Thread: Can the Big Bang and Genesis Both Be True?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alanmolstad

Now the other main point that I have been taught and have been talking about on this message forum is dealing with the term "Heavens"

This term "Heavens" has several meanings in the Bible.

I do not wish to try to list all the different meanings as that would tend to sidetrack us, but I will just point out one important thing about the many different meanings to the word that is important to our study of the Genesis story.

That among the correct ways to understand the term "Heavens" is the idea that it is talking about all the things in the sky.

all of them, not just the pinhole lights in the sky we know as stars, but all the other things that we don't even have names for even today.
    All that "stuff" up there above the earth is correctly called in the Bible by the one term understood at the time to be addressing all that stuff - "Heavens".

So in other words, if I were writing down the story of Genesis and I wanted to use a term that correctly identified all the stars in the night sky, there really is only one term that does this and carries that intended meaning, and that is the term "heavens".

Now why is this important to our story of the creation order?

The answer is that when I was in a ORIGINS discussion on Young Earth Creationism, taught to me personally by the well known YEC teacher, Mr Ken Ham , he had within his teachings the idea that the Bible says that the first thing God created was the "light".

This formed the base of all his young earth teachings, this idea that God made the "light" first before He had created a 'source" for that light.
    This sorta starts the ball rolling for Mr Ham, and from there he has to then justify the idea that he has a "light" before he had a "source" for that same light, and that gets him to the idea that you can have a total contradiction between all known science, and the Bible.

This idea that science was against the Bible forms an unquestioned base of understanding for all that Young Earth creation stands on.
    They believe it ......they don't know any better....

I have a different idea.
    My idea is to just read what the words of the text actually say, and believe them.
    The first thing the Bible actually says God created in the beginning was "The Heavens".

We know for our study that the term "Heavens" can mean "Stars" and so right here at the beginning of the Genesis story we have an account of creation that AGREES WITH SCIENCE!!!!!!

Last edited by alanmolstad; 03-08-2018 at 08:15 AM.