Thread: Mormon church pushes back on planet misconceptions

Libby

Default Mormon church pushes back on planet misconceptions

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28869525&nid=

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The Mormon Church is pushing back against the notion that members of the faith are taught they'll get their own planet in the afterlife, a misconception popularized in pop culture most recently by the Broadway show "The Book of Mormon."

A newly posted article affirms the faith's belief that humans can become like God in eternity, but says the "cartoonish image of people receiving their own planets" is not how members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints envision it.

"While few Latter-day Saints would identify with caricatures of having their own planet, most would agree that the awe inspired by creation hints at our creative potential in the eternities," the article says.

The expectation of exaltation is more figurative and ambiguous than boiling it down to living on one planet, it says.

"Church members imagine exaltation less through images of what they will get and more through the relationships they have now and how those relationships might be purified and elevated," the article says.

alanmolstad

when I read that link, Im struck by the length they go to to sidestep around what the real answer is....

They seem to want us to not see the part where they don't reject the idea...and that they openly admit that there are Mormons that do in fact believe that they will rule on a different world, and will have real sex with many wives to make spirit babies to send to a different type of earth...

So it seems that deep down, all the claims of the "cartoon" are correct......just embarr***ing to Mormons....

So the question now is, Will anti-Mormons stop claiming that our church teaches us that we'll get our own planet, now that they know it doesn't?

I think we all know the answer is, Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by Erundur View Post
    So the question now is, Will anti-Mormons stop claiming that our church teaches us that we'll get our own planet, now that they know it doesn't?
    Maybe they are afraid that if they don't sensationalize another group's teachings in the most salacious or inflammatory, bigoted way, they won't get the attention they crave.

Libby

Well, the article doesn't really deny the thing about getting one's own planet (although, I do concede that is not exactly taught in the church)...what they are saying is, it's not an emphasis. The actual teachings are on relationships, not "the place" where those relationships will unfold in the eternities.

Libby

Critics do tend to over-simplify most of the teachings....but there are core issues with the theology that make it all very problematic for most Christians. Things that are NOT over-simplified, like becoming gods, and just the whole of idea of many gods, rather than One God.

RealFakeHair

Speak for yourself, I want my own Planet, I will even give it a better name then the one Joseph Smith jr. came up with (Kolob). That sounds so foney, well it is of course, but you folks believe such BS anyways.
    I will name my planet. Planet Real Fake Hair, ah, after me of course.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Well, the article doesn't really deny the thing about getting one's own planet.
    Thats the first thing I noticed too.....

they do not outlaw the idea at all, as some Mormons would have us think...

rather they skip quickly around the idea-and hope we didnt notice how they clearly left the door open and allowed Mormon people to think that they will one day have their own world where they will have endless sex with many different skirts.........

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post

rather they skip quickly around the idea-and hope we didnt notice how they clearly left the door open and allowed Mormon people to think that they will one day have their own world where they will have endless sex with many different skirts.........
    If I see you again accuse the LDS of wanting, more than anything else, to have endless sex with skirts--whatever retarded point such gibberish is supposed to mean--my once-favorable opinion of you will hit bottom, and I will probably put you on ignore. Surely even you can be more mature than the garbage we have been seeing from you lately, since other anti-LDS with less brains than you have been able to avoid going into that gutter.

alanmolstad

the whole Mormon Temple stuff is all based on Smith's ideas and means to have endless sex with strange skirts...both in this life and in the next.....

RealFakeHair

the whole Mormon Temple stuff is all based on Smith's ideas and means to have endless sex with strange skirts...both in this life and in the next.....
    Not a bad idea until I found out all the TBMs here went to the temple and conspired to have me sealed to Helen Thomas, Bella Abzug and Moms Mabley!

Well, the article doesn't really deny the thing about getting one's own planet
    Right...describing it as "cartoonish" and a "caricature" aren't denying it...

Libby

I misread something in that article. I thought it said, most LDS "would" identify with getting one's own planet, when it actually said "wouldn't". I thought that was kind of odd.

Anyway, I am about to resign from my short stint as a renewed "anti-Mormon". I really hate this. I have problems with the church, but I just don't see this road as helping anyone...and it makes me feel terrible. Something that makes you feel this bad cannot be good.

alanmolstad

Right...describing it as "cartoonish" and a "caricature" aren't denying it...
    the words "cartoonish" and "caricature" are seen as personal opinions about the "style" that historical facts are presented in...but is not actually a denial of said facts....

I misread something in that article. I thought it said, most LDS "would" identify with getting one's own planet, when it actually said "wouldn't". I thought that was kind of odd.

Anyway, I am about to resign from my short stint as a renewed "anti-Mormon". I really hate this. I have problems with the church, but I just don't see this road as helping anyone...and it makes me feel terrible. Something that makes you feel this bad cannot be good.
    God bless you, Libby. You have enough of a conscience to feel terrible when you see a certain type of anti-LDS rhetoric rearing its ugly, bigoted head. I'd wager you'd feel that same way if you saw anti-Semites mocking the Jews and their beliefs, because you know it's wrong, it's not Godly, and it's so immature that it borders on indecent. I just wanted to tell you that I respect your good judgment in this regard.

RealFakeHair

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    God bless you, Libby. You have enough of a conscience to feel terrible when you see a certain type of anti-LDS rhetoric rearing its ugly, bigoted head. I'd wager you'd feel that same way if you saw anti-Semites mocking the Jews and their beliefs, because you know it's wrong, it's not Godly, and it's so immature that it borders on indecent. I just wanted to tell you that I respect your good judgment in this regard.
    I say mormon god bless you too.
    Bigoted head? Have you read the Book of Mormon? The book it the poster child for Bigotry and racism! Go back and have another cup of coffee, and try again, want you?

That's okay; I've done that before, too.

when I read that link, Im struck by the length they go to to sidestep around what the real answer is....

They seem to want us to not see the part where they don't reject the idea...and that they openly admit that there are Mormons that do in fact believe that they will rule on a different world, and will have real sex with many wives to make spirit babies to send to a different type of earth...

So it seems that deep down, all the claims of the "cartoon" are correct......just embarr***ing to Mormons....
    No... I don't remember ever hearing about such things in Church.
    I've only ever heard it as a talking point of AntiMormons.
    However, it doesn't really matter, I have always responded to anyone who says that we will get a planet to rule, by pointing out at they simply lack imagination and are therefore short changing themselves.

The scriptures are clear that whatever you can imagine Heaven to be like, the reality will be far, far, beyond that.

1 Cor. 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him.

alanmolstad

were-reading this topic and found myself in total agreement with what I wrote on it so long ago.

I find this same twisting of the truth by the Mormon church to carry-over into other topics that they will not admit they hold, but just don't want people to know about because they don't want to be made fun of...