Thread: Smith and the "servant girl"

alanmolstad

Default Smith and the "servant girl"

Martin Harris in recalling a third incident from the early Kirtland period, said: "In or about the year 1833" Joseph's "servant girl" [a Miss. Hill] claimed that the prophet had made "improper proposals to her, which created quite a talk amongst the people."
    When Smith came to him for advice, Harris, supposing that there was nothing to the story, told him to "take no notice of the girl, that she was full of the devil, and wanted to destroy the prophet of God."
    But, according to Harris, Smith "acknowledged that there was more truth than poetry in what the girl said." Harris then said that "he would have nothing to do in the matter," and that Smith would have to "get out of the matter the best way he knew how."[24]

William E. McLellin, a former Mormon Apostle, relates the details of this incident, including how Joseph resolved "the matter" with Emma. Writing to their oldest son, Joseph Smith III in 1861, McLellin said: "Your Mother (if she feels disposed) can give you a rather black catalogue [of events] reaching back as far as your birth" [1832].[25] In an 1872 letter, McLellin began with the Miss Hill incident:

I visited your Mother and family in 1847 [August 28], and held a lengthy conversation with her, retired in the Mansion house in Nauvoo. I did not ask her to tell, but I told her some stories I had heard. And she told me whether I was properly informed. Dr. F[rederick] G. Williams [a member of the First Presidency of the Church during the Miss Hill incident] practiced [medicine] with me in Clay Co. Mo. during the latter part of 1838. And he told me that at your birth [November 6, 1832] your father committed an act with a Miss Hill-a hired girl. Emma saw him, and spoke to him. He desisted, but Mrs. Smith refused to be satisfied. He called in Dr. Williams. [and others] to reconcile Emma. But she told them just as the circumstances took place. He found he was caught. He confessed humbly, and begged forgiveness. Emma and all forgave him. She told me this story was true!

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Martin Harris in recalling a third incident from the early Kirtland period, said: "In or about the year 1833" Joseph's "servant girl" [a Miss. Hill] claimed that the prophet had made "improper proposals to her, which created quite a talk amongst the people."
    When Smith came to him for advice, Harris, supposing that there was nothing to the story, told him to "take no notice of the girl, that she was full of the devil, and wanted to destroy the prophet of God."
    But, according to Harris, Smith "acknowledged that there was more truth than poetry in what the girl said." Harris then said that "he would have nothing to do in the matter," and that Smith would have to "get out of the matter the best way he knew how."[24]

William E. McLellin, a former Mormon Apostle, relates the details of this incident, including how Joseph resolved "the matter" with Emma. Writing to their oldest son, Joseph Smith III in 1861, McLellin said: "Your Mother (if she feels disposed) can give you a rather black catalogue [of events] reaching back as far as your birth" [1832].[25] In an 1872 letter, McLellin began with the Miss Hill incident:

I visited your Mother and family in 1847 [August 28], and held a lengthy conversation with her, retired in the Mansion house in Nauvoo. I did not ask her to tell, but I told her some stories I had heard. And she told me whether I was properly informed. Dr. F[rederick] G. Williams [a member of the First Presidency of the Church during the Miss Hill incident] practiced [medicine] with me in Clay Co. Mo. during the latter part of 1838. And he told me that at your birth [November 6, 1832] your father committed an act with a Miss Hill-a hired girl. Emma saw him, and spoke to him. He desisted, but Mrs. Smith refused to be satisfied. He called in Dr. Williams. [and others] to reconcile Emma. But she told them just as the circumstances took place. He found he was caught. He confessed humbly, and begged forgiveness. Emma and all forgave him. She told me this story was true!
    LOL.... Still Googling (sex + Joseph Smith) I see.
    You really need to get a life and overcome this online sex surfing obsession of yours.