Thread: What is your view of Apostasy?

chuckt

Default What is your view of Apostasy?

Apostasy (from Greek αποστασία, meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "standing") is a term generally employed to describe the formal abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Append...f_Jewish_terms

What is the difference between apostasy and a "Sunday only Christian" who follows Jesus only on one hour during a church service because the rest of the time is not God's? He's a Christian, right? But he or she holds the Christian faith to be unworthy the rest of their time, right? So it was easy for me to see in my youth people put forth dozens of scriptural ideas and angles to things. How crazy is it if I look at it through the lense of sin and ask a legitimate question from definitions?

Ever hear of a Creaster? It is a merging of the word "Christmas" and "Easter" for a Christian who only comes out on Christmas and Easter? Isn't God worth following the rest of the year?

So what is your definition for apostasy? Is your definition too big or too small?

alanmolstad

well...I only use the term "Apostasy" to talk about teachings.

I never use it to talk about "attendance".
    I never use it to talk about being a member of one Christian church or another, nor if you are busy at your church or just there for looks.
    I never use the term to talk about people that dont have a current church home.

Saxon

Default Two Terms

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    Apostasy (from Greek αποστασία, meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "standing") is a term generally employed to describe the formal abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Append...f_Jewish_terms

What is the difference between apostasy and a "Sunday only Christian" who follows Jesus only on one hour during a church service because the rest of the time is not God's? He's a Christian, right? But he or she holds the Christian faith to be unworthy the rest of their time, right? So it was easy for me to see in my youth people put forth dozens of scriptural ideas and angles to things. How crazy is it if I look at it through the lense of sin and ask a legitimate question from definitions?

Ever hear of a Creaster? It is a merging of the word "Christmas" and "Easter" for a Christian who only comes out on Christmas and Easter? Isn't God worth following the rest of the year?

So what is your definition for apostasy? Is your definition too big or too small?

Definition of apostasy (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apostasy)
    plural apostasies
    1 renunciation of a religious faith
    2 abandonment of a previous loyalty defection

Strong's
    646 αποστασια apostasia ap-os-tas-ee’-ah
    feminine of the same as 647; TDNT-1:513,88; {See TDNT 116} n f
    AV-to forsake + 575 1, falling away 1; 2
    1) a falling away, defection, apostasy

The Merriam Webster Dictionary definition of apostasy is in agreement of the definition that you have supplied. What we are dealing with is 2 words. Apostasy being an English word that is a transliteration of the Greek word, apostasia, that is in the Greek text. (See Acts 21:21 and 2 Thessalonians 2:3)

What is important to notice is the English, apostasy, says that it is a renunciation of a religious faith, where the Greek word, apostasia, Leaves you free to state what you are falling away from or forsaking. Acts 21:21 makes it abundantly clear that the "falling away" is from Moses. 2 Thessalonians 2:3 is not so clear as to what this falling away is from. (I think that it is an indication that it is a pre-tribulation rapture; a falling away from the earth. Pay close attention to 2 Thessalonians 2:3 and 4. That sounds like the revealing of the Anti-Christ.)

I think that you are giving too much credit to the Sunday only by giving him the ***le Christian. Now I can't be the judge of all the Sunday only people as we all walk in the light that we are given, but if that person is only coming on Sunday because he believes he is obligate so he can get to heaven, I would wonder if this person was in touch with Jesus. You seem to be headed down the road that leads me to believe that this Sunday only is not living the rest of the week in a Christian like manner. This would lead me to believe that it would be impossible for this individual to be living in a state of apostasy (English term) as you have to be a Christian in order to fall away from the religious faith of Christianity. You can't fall away from where you have never been. If you were living in a state of apostasia, (Greek term) you could fall away from a roof or anything that a person could possibly fall away from. This applies to the Christmas and Easter people as well.

Acts 21:21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
    2 Thessalonians 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Something quite deliberate rather than what you desribed, as in the difference between a lazy hindrance and the previously defined “abandonment” and resulting damages. Apostasy isn't the final curtain but is the last stage of a rebellious spirit.

Saxon

I have no idea what you are saying.

alanmolstad

you will find that he simply does not wish to have a real conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    I have no idea what you are saying.
    Don’t let a lesser ability to freely-adapt bother you. You can either move along or ask..

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by MichaellS View Post
    Don’t let a lesser ability to freely-adapt bother you. You can either move along or ask..
    good luck with that pearl too....

Saxon

My inability to understand you should lead you to explain or is Alan correct??

alanmolstad

Both...

Whenever I post something I always try to ask if there was anything I said that was a bit confusing?...

(I do this because when I post something I consider it worth writing.
    And if its worth writing, then I believe it's worth reading.
    And if its worth reading, its got to also be worth understanding.
    And that leads me to the final conclusion that if what I post cant be understood, then, what was the point of me posting it again? )

and....yes, Im also always right.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    good luck with that pearl too....
    Thanks, I take that as a compliment coming from one accustom to slur Hexameral thought.

My comment is what it is, your continuation to generalize and question it as a whole is becoming something of a spectacle. While my comment was primarily not directed at you, though I did snippet from your post, I would like to re***ert my response to the op question; that there’s a difference between apostasy and lukewarmness.

Saxon

My comment is what it is, your continuation to generalize and question it as a whole is becoming something of a spectacle. While my comment was primarily not directed at you, though I did snippet from your post, I would like to re***ert my response to the op question; that there’s a difference between apostasy and lukewarmness.

Your comment is what it is and that still is beyond the scope of my comprehension. It is also obvious that my comment is beyond your comprehension,

I do believe that what I have stated is much more than the generalization that you have indicated. It is in fact, an explicit answer to the OP and to the question of what apostasy is. My response also demonstrates that apostasy and “Luke warmness” are two completely different terms that are not related whatsoever. If you still believe that it is a generalization of the subject of the OP, I invite you to demonstrate this by you offering an answer to the OP in a direct answer that can be understood.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    well...I only use the term "Apostasy" to talk about teachings.

I never use it to talk about "attendance".
    I never use it to talk about being a member of one Christian church or another, nor if you are busy at your church or just there for looks.
    I never use the term to talk about people that dont have a current church home.

And that is the answer ....