Thread: John Piper and the Prosperity Gospel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default John Piper and the Prosperity Gospel

Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    No sir, prosperity is not the gospel, prosperity is the result of the gospel. Worldly prosperity is from God you recall, on the “just and unjust”.

Remember, the Apostles gave us admonitions to care for both sides of this coin.

"They only asked us to remember the poor-- the very thing I also was eager to do." (Galatians 2:10)

"Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." (III John 1:2)

Then again one step further, are we going to set our foot to bashing rather than our heart to trusting?

“Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.” (I Timothy 6:17-19)

Tearing down prosperous Christian people is introducing the possibility of sanitized envy. Funny thing is, those who have set out to send the message of contentment are themselves discontented with people’s economic disparities. Is it really that difficult?

edit: second attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaellS View Post
    No sir, prosperity is not the gospel, prosperity is the result of the gospel. Worldly prosperity is from God you recall, on the “just and unjust”.

Remember, the Apostles gave us admonitions to care for both sides of this coin.

"They only asked us to remember the poor-- the very thing I also was eager to do." (Galatians 2:10)

"Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." (III John 1:2)

Then again one step further, are we going to set our foot to bashing rather than our heart to trusting?

“Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.” (I Timothy 6:17-19)

Tearing down prosperous Christian people is introducing the possibility of sanitized envy. Funny thing is, those who have set out to send the message of contentment are themselves discontented with people’s economic disparities. Is it really that difficult?

edit: second attempt.

Good Post.

I think it has more to do mostly with the heretical guys on tv that are obviousley trying to use their platform to acquire wealth and have old gramma's send them all their money. Everything is about money.

alanmolstad

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.....

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.....

That's True.