Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: ST. BASIL Destroys the foolish view that we are still in the creation week of Genesis

  1. #1
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default ST. BASIL Destroys the foolish view that we are still in the creation week of Genesis

    ST. BASIL * VOLUME VIII

    And the evening and the morning were one day. Why does Scripture say "one day the first day"? Before speaking to us of the second, the third, and the fourth days, would it not have been more natural to call that one the first which began the series? If it therefore says "one day," it is from a wish to determine the measure of day and night, and to combine the time that they contain. Now Twenty-Four Hours Fill Up The Space Of One Day--we mean of a day and of a night; and if, at the time of the solstices, they have not both an equal length, the time marked by Scripture does not the less circumscribe their duration. It is as though it said: Now Twenty-Four Hours Fill Up The Space Of One Day, or that, in reality a day is the time that the heavens starting from one point take to return there. Thus, every time that, in the revolution of the sun, evening and morning occupy the world, their periodical succession never exceeds the space of one day.

    * THE BOOK OF ST. BASIL ON THE SPIRIT HOMILY II pp. 64-65 * 330 A.D. - 379 A.D


    Hexaemeron (Homily 2)
    #8 from this site:

    http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/32012.htm
    Last edited by jude1:3; 08-14-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  2. #2
    Senior Member MichaellS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Notre Dame, IN
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    ST. BASIL * VOLUME VIII

    And the evening and the morning were one day. Why does Scripture say "one day the first day"? Before speaking to us of the second, the third, and the fourth days, would it not have been more natural to call that one the first which began the series? If it therefore says "one day," it is from a wish to determine the measure of day and night, and to combine the time that they contain. Now Twenty-Four Hours Fill Up The Space Of One Day--we mean of a day and of a night; and if, at the time of the solstices, they have not both an equal length, the time marked by Scripture does not the less circumscribe their duration. It is as though it said: Now Twenty-Four Hours Fill Up The Space Of One Day, or that, in reality a day is the time that the heavens starting from one point take to return there. Thus, every time that, in the revolution of the sun, evening and morning occupy the world, their periodical succession never exceeds the space of one day.

    * THE BOOK OF ST. BASIL ON THE SPIRIT HOMILY II pp. 64-65 * 330 A.D. - 379 A.D
    This has to be the first time I recall you citing an author of liturgical writings. And I agree with him. Forgive me if I've missed this about your posts.

    Mike.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Another Quote :



    * St. Ephraim the Syrian*
    “No one should think that the Creation of Six Days is an allegory" - *St. Ephraim the Syrian* / Commentary on Genesis Ch.1
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    find me the verse that teaches that the 7th day of the creation week has ended????

    You can't.


    The simple fact is that the Bible does not teach that the 7th day has ended.

    Try as you might, appeal to all types of arguments, quote all kinds of people, but you still are stumped by the cold hard fact that the bible simply does not teach that the 7th day had ended yet.


    6 days in Genesis have hard and fast endings....no way to doubt it, they tell you in black and white when a day in the creation story has ended.

    But the 7th day?...............
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  5. #5
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    t the bible simply does not teach that the 7th day had ended yet.





    You are not living in reality. Weeks, Months and Years have past since Creation. You are wrong and you're just making up stuff because you want to promote satanic evolution.
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    6 days have very clear listed endings....
    But the 7th day?....

    None is found in any book of the bible...
    Thus if the bible has no ending for the 7th day..and that this fact is not by accident, then why would anyone feel justified in slapping on an ending where none was intended?
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  7. #7
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    6 days have very clear listed endings....
    But the 7th day?....

    None is found in any book of the bible...
    Thus if the bible has no ending for the 7th day..and that this fact is not by accident, then why would anyone feel justified in slapping on an ending where none was intended?


    What you wrote is nothing but Pure Sophistry and you know it.
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    I'm very sure that if the bible taught that the 7th day has ended you would have been more than happy to quote me that verse...

