Smith had his own highly questionable methods of getting females to say yes to his proposals from 1841-1844.
Claiming to possess the religious "keys" to "bind" or "loose" on earth and in heaven is a power that seems to have made him feel increasingly invincible before God.
In January 1842, he told seventeen year old Martha Brotherton after she hesitated to accept Brigham Young's offer of being his plural wife: "Just go ahead, and do as Brigham wants.. I know this is lawful and right before God.. I have the keys of the kingdom, and whatever I bind on earth is bound in heaven, and whatever I loose on earth is loosed in heaven."

Martha not only declined the offer, but published her story in the July 15, 1842 St. Louis Bulletin.

Claiming heavenly sealing keys to "bind and loose" gave Smith tremendous power over church members.

He used it as an inducement to persuade at least three and probably four young females to accept his proposals between mid-July 1842 and mid-May 1843.

Sarah Ann Whitney,
Helen Mar Kimball,
Lucy Walker
and perhaps Flora Woodwortth-(all between the ages of fourteen and seventeen) were persuaded by this approach.

Newel K. Whitney, Sarah Ann's father was promised by Smith to receive "eternal life to all your house, both old and young," by having Sarah Ann marry him.

He told Helen Mar Kimball in front of her father, Heber C. Kimball, that: "If you will take this step, it will ensure your eternal salvation & exaltation and that of your father's household & all of your kindred."

Helen Mar felt pressure to do this even though she didn't want to because "the salvation of our whole family depended on it."

Lucy Walker, like the other two girls was told by Smith that by marrying him, "that it would prove an everlasting blessing to my father's house."

But after several hesitations, Lucy was informed of the other side of Smith's sealing power. He told her that rejecting his offer would bring eternal ****ation. Of his marriage proposal to her, Smith said: "It is a command of God to you .. If you reject this message the gate will be closed forever against you."

Flora Ann Woodworth may have also been persuaded by her parents Lucien and Phebe Woodworth, "to marry [Smith] to secure her family's salvation."