Thread: Abortions at Nauvoo (How handy to have a friend who was a Doctor)

alanmolstad

Default Abortions at Nauvoo (How handy to have a friend who was a Doctor)

" Hyrum Smith also documented Nauvoo abortions, and interestingly enough, blamed it on a doctor and close ***ociate of Joseph Smith.

Hyrum testified that Dr. Bennett was propositioning women in a similar fashion to Joseph Smith.

"[Dr. Bennett] endeavored to seduce them, and accomplished his designs by saying it was right; that it was one of the mysteries of God, which was to be revealed when the people was strong enough in faith to bear such mysteries–that it was perfectly right to have illicit intercourse with females, providing no one knew it but themselves, vehemently trying them from day to day, to yield to his p***ions, bringing witnesses of his own clan to testify that there were such revelations and such commandments, and that they were of God; also stating that he would be responsible for their sins, if there were any, and that he would give them medicine to produce abortions, provided they should become pregnant."
    - Affidavit of Hyrum Smith. Official History of the Church, Vol. 5, p.7 "

http://mormoncurtain.com/topic_josephsmithpolygamy.html

MickeyS

Nowhere does anything say Joseph Smith was involved in any of these activities. This conclusion you're drawing here is truly desperate.

But do you know what's REALLY hilarious about this? You just destroyed the credibility of one of your "reliable" sources. All that stuff you posted about Sarah Pratt being propositioned by Joseph CAME from Dr Bennett (who she actually WAS having an affair with) So thank you for pointing out and verifying how full of **** Bennett is and proving what an unreliable source his "accounts" are. That's seriously awesome lol

These kinds of sources are where you're getting all your "history".

But let's look at the affidavit...nothing Hyrum Smith said linked Joseph Smith to any of that behavior. The part that states that Hyrum testified that Dr Bennett was propositioning women IN A SIMILAR FASHION TO JOSEPH SMITH is a lie. I can say that...it's a quote from an outside source. The affidavit says nothing about Joseph Smith EVER propositioning women, so there is no "in a similar fashion to Joseph Smith". Joseph Smith was unaware of Dr Bennetts true colors at first, but when things became known, that was rectified. People like Bennett are where all your lurid Penthouse Forum tales are coming from.

"Eventually, however, rumors began to swirl that Bennett was involved in widespread sexual immorality. Eventually he was caught having secret sexual relationships with women in the city. He told the women that the practice, which he called “spiritual wifery,” was sanctioned of God and Joseph Smith, that these women were now his wives, and that Joseph did the same.

When discovered, he privately confessed his crimes, and produced an affidavit that Joseph Smith had no part in his adultery. Although he vowed to change, he was caught again. His indiscretions were publicly exposed and he was excommunicated from the Church and stripped of public office."

So Bennett used Joseph's name and LIED to women about Joseph Smiths involvement. If Joseph actually sanctioned what Bennett was doing, why was he excommunicated for doing it? You just confirmed the man is a liar, a perv, and a scoundrel. Again, I thank you, I've actually tried to tell you that before but you ignored me. You also confirmed that the polygamy was not about sex...again, if it was, Bennett would never have been excommunicated for doing exactly what YOU say Joseph Smith was doing. You just provided proof against your own source.

So the real question is...how can you present "historical accounts" by a known liar as FACT, and stand by it?? You have just effectively demolished everything you've posted from outside sources regarding Joseph Smith, since you don't even vet those sources.

Again...I love it

teenapenny

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
    Nowhere does anything say Joseph Smith was involved in any of these activities. This conclusion you're drawing here is truly desperate.

But do you know what's REALLY hilarious about this? You just destroyed the credibility of one of your "reliable" sources. All that stuff you posted about Sarah Pratt being propositioned by Joseph CAME from Dr Bennett (who she actually WAS having an affair with) So thank you for pointing out and verifying how full of **** Bennett is and proving what an unreliable source his "accounts" are. That's seriously awesome lol

But let's look at the affidavit...nothing Hyrum Smith said linked Joseph Smith to any of that behavior. The part that states that Hyrum testified that Dr Bennett was propositioning women IN A SIMILAR FASHION TO JOSEPH SMITH is a lie. I can say that...it's a quote from an outside source. The affidavit says nothing about Joseph Smith EVER propositioning women, so there is no "in a similar fashion to Joseph Smith". Joseph Smith was unaware of Dr Bennetts true colors at first, but when things became known, that was rectified. People like Bennett are where all your lurid Penthouse Forum tales are coming from.

"Eventually, however, rumors began to swirl that Bennett was involved in widespread sexual immorality. Eventually he was caught having secret sexual relationships with women in the city. He told the women that the practice, which he called “spiritual wifery,” was sanctioned of God and Joseph Smith, that these women were now his wives, and that Joseph did the same.

When discovered, he privately confessed his crimes, and produced an affidavit that Joseph Smith had no part in his adultery. Although he vowed to change, he was caught again. His indiscretions were publicly exposed and he was excommunicated from the Church and stripped of public office."

So Bennett used Joseph's name and LIED to women about Joseph Smiths involvement. If Joseph actually sanctioned what Bennett was doing, why was he excommunicated for doing it? You just confirmed the man is a liar, a perv, and a scoundrel. Again, I thank you, I've actually tried to tell you that before but you ignored me. You also confirmed that the polygamy was not about sex...again, if it was, Bennett would never have been excommunicated for doing exactly what YOU say Joseph Smith was doing. You just provided proof against your own source.

So the real question is...how can you present "historical accounts" by a known liar as FACT, and stand by it?? You have just effectively demolished everything you've posted from outside sources regarding Joseph Smith, since you don't even vet those sources.

Again...I love it
    He was no more a liar than Joseph Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post

Again...I love it
    Thanks for pointing out the flaws in anti-LDS attacks, Mickey. It does get noticed.

MickeyS

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the flaws in anti-LDS attacks, Mickey. It does get noticed.
    I appreciate that, I truly do