort to making fun of people and their ideas, you have nothing valuable to contribute here."

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by teenapenny View Post
    That sounds good.
    Hi, I like to check the guest registry and I do see you visit this site a lot during the week,

I always wanted to ask you if there is a story behind your screen name?

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Was this the exchange?

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Alan--when you find the term "faith" in the Bible--is that a reference to a faith with works--or a faith without works?
    In the conversation the guy says he has kept all the law, and Jesus does not disagree with him...so the guy kept all the laws....and yet was lacking.
    But Jesus' testimony was not lacking anything:

Thats the ending of the story, thats the lesson we learn....the guy walks away sad, with all his mighty works being rejected.
    Please do relate to us what works were rejected. I find the only thing that was rejected was Jesus' direction to sell all he had--and come and follow the Savior.

So--where do you find obedience to the commandments being rejected?

Revelation 22:14---King James Version (KJV)
    14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

that works, (all the works), are a moot point if you have not the one work that God requires...FAITH in his son.
    When you state "faith"--is that a reference to a faith with works--or a faith without works?

James 2:20-26---King James Version (KJV)
    20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

dberrie2000

James 2:24---New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

alanmolstad

yes, there is a justification by faith, and a justification by works.

So there in not just the one talked about in the bible,but both are....that is true.

It works out in real life as this:
    The justification by works is the way people cant read your mind but they can see in the things that you do and say what you are like inside.
    Your works then speak as to the condition of your heart.

If you have no good things in your life , chances are you dont have much of a faith life as well, for the works are to come forth out of your faith.

On the other hand:
    There is also the Justification by faith.
    This is the way we are seen by God, for only God sees into the inner man's heart.

So God sees my heart and he knows my faith in him and that is why I know Im saved....not by my works, but by grace though my faith in Him and him alone!

So this is why we say that before men we are justified by works
    and before God we are justified by FAITH!...

can i get an "Amen"?

Default God disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    Okay, so believing in Jesus Christ is not enough to be saved. Then list for us the additional requirements.
    Why do you say that? GOD does not say that. I don't say that. We CHRISTIANS don't say that.

GOD SAYS WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH, NOT JUNK WE DO:

Eph 2:8-10
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    NKJV

You may wave a purple lantern to the east 56 times and chant 'oonga oonga oonga' 72 times and that STILL will not give you the ONLY requirement for salvation.

FAITH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU "DO" STUFF TO GET.

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God:

Rom 10:17
    17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    NKJV

If you have faith, IT CAME FROM GOD THROUGH HIS WORD. THE BIBLE.

If you do NOT have faith in Jesus Christ, it is because God has NOT given it to you.

If your faith is in a FALSE christ and/or a FALSE father god who supposedly also fathered satan, you are doomed to hell.

Sorry Erundur, but you seem to be out of luck here. . .

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post But before God we are justified by only Faith alone...apart from any works.
    Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post

yes, there is a justification by faith, and a justification by works.
    The point being-- not by faith alone.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    [COLOR=#0000ff]Why do you say that? GOD does not say that. I don't say that. We CHRISTIANS don't say that.

GOD SAYS WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH,
    In the LDS church--one is saved by God's grace.

PLUS a bunch of junk like keeping ordinances, and DOING other junk.

GOD says:

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    NKJV

Sorry berry, but YOU don't do it. . .ONLY GOD CAN DO IT FOR YOU.

PLUS a bunch of junk like keeping ordinances, and DOING other junk.

GOD says:

NKJV

Sorry berry, but YOU don't do it. . .ONLY GOD CAN DO IT FOR YOU. And HE does it by giving us FAITH in Jesus Christ.

Why do you say that?
    Because that's what I thought you were saying. Are you telling me now that believing in Jesus Christ is enough to be saved?

GOD SAYS WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH, NOT JUNK WE DO:
    ACTUALLY, GOD SAYS WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE, NOT JUNK WE BELIEVE:

alanmolstad

Because that's what I thought you were saying. Are you telling me now that believing in Jesus Christ is enough to be saved?

[.
    "They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

"They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
    Mormons believe in the Lord Jesus, so are we saved?

alanmolstad

Mormons believe in the Lord Jesus, so are we saved?
    Not if you put your faith in the invented " Jesus* " that Smith pushed.

But....

But if you have just a little-tiny, itsy-bitsy , almost insignificant amount of doubt as to the whole concocted story that Joe Smith pushed?...then you are saved.

(Truthfully Erunder, I actually think that only the most strident believers in Smith's claims are actually the ones who are dead in their sins and totally lost.)

* see- Matthew 24:24
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 08-22-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Not if you put your faith in the invented " Jesus* " that Smith pushed.
    Our faith is in Jesus Christ, not in any invented "Jesus*". So are we saved?

But if you have just a little-tiny, itsy-bitsy , almost insignificant amount of doubt as to the whole concocted story that Joe Smith pushed?...then you are saved.
    Wait, so now salvation is by doubt? Where does the Bible say that?

alanmolstad

Our faith is in Jesus Christ, not in any invented "Jesus*". So are we saved?

Wait, so now salvation is by doubt? Where does the Bible say that?
    My point is this...
    Joe Smith was a conman who invented a false idea of the Christ..and as we know you are dead in your sins if you put your faith in a false Christ.

However I also point out as did Walter Martin that a lot of Mormons don't really believe in Smith's story and his teachings ...Thus for such people I remain hopefully that in their hearts they have secretly come to know my Lord that I and Walter preach.

My point is this...
    But your point doesn't answer my questions. Since Mormons have faith in Jesus Christ, are we saved? Or is salvation by doubt instead?

dberrie2000

[COLOR=#0000ff]PLUS a bunch of junk like keeping ordinances,
    Such as this?

Acts 2:38---King James Version (KJV)
    38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.