I would be surprised to learn many haven’t wondered over the thought of relationship of choice from nature or spirit, , further surprised to learn they weren’t aware of the effort involved.

"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:24)

In Biblical times or in current times, the desires of flesh and the desires for the Spirit are as we know wide-open and nearly effortless to the one and not the other. That is, till His power to help administers His guard. To wage a successful spiritual warfare in this life must at least begin with recognizing the desires of the flesh loves the de-spiritualizing effects of life. That may mean Church or otherwise which are not always flatly promoting itself false on its face.

But let me continue if I may to the root as this goes beyond the liberty we enjoy in Christ in all its confines. For if that liberty refuses to defend its safe harbor of spiritual discretion, then what prevents it from becoming an accomplice to carnality, nothing if the mind has not been directed properly thereby fulfilling Matt13:21, Mk4:17’s hearing-receiving-rejoicing the truth of the word but refuses to follow the call to endure “affliction or persecution”? We are brought clear back to the beginning.

I understand one of two things here with those who fail to appear for Him on this; we either convince ourselves into permissiveness or decidedly incapable to concern ourselves with this area of attention, or we conceal that we are too weak to say.

“17. affliction] The word thus translated denotes (i) pressure, that which presses upon or burdens the spirit” - Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
If all such concerns of mine here are agreed upon (without lure), then I must ***ist the weak for the keeping of the “must worship in Spirit and truth” clean of vanity since the silence on this subject remains at a serious level. Something mature Christian dialog has shown to be less than thriving. Those who have long anticipated John 4:24 as an automatic spiritual feature relinquishes ownership when they swing wide of “must” and ***ume the accomplice’s role. For as the word tells us, to resist being the carnal accomplice takes effort.

"And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full ***urance of hope until the end, so that you will not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” (Heb 6:11,12)

As I hope you would for me, like a lot of things needing our attention they are most always very important. How about the things of God, are they not vastly more important? When we hear the truth in the word and begin to build with a captive ***urance that it is furthering dialog over the church, I believe the message needs to be articulated with diligence, but with a certain amount of attractiveness as well is essential, she deserves no less. Where else are we to look for those things but His word? With that, the attractiveness is low but silence to confirm or object is still weak. Shouldn’t we all strive equally?

"And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence.” (Heb 6:11)

For the weak here, doesn’t appear to be a resistance to the things of God, but I am sure struggles to deal with some profound problems, and not just life’s problems. I too struggle with this; the mind, will and following of the flesh, or, the leading of the Holy Spirit of God who also is willing to lead us, lead us to life.

“For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace” (Romans 8:6)

“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please” (Gal 5:16,17)

If it is true what the Lord said concerning this variable, that the “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Matt 26:41), then V16 still has a variable for us to choose His strength or not. Why is it we so often omit our ally so as not to upset the concerns of the flesh in ***uming when it appears as a defense against “must”, and no other reasoning? Again, for the weak – none.

But does it really stop and start there? Is all else hands-off that may interfere with cleaving to select direction as our ‘gentler’ guidance (or my concern, to prepare oneself from a subs***ute)? For what prepares one for the incedentals that come along, sometimes, in large amounts? I am to decipher from a more concluding choice that would prevail. I pray it is spiritual, for it is an uphill battle we “must” (Jn 4:24) engage with Him to victory.

Mike.