Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trinity Question

James Banta

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    For the sake of the lone stragglers who come to this occasionally visited board...

The Trinity Doctrine is gleaned from scripture. All of it. And it is not hard to understand. Once we do the math properly. My repeated example is the math we do when we consider another trinity (a family of three).

One family, three individuals who are the one family. Each is equally and 100% family. The only difference is when we refer to the family specifically we are comfortable with calling the family and it. With God we are not so comfortable calling God it so we call God he or him or his.

Each individual is a living intelligent person. I am not saying we should call them it. But like a family, the personhood is in the members therein not in the family unit itself. Part of what screws up people's ability to grasp the triune nature of the one God is the compound unity which can only mean that the personhood is of the individuals within the unity of the Godhead not the unity (Godhead) itself.

"I am family..." One family member speaking as a member or as the representative of the family itself...
    The Trinity is much closer than a mere family.. God is not three being but one Being in three Persons.. God showed me this explanation and it serves me well.. I hope it help you as well..

The God created the Universe as space. Like all His other creations it reflects Him..
    Space in the unity of three dimensions.. Height, Width, and Breadth.. Each one is infinite in it's nature. Being infinite Height contains all space.. Width , and Breadth also being infinite each contain every point that can exist.. Yet these three dimensions unit together into space..

Ok, God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each is infinite and therefore are the fullness of God. The Father is God all the God there is or ever can be. The Son and the Holy Spirit are individually God. Each all the God there is or ever can be. But these three Persons are the one true God.. Can you see the truth in this? When I was a new Christian The Holy Spirit gave me this explanation and it has served my infinite mind well in it's attempt to understand the Infinite.. IHS jim

johnd

Um, yeah... if you search back far enough you will probably find where I used this same example to explain how three distinct omnipresent individuals can occupy the same space, universe, eternity at the same time or instant... the three spatial dimensions... which btw, if there is only one lacking, space cannot exist.

I do not impose that final point on the Godhead because of the absurdity of it. Nothing would exist without God.

1 Corinthians 15:10a (KJV)
    10 But by the grace of God I am what I am...

By the existence of God... anything is what it is or anyone is what they are...
    Interesting understanding of the I AM THAT I AM statement, eh?

My family metaphor was only to point out the compound unity of the unity (oneness) of God.

One thing I would ask of you, Banta, and I am sincerely asking because I don't know... is there a scripture that says God is one being?

johnd

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckypreacher View Post
    John D has done an excellent *** in responding to this query.

If I may add something: the bottom line is the Bible forces us to the conclusion that there is one God Who exists as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God, and they three are distinct, yet there is but one God.

Does this help any?

Thanks JohnD
    Thank you, Kaintuck... sorry I overlooked your post for so long.

Whereabouts you from?

Lived in Ft. Thomas, a while, Lexington a while, and Georgetown a while growing up. Dad was a bit of a wandering Gentile. My family is not far from Ashland / South Point / Huntington.

In fact, at age 5, I was saved at the Church kindergarten in Lexington (Beacon hill area). Just looked it up. Gardenside Christian Church. Miss Maggard was the kindergarten teacher 1966. A younger brother was born in Ft. T. Wow, now that I think of it, I have a bigger connection to the Boonesboro state than I thought.

johnd

Default Just found this obituary on my Kindergarten teacher. Wow.

Ruby Maggard, a dedicated Christian educator, died on February 4, 2010 after a long illness. She was born in Lothair, Kentucky (Perry County) on December 5, 1926. Family, friends, medical staff, and Hospice professionals ministered to her in a comp***ionate manner.
    Miss Maggard became a Christian at a young age and served the Lord faithfully throughout her life. After graduating from Eastern Kentucky University and pursuing graduate studies at Cincinnati Christian University, she taught at Mountain Mission School, a home for seriously disadvantaged Appalachian youth located in Grundy, Virginia.

