Thread: Debate - Does God Exist (2009-04-04) - Christopher Hitchens Vs William Lane Craig

Default Debate - Does God Exist (2009-04-04) - Christopher Hitchens Vs William Lane Craig

God-free

Is there something about this debate that you'd like to discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by God-free View Post
    Is there something about this debate that you'd like to discuss?

I posted it mostly to try and get the ball rolling in this section of the forum again.

Hopefully it will entertain both Christians and Atheists and stir up some dialog from both sides.

One thing I will say is that even though I don't agree with Hitchens, I like him as a person. I don't know how to explain it really.

He seemed like a cool guy to hang around.

I think anyone would agree that it is possible for God to exist without the universe, but I also believe that it is not possible for the universe to exist without God. Everything that comes into existence owes its existence to something else. The cause of the universe must be outside of and apart from the universe.

The credibility of God's existence does not really depend on whether we can see Him or not but will depend on the extent to which He must and does affect and cause everything else. We believe that the sun is in the sky at midday in summer not because we can clearly see the sun (in fact, we cannot) but because we can see everything else. While it is very hard to comprehend God, it is much more important and less difficult to realize that everything requires a first cause. We know God exists because we see everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    The credibility of God's existence does not really depend on whether we can see Him or not but will depend on the extent to which He must and does affect and cause everything else. We believe that the sun is in the sky at midday in summer not because we can clearly see the sun (in fact, we cannot) but because we can see everything else. While it is very hard to comprehend God, it is much more important and less difficult to realize that everything requires a first cause. We know God exists because we see everything else.
    So true. This is a good post.