Apostasy (from Greek αποστασία, meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "standing") is a term generally employed to describe the formal abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Append...f_Jewish_terms

What is the difference between apostasy and a "Sunday only Christian" who follows Jesus only on one hour during a church service because the rest of the time is not God's? He's a Christian, right? But he or she holds the Christian faith to be unworthy the rest of their time, right? So it was easy for me to see in my youth people put forth dozens of scriptural ideas and angles to things. How crazy is it if I look at it through the lense of sin and ask a legitimate question from definitions?

Ever hear of a Creaster? It is a merging of the word "Christmas" and "Easter" for a Christian who only comes out on Christmas and Easter? Isn't God worth following the rest of the year?

So what is your definition for apostasy? Is your definition too big or too small?