While teaching in Virginia, Ruby was introduced to the Sunset Beach Christian School in Haleiwa, Hawaii. After learning of the great need for Christ-centered education in Hawaii, she moved to the islands and served as a missionary teacher. Ruby continued her educational ministry by responding to an invitation to join the student life staff at Kentucky Christian University, Grayson, Kentucky. While serving at Kentucky Christian University, she also helped churches in the region develop Kindergarten programs and provided leadership for many different Vacation Bible School programs. During her time in Grayson, members of her immediate family developed serious health conditions and Ruby returned to Richmond to help care for their needs.
    After returning home, she served as the founding teacher for the Gardenside Christian Church Kindergarten. For 32 years, Ruby challenged her Gardenside students to grow academically while teaching them about God’s Word and His creation. She was also a very active member of the Big Hill Avenue Christian Church in Richmond where she provided leadership in the areas of Sunday School, Junior Church, Vacation Bible School, and visits to the elderly.
    For nearly 50 years, Ruby taught young people about God’s love and shared with them the Good News of Jesus Christ. As a Christian educator, it is very fitting that her educational ministry continues to demonstrate the power of multiplication. Ruby helped transform the lives of thousands of students through her teaching. Now, the thousands she instructed are positively impacting the lives of tens of thousands of others on behalf of Jesus Christ. The world is a much better place today because Ruby, a true servant leader, made herself available to be used by God.
    Ruby, who was a member of the Richmond Community Christian Church, is survived by three siblings: Grace M. Bowles, Bruce Maggard, and Joyce M. Edwards; seven nieces, nine nephews, more than thirty great-nieces and –nephews, and more than ten great-great-nieces and -nephews. She was preceded in death by the following immediate family members: Father - Israel D. Maggard, Mother - Martha M. Maggard, Brother - Ivan “Buster” Maggard, Sister - Loyce M. Dundon, Brother - Herman Maggard, and Sister - Bessie M. Jackson.
    The funeral service will be conducted at 11:00 a.m., on Monday, February 8th at the Oldham, Roberts & Powell Funeral Home, 1110 Barnes Mill Road in Richmond, Kentucky. Burial will follow in the Richmond Cemetery. Visitation will be 2-6 p.m. on Sunday, February 7th at Oldham, Roberts & Powell Funeral Home. Memorial contributions are suggested to the Hospice Comp***ionate Care Center, 350 Isaacs Lane, Richmond, KY 40475 or the Richmond Community Christian Church, 230 Boggs Lane, Richmond, KY 40475.

This is what I sent to the site that has her obituary:

In 1966, Miss Maggard was simply a beautiful, Godly Christian lady who was my kindergarten teacher. It was in her cl***room one day after cl*** waiting for Mother to pick me up that I was born again. I always knew how special Miss Maggard was to me. Not until after her death did I learn just how special she is to many many others (and to the Lord).
    Last edited by johnd; 04-21-2011 at 01:27 AM.

johnd

We don't realize the influence we have in other people's lives nor the influence others have in our lives till one day we look back or we stumble upon an obituary. I feel very blessed having had this wonderful person in my life. I feel it was a deliberate crossing of paths in the plan of the Lord.

What he's done for me he does for others, many many others. I personally believe his foreknowledge of who will believe in Jesus is the ***urance that all who will believe will be shown the truth. What a wonderful and loving God we serve.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by jade84116 View Post
    Isaiah 44:24, KJV: "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself." Does anyone have any idea how a Trinity of One God in Three Persons could ever be alone with the understanding that there's a difference between a mystery and a contradiction?

Not sure I understand this question???....

But God is very much alone, there is no other god that my God even knows about...

alanmolstad

History tells us that the Jews of Old and New Testament times were absolute monotheists not trinitarians.
    The Trinity is One God...not 3 gods...

Thus the people that believe in the trinity 9all Christians0 still believe in the one God of the jews...

alanmolstad

History tells us that the Jews of Old and New Testament times were absolute monotheists not trinitarians.
    The Trinity is One God...not 3 gods...

Thus the people that believe in the trinity (all Christians) still believe in the one God of the jews...

alanmolstad

Isaiah 44:24, KJV: "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself." Does anyone have any idea how a Trinity of One God in Three Persons could ever be alone with the understanding that there's a difference between a mystery and a contradiction?
    There is only the One God.
    While he is shown us in3 persons, He yet is still always the One God....

johnd

The Athanasian Creed rules out "dividing the substance" so, you cannot argue "one person in the Godhead created" without denying the Trinity.
    Not true. And btw creeds like the so-called apostle's creed are only statements of men.

Isaiah 44:24 states that God the Redeemer** acted alone in creation. It did not say he was alone in the beginning.

In company with God the Word creator of all things created in the beginning (John 1:3 / Colossians 1:16) was the Father (1 John 1:2) and the Holy Ghost (Genesis 1:2).

**The Father is not our redeemer. He is the one who collects on the sin debt. Jesus is the redeemer the one who paid the sin debt.

Claim one of the Apostle's creed gets this wrong (God the Father did not create heaven and earth, God the Word [who became the Son] did).

Athanasian Creed rules out dividing of substance, based on what scripture?

The Son created all things created in the beginning. The Father did not, the Holy Spirit did not. The Father created the body of the Son. The Son did not and the Spirit did not... he only delivered the divine package to the womb of the virgin Mary (Matthew 1:18-20). He is no more the Father of Jesus than the doctor who plants live embryos in a surrogate mother is the father. The Spirit wrote the Bible (2 Peter 1:20-21) not the Father or the Son. So the creed is wrong and it hinders understanding the Trinity by what is unique to each individual in the Godhead.

Pooh pooh on creeds (mere traditions of men) or anything other than the LORD God and his holy Word the Bible.

alanmolstad

The answer to this question is found in looking at the story of Genesis where we read "Let us make man in our image"......."So man was made in the image of God"