Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: The Cave of the Apocalypse * On The Island of Patmos in Greece * Book of Revelation

  1. #1
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default The Cave of the Apocalypse * On The Island of Patmos in Greece * Book of Revelation

    Exclusive video from the island of Patmos.
    Watch the cave where St John Evangelist had his visions of the Apocalypse and where the deacon Prohoros wrote them down in the New Testament book of Revelation.






  2. #2
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Another Video:




  3. #3
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default


  4. #4
    Senior Member MichaellS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Notre Dame, IN
    Posts
    422

    Default

    .
    I should feel like asking questions over these which are super interesting and in a strange way seem like home. But, I prefer to mix it with faith on what the Apostle would have preferred.

    Not that he would have preferred it to be all that different, the way they (we) celebrate the man and his humble surroundings, but more so that God provided him a place and we remember that provision and God choosing him to do a work by the “Spirit” (Rev 1:10).

    You know what would complement this whole post, would be a timetable on the p***ages of the succession of information, I suppose through the hands layman and clergy.

    Nice post.

    Mike.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaellS View Post
    .
    I should feel like asking questions over these which are super interesting and in a strange way seem like home. But, I prefer to mix it with faith on what the Apostle would have preferred.

    Not that he would have preferred it to be all that different, the way they (we) celebrate the man and his humble surroundings, but more so that God provided him a place and we remember that provision and God choosing him to do a work by the “Spirit” (Rev 1:10).

    You know what would complement this whole post, would be a timetable on the p***ages of the succession of information, I suppose through the hands layman and clergy.

    Nice post.

    Mike.



    From this site : http://www.britannica.com/biography/...hn-the-Apostle



    Saint John the Apostle, also called Saint John the Evangelist or Saint John the Divine (flourished 1st century ce) in Christian tradition, the author of three letters, the Fourth Gospel, and the Revelation to John in the New Testament. He played a leading role in the early church at Jerusalem.

    John was the son of Zebedee, a Galilean fisherman, and Salome. John and his brother James were among the first disciples called by Jesus. In the Gospel According to Mark he is always mentioned after James and was no doubt the younger brother. His mother was among those women who ministered to the circle of disciples. James and John were called by Jesus “Boanerges,” or “sons of thunder,” perhaps because of some character trait such as the zeal exemplified in Mark 9:38 and Luke 9:54, when John and James wanted to call down fire from heaven to punish the Samaritan towns that did not accept Jesus. John and his brother, together with Simon Peter, formed an inner nucleus of intimate disciples. In the Fourth Gospel, ascribed by early tradition to John, the sons of Zebedee are mentioned only once, as being at the shores of the Sea of Tiberias when the risen Lord appeared; whether the “disciple whom Jesus loved” (who is never named) mentioned in this Gospel is to be identified with John (also not named) is not clear from the text.

    John the Evangelist, Saint [Credit: Photograph by Katie Chao. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, The Cloisters Collection, 1977 (1977.421)]John’s authoritative position in the church after the Resurrection is shown by his visit with Peter to Samaria to lay hands on the new converts there. It is to Peter, James (not the brother of John but “the brother of Jesus”), and John that Paul successfully submitted his Gospel for recognition. What position John held in the controversy concerning the admission of the Gentiles to the church is not known; the evidence is insufficient for a theory that the Johannine school was anti-Pauline—i.e., opposed to granting Gentiles membership in the church.

    John’s subsequent history is obscure and p***es into the uncertain mists of legend. At the end of the 2nd century, Polycrates, bishop of Ephesus, claims that John’s tomb is at Ephesus, identifies him with the beloved disciple, and adds that he “was a priest, wearing the sacerdotal plate, both martyr and teacher.” That John died in Ephesus is also stated by Irenaeus, bishop of Lyon c. 180 ce, who says John wrote his Gospel and letters at Ephesus and Revelation at Patmos. During the 3rd century two rival sites at Ephesus claimed the honour of being the apostle’s grave. One eventually achieved official recognition, becoming a shrine in the 4th century. In the 6th century the healing power of dust from John’s tomb was famous (it is mentioned by the Frankish historian Gregory of Tours); at this time also, the church of Ephesus claimed to possess the autograph of the Fourth Gospel.

    Legend was also active in the West, being especially stimulated by the p***age in Mark 10:39, with its hints of John’s martyrdom. Tertullian, the 2nd-century North African theologian, reports that John was plunged into boiling oil from which he miraculously escaped unscathed. During the 7th century this scene was portrayed in the Lateran basilica and located in Rome by the Latin Gate; it is still annually commemorated on May 6. John’s feast day otherwise is December 27. This belief that John did not die is based on an early tradition. In the original form of the apocryphal Acts of John (second half of the 2nd century) the apostle dies, but in later traditions he is ***umed to have ascended to heaven like Enoch and Elijah. A popular tradition known to Augustine declared that the earth over his grave heaved as if the apostle were still breathing.