    But as the biible does not teach that the 7th day has ended you struggle to add it to the text.
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  9. #9
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    My position is supported by the text of the Holy bible...
    I dont have to add words to make the text agree with my private views of what it should have taught.
    I can just read the story and take it as its written.

    In the case of the 7th day I dont have to force the text to teach that the 7th day has ended when the Text clearly has went way out of its way to make sure we understand the fact that the 7th day continues to this very moment.
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  10. #10
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    My position is supported by the text of the Holy bible...

    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Who is paying you to defend evolution alanmolstad ?
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    Who is paying you to defend evolution alanmolstad ?
    any time you have a question about anything I have posted?.....just let me know...

    I object to YEC teachings about the order of creation, and so if you want to know what I teach is the correct order as listed in the Text?...just ask.


    I teach that human and all animals including the great apes share a common source, and if want to know if what I teach is found in the Text?...just let me know.


    I teach that there is no listed ending to the 7th day of the creation week. If you would like to see how the Text clearly does not list an ending to the 7th day as it clearly lists for 6 other days?...just let me know.




    But if you just want to post silly things and ask silly questions?....Im too old for that stuff....
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  13. #13
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    the Story of Genesis works well with the teachings of Evolution.


    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    • IRENAEUS AGAINST HERESIES BOOK 5 p. 557

    For in as many days as this world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded. And for this reason the Scripture says: "Thus the heaven and the earth were finished, and all their adornment. And God brought to a conclusion upon the sixth day the works that He had made; and God rested upon the seventh day from all His works." This is an account of the things formerly created, as also it is a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years; and in six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year.
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    • IRENAEUS AGAINST HERESIES BOOK 5 p. 557

    For in as many days as this world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded.[/COLOR][/U][/B]

    Ok, just looking at his ideas...
    "For ( or because) in as many days as the world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded."


    "Shall be concluded"
    clearly not ended then.
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 08-19-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  16. #16
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    Ok, just looking at his ideas...
    "For ( or because) in as many days as the world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded."


    "Shall be concluded"
    clearly not ended then.


    I'm trying to show you that it's Not Millions and Billions of years old. Just "Thousands".
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    When the Bible talks about a day to the Lord being onto 1,000 years, we are not to understand that this is an actual number....Rather we are using words that point to a long-long time.


    Its like when Jesus is asked how many times to forgive a brother?....Jesus answered 70 x 7 , but when we read this little math problem we are not to just think its an actual number, and if we forgive that number the next time we dont forgive and cant forgive after that any more..


    So to review.....no ending in the whole bible for the 7th day....
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  18. #18
    Senior Member jude1:3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    474

    Default

    But it still doesn't mention "Millions" of years does it ?

    Just "Thousands."
    The Fruits of Macroevolution are: Atheism, Social Darwinism, Racism, Eugenics and No Moral Absolutes.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jude1:3 View Post
    But it still doesn't mention "Millions" of years does it ?

    Just "Thousands."
    When Jesus said to forgive a brother 70x7 was he actually talking about a limited number or an unlimited number?
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

  20. #20
    Super Moderator alanmolstad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    When Jesus said to forgive a brother 70x7 was he actually talking about a limited number or an unlimited number?
    Here is my point:

    In the Bible, when it comes to the use of very large numbers what we see is that the Bible tells us something is unlimited by the use of what most people would think is a very large number.

    How long is a day for the Lord?.....well if you think its exactly 1000 years to the hr you are totally missing the point .

    And if you think that once you forgive your brother 140 times you no longer ever has to forgive him again?...you also are missing the point.

    For if the small, little number like 140 can actually represent "unlimited" than is it that hard to understand that when the Bible tells us that a day with the Lord is like onto 1000 years, that its actually pointing to an unlimited number as well??
    Last edited by alanmolstad; 08-20-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    From the Forum RULES : "As you know, the Walter Martin website takes the position that Mormon theology is not Christian theology. Use of the term "LDS Christian" is inaccurate and misleading, and as such is not acceptable on this board."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •