Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Joseph Smith's Motives

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    You seem to forget that God said that when people repent he remembers their sins no more. I am sure that promise held true for Abraham as well.
    I'm not the one who claims Abraham had anything to repent of, as adultery--that seems to be your and Alan's accusation.

So--where do we find Abraham's repentance?

Genesis 25:1-8---King James Version (KJV)
    1Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.
    2 And she bare him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah.
    3 And Jokshan begat Sheba, and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were ***hurim, and Letushim, and Leummim.
    4 And the sons of Midian; Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abidah, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.
    5 And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac.
    6 But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.
    7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
    8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Yes, the Biblical record testifies Abraham obeyed the voice of God:

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version (KJV)
    4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
    5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

David--I'm not the one who accuses Abraham of adultery--you and Alan seem to follow that line.

So--how did Abraham escape Paul's condemnation?

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version (KJV)
    19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    You seem to forget that God said that when people repent he remembers their sins no more. I am sure that promise held true for Abraham as well.
    That's fine, David. Now, all we need is for you to show us where Abraham repented:

2 And she bare him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah.
    3 And Jokshan begat Sheba, and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were ***hurim, and Letushim, and Leummim.
    4 And the sons of Midian; Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abidah, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.
    6 But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.
    7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
    8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.

dberrie2000

double post
    Last edited by dberrie2000; 09-08-2016 at 11:35 AM.

dberrie2000

double post
    Last edited by dberrie2000; 09-08-2016 at 11:36 AM.

dberrie2000

Again--where do we find the repentance of Abraham for adultery?(which you accuse him of)

Berean

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post
    Again--where do we find the repentance of Abraham for adultery?(which you accuse him of)

Nonsense

It's one thing to say that God "allowed" polygamy and another thing to say that he sanctioned it. If polygamy is the norm, the entire illustration of Christ’s relationship with His "bride," the body (the church) and the husband-wife relationship falls apart.

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post Again--where do we find the repentance of Abraham for adultery?(which you accuse him of)

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    Nonsense

It's one thing to say that God "allowed" polygamy and another thing to say that he sanctioned it. If polygamy is the norm, the entire illustration of Christ’s relationship with His "bride," the body (the church) and the husband-wife relationship falls apart.
    If God did not approve of Abraham's polygamy--then Abraham was an adulterer.

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version (KJV)
    19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.