    Revelation to John: John writing the book of Revelation [Credit: Städel Museum, Frankfurt am Main, Germany]The legends that contributed most to medieval iconography are mainly derived from the apocryphal Acts of John. These Acts are also the source of the notion that John became a disciple as a very young man. Iconographically, the young, beardless type is early (as in a 4th-century sarcophagus from Rome), and this type came to be preferred (though not exclusively) in the medieval West. In the Byzantine world the evangelist is portrayed as old, with long, white beard and hair, usually carrying his Gospel. His symbol as an evangelist is an eagle. Because of the inspired visions of the book of Revelation, the Byzantine churches en***led him “the Theologian”; the ***le appears in Byzantine m****cripts of Revelation but not in m****cripts of the Gospel.






    *More info : http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...hn_the_Apostle

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    what real evidence do you have that John got his vision while he was in a cave and that he actually lived in a cave?

    legends are not fact nor evidence.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  7. #7
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    legends are not fact nor evidence.


    John specifically wrote about people who don't believe.

    But the cowardly, Unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

  8. #8
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    what real evidence do you have that John got his vision while he was in a cave and that he actually lived in a cave?

    legends are not fact nor evidence.
    Very true.

    I have not seen any real proof that a cave was involved...

    I know that john was old...very,very old....and so I would guess that a cave would not really be where you would expect the people around John and watching out for him would put him to make sure he was doing ok...

    The only real clue I see is that the day the revelation started was said to be the "lord's Day....I take to to be talking about the day he would worship with others?...if that is so...then about the last place he would be is alone....in a cave.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Very true.

    I have not seen any real proof that a cave was involved...

    I know that john was old...very,very old....and so I would guess that a cave would not really be where you would expect the people around John and watching out for him would put him to make sure he was doing ok...

    The only real clue I see is that the day the revelation started was said to be the "lord's Day....I take to to be talking about the day he would worship with others?...if that is so...then about the last place he would be is alone....in a cave.



    You seem to have more in common and be more in agreement with unbelievers than you do with True Christians.

  10. #10
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    You seem to have more in common and be more in agreement with unbelievers than you do with True Christians.
    If you have anything else to add to this topic ? or ask a question about stuff?...., feel free....

    But I really don't care a rip about that type of personal ****.

  11. #11
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    If you have anything else to add to this topic ? or ask a question about stuff?...., feel free....

    But I really don't care a rip about that type of personal ****.



    I'm saying this because you are teaming up with and agreeing with DrDavidT who has done nothing but criticize and disagree with every thread I've posted.

    Here I am trying to help and encourage the faith of believers to show them Biblical Archeology and Christian History and then DrDavidT comes along and wants to destroy their faith. Not only that, but then you chime in and are "Supposedly" on the Christians side, but you are agreeing with DrDavidT instead.

  12. #12
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    I'm saying this because you are teaming up with and agreeing with DrDavidT.....
    Im on a team now?
    When did that happen?..

    Dr David simply pointed out that we don't have any real proof in the bible that John received his vision while in a cave....and David is right about that as far as i can see...


    It's sorta like that story in the Bible of Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus....many people in the church ***ume that he fell off his horse...but that's not really in the Bible....


    I think it's good that from time to time we point out what is and is not supported by the text.
    I have no problem with people talking about a "legend"...I have no problem with people saying that there is a lot of other stories in the church that support the legend....I have no issues if you want to believe the same legend...

    But it is always good for everyone to remember that it is a "legend and is not found in the text of the Bible>

    Therefore all the Christians in our Christian church have every right to disagree with the legend and to reject it if they wish...and should be allowed to without calling into questiontheir faith.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    John specifically wrote about people who don't believe.

    But the cowardly, Unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
    you are fast to falsely accuse people of not believing. You need to watch yourself.

    You seem to have more in common and be more in agreement with unbelievers than you do with True Christians.
    again you are not qualified to say such things.

    I have not seen any real proof that a cave was involved...
    no cave was invivled that anyone knows about. it is a myth and a legend to generate tourism.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    I'm saying this because you are teaming up with and agreeing with DrDavidT who has done nothing but criticize and disagree with every thread I've posted.

    That is because you do not know what you are talking about.

    Here I am trying to help and encourage the faith of believers to show them Biblical Archeology and Christian History and then DrDavidT comes along and wants to destroy their faith. Not only that, but then you chime in and are "Supposedly" on the Christians side, but you are agreeing with DrDavidT instead.
    You are not encouraging them but misleading them but your ignorance and failure to double check the information you are claiming to be 'proof' of some biblical location.

