Thread: Orson Pratt's Wife

alanmolstad

Default Orson Pratt's Wife

Orson Pratt's Wife, Sarah
    "Sometime in late 1840 or early 1841, Joseph Smith confided to his friend that he was smitten by the "amiable and accomplished" Sarah Pratt and wanted her for "one of his spiritual wives, for the Lord had given her to him as a special favor for his faithfulness" (emphasis in original).

Shortly afterward, the two men took some of Bennett's sewing to Sarah's house.
    During the visit, as Bennett describes it, Joseph said, "Sister Pratt, the Lord has given you to me as one of my spiritual wives.
    I have the blessings of Jacob granted me, as God granted holy men of old, and as I have long looked upon you with favor, and an earnest desire of connubial bliss, I hope you will not repulse or deny me."

"And is that the great secret that I am not to utter," Sarah replied. "Am I called upon to break the marriage covenant, and prove recreant to my lawful husband! I never will."

She added, "I care not for the blessings of Jacob. I have one good husband, and that is enough for me."

But according to Bennett, the Prophet was persistent.

Finally Sarah angrily told him on a subsequent visit, "Joseph, if you ever attempt any thing of the kind with me again, I will make a full disclosure to Mr. Pratt on his return home. Depend upon it, I will certainly do it."

"Sister Pratt," the Prophet responded, "I hope you will not expose me, for if I suffer, all must suffer; so do not expose me. Will you promise me that you will not do it?"

"If you will never insult me again," Sarah replied, "I will not expose you unless strong circumstances should require it."

"If you should tell," the Prophet added, "I will ruin your reputation, remember that."
    (Article "Sarah M. Pratt" by Richard A. Van Wagoner, Dialogue, Vol.19, No.2, p.72. Also see: http://www.xmission.com/~country/reason/spratt.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Orson Pratt's Wife, Sarah
    "Sometime in late 1840 or early 1841, Joseph Smith confided to his friend that he was smitten by the "amiable and accomplished" Sarah Pratt and wanted her for "one of his spiritual wives, for the Lord had given her to him as a special favor for his faithfulness" (emphasis in original).

Shortly afterward, the two men took some of Bennett's sewing to Sarah's house.
    During the visit, as Bennett describes it, Joseph said, "Sister Pratt, the Lord has given you to me as one of my spiritual wives.
    I have the blessings of Jacob granted me, as God granted holy men of old, and as I have long looked upon you with favor, and an earnest desire of connubial bliss, I hope you will not repulse or deny me."

"And is that the great secret that I am not to utter," Sarah replied. "Am I called upon to break the marriage covenant, and prove recreant to my lawful husband! I never will."

She added, "I care not for the blessings of Jacob. I have one good husband, and that is enough for me."

But according to Bennett, the Prophet was persistent.

Finally Sarah angrily told him on a subsequent visit, "Joseph, if you ever attempt any thing of the kind with me again, I will make a full disclosure to Mr. Pratt on his return home. Depend upon it, I will certainly do it."

"Sister Pratt," the Prophet responded, "I hope you will not expose me, for if I suffer, all must suffer; so do not expose me. Will you promise me that you will not do it?"

"If you will never insult me again," Sarah replied, "I will not expose you unless strong circumstances should require it."

"If you should tell," the Prophet added, "I will ruin your reputation, remember that."
    (Article "Sarah M. Pratt" by Richard A. Van Wagoner, Dialogue, Vol.19, No.2, p.72. Also see: http://www.xmission.com/~country/reason/spratt.htm)
    LOL.... Once again your sources are AntiMormons quoting AntiMormons quoting AntiMormons... Which doesn't even rise to the level of gossip. You also forgot to mention that at this time Bennett was excommunicated because he was accused of having an affair with Sarah and other women in the city while Orson was away on a mission. This letter was an attempt by Bennett to deny it and then accuse Joseph Smith of adultry. You also forgot to post the rest of the story which makes this rant all the more ridiculous and unbelievable.
    If," said she, "you will never insult me again, I will not expose you, unless strong circumstances should require it."

"If you should tell," said he, "I will ruin your reputation; remember that', and as you have repulsed me, it becomes sin, unless sacrifice is offered."

He then desired that a Iamb should be procured and slain, and the doorposts and the gate sprinkled with its blood, and the kidneys and entrails taken and offered upon an altar of twelve stones that had not been touched with a hammer, as a burnt sin-offering, for the purpose of saving him and his priesthood. His desire was complied with, and the lamb procured from Captain Barnett, and slain by Lieutenant Stephen H. Goddard; and the kidneys and entrails were offered in sacrifice, as Joe desired; and he observed, "All is now safe; the Destroying Angel will p*** over without harming any of us." (John C. Bennett, The History of the Saints, 228–231)

In Bennett's original letter to the Sangamo Journal he was careful to state that he had procured the alleged lamb and he had offered it on the altar. He wrote:

"Well, sister Pratt," says Joe, "as you have refused me, it becomes sin, unless sacrifice is offered:" and turning to me he said, "General, if you are my friend I wish you to procure a lamb, and have it slain, and sprinkle the door posts and the gate with its blood, and take the kidneys and the entrails and offer them upon an alter of twelve stones that have not been touched with a hammer, as a burnt offering, and it will save me and my priesthood. Will you do it?" "I will," I replied. So I procured the lamb from Capt. John T. Barnett, and it was slain by Lieut. Stephen H. Goddard, and I [Bennett] offered kidneys and entrails in sacrifice for Joe as desired (italics added). (Wasp Extra, July 27, 1842; Sangamo Journal, July 15, 1842)
    There is a reason that no one but the most truly gullible of AntiMormons will use this story as proof of anything.
    Last edited by theway; 11-19-2015 at 10:49 AM.