In order to have the proper perspective of baptism with the Holy Spirit we need to know what a baptism is.

“Baptism; Religious rite of immersing in or sprinkling with water in sign of admission to Christian Church. Usually with name giving”. (Oxford Dictionary)

Unfortunately the English term, as indicated in the Oxford Dictionary definition, has taken on a religious implication, and detracts from the actual meaning. The scriptures were written in Greek and the Greek word has no religious connotation to it.

Baptisma {bap'-tis-mah}- Baptism 1) Immersion, submersion 1a) of calamities and afflictions with which one is quite overwhelmed)

Baptizo {bap-tid'-zo}1) To dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk) 2) To cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe 3) To overwhelm

The term has to be used as the Greek intended it or we are not being true to the definition. Baptism simply stated is immersion into an element.

If you look carefully at the following description of baptism you will notice that there is not any baptism for unbelievers. All that are baptized are believers (Christians) with the Holy Spirit indwelling them.

What is needed to carry out a baptism?

1. A candidate... One being baptized
2. An agent... One to do the baptizing
3. An element... In or with what the candidate is to be baptized.

To keep this simple; a baptism occurs when a candidate is immersed into an element by an agent.

The Bible speaks of several baptisms, but our focus will be only on the three baptisms that the Christian mostly hears about: baptism with water, baptism into Christ and baptism with the Holy Spirit.

The first baptism to be dealt with is water baptism. Water baptism is of this world, worldly and is but a shadow of the real baptisms that are spiritual in nature. This baptism is the only baptism that we can observe the element, agent and candidate with our physical sight. (A picture is worth a thousand words.) When we see this occurring then we can transpose the candidate, agent and element to the other baptisms and in effect look into the spiritual realm and observe baptism into Christ and baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Baptism With Water:

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Candidate... One being baptized.... Eunuch (Believer).
Agent... One to do the baptizing.... Philip
Element... In what the candidate is to be baptized.... Water.

Baptism into One Body (Christ):

I Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Candidate... One being baptized.... We (Believers).
Agent... One to do the baptizing.... Spirit
Element... In what the candidate is to be baptized.... One Body. (The body of Christ)

The Holy Spirit baptizes the believer into Christ or into his body at repentance and the new birth.

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Baptism With The Holy Spirit:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

Act 1:4-5, 8. Acts 1:4 And being ***embled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. 5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. 8 But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem and in all Judaea and in Samaria and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Candidate... One being baptized.... Them (Believers).
Agent... One to do the baptizing.... Jesus (he that cometh after me)
Element... In what the candidate is to be baptized.... Holy Ghost.