    You also have a problem with taking criticism or being shown that you are over-stepping the boundaries when it comes to biblical archaeology and God's rules.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    I have decided to report Jude for his slander, malicious attacks and personal attacks without any real evidence other than the fact I have shown him to be in error. Jude is misguided and does not know what he is talking about and needs to get under some credible instructor to guide him correctly in how to deal with others.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  16. #16
    Senior Member disciple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    That is because you do not know what you are talking about.



    You are not encouraging them but misleading them but your ignorance and failure to double check the information you are claiming to be 'proof' of some biblical location.

    You also have a problem with taking criticism or being shown that you are over-stepping the boundaries when it comes to biblical archaeology and God's rules.
    Hello DrDavidT,
    Just wondering what your credentials are, since your above ***ertions show that you think you have some authority over what Jude 1:3 posts.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    my credentials are extensive but if you think his slander is called for I won't be revealing what they are
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  18. #18
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    this topic is dragging on....

    perhaps someone might bring up a Bible concept....?
    The OP is about the book of Rev....thats a rich area for conversation Im sure'....

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    i have problems with this website for some reason. It does weird things when I try to post
    Last edited by DrDavidT; 07-30-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: dupicate post
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    my credentials are extensive but if you think his slander is called for I won't be revealing what they are
    People need to stop jumping on bandwagons just because someone claims to be a believer and is 'strengthening the faith' of others. You cannot be strengthening the faith of anyone if the person bringing the information a). does not know what they are talking about; b). refuses to listen to those who do.

    Providing erroneous information, especially without diligent research that seeks the truth not a good feeling, is not strengthening the faith of anyone but setting them up for a fall and injury.

    As for my credentials I generally do not provide them as I am not looking for attention or to take attention away from God. He provided me with a very extensive education which includes graduate degrees in archaeology, history and theology. Along with pastoring a church I have written 4 books one on archaeology and the unwary believer and two on a variety of subjects including Einstein's fatal error in his theory of relativity, Hubble's error in his expanding universe theory, Augustine's words to topics that the church faces each day.

    Then I publish a Christian magazine along with operating two websites which deal with archaeology and other topics an dhow they relate to the church and the Christian life. I have had numerous articles published in 4 different countries whose subjects range in topics and issues. I have also sat through hundreds of hours of lectures done by archaeologists, biblical scholars and scientists both secular and christian.

    Now if anyone wants to disagree with me, they better have real evidence supporting their argument instead of falsely accusing someone of being an unbeliever merely because the accused disagrees with the other person. Jude is failing the people he communicates to because he is not doing his christian duty correctly.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  21. #21
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    i have problems with this website for some reason. It does weird things when I try to post
    From personal experience, I always "copy" everything just before I try to post a comment onto this forum.
    Sometimes its hard to remember to do that, but you get burned enough times and you start to get into the practice.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    From personal experience, I always "copy" everything just before I try to post a comment onto this forum.
    Sometimes its hard to remember to do that, but you get burned enough times and you start to get into the practice.
    It is not just that, I get error messages telling me to wait 30 seconds and I have 12 seconds left in that time frame yet I hadn't posted in 3 minutes o rmore when those occur; I get double posts, leave page messages and so on.
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  23. #23
    alanmolstad
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    It is not just that, I get error messages telling me to wait 30 seconds and I have 12 seconds left in that time frame yet I hadn't posted in 3 minutes o rmore when those occur; I get double posts, leave page messages and so on.
    well.......that same thing happens to us all too.

    It can be very frustrating to be sure.

    you will get used to it...or not...

    all I can say from experience isthat the way this website seems out to get you, is not personal...I know it may seem at times like you are being singled out to have your posts cleared for no reason, but that is just not so.

    No one is watching you write or post stuff...no one is stopping anyone from posting like that here...
    The only issues we all have in posting here have to deal with computer/server/website stuff that the owner of this forum is aware of...

    Thats about all I know....

    I have gotten used to this site not being 'user-friendly" as far as posting goes.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 07-30-2016 at 11:28 PM.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    From personal experience, I always "copy" everything just before I try to post a comment onto this forum.
    Sometimes its hard to remember to do that, but you get burned enough times and you start to get into the practice.
    It is not just that, I get error messages telling me to wait 30 seconds and I have 12 seconds left in that time frame yet I hadn't posted in 3 minutes o rmore when those occur; I get double posts, leave page messages and so on.

    case in point, the 30 second message just happened to this post
    magazine is still running, location as changed. contact us for the internet address

  25. #25
    Senior Member disciple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    my credentials are extensive but if you think his slander is called for I won't be revealing what they are
    Hello DrDavidT,
    Thanks for your reply. I guess the point is that this is a discussion forum, Jude can post whatever he feels is worth discussing and your disagreement with that content does not make him ignorant. Hey, Alan and I disagree all the time but there are no hard feelings. Being wrong doesn't make one ignorant but being unwilling to learn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •