I am going to post some words and verses I used in a sermon I preached, with God's help, recently. Then you can add your views. One point I want to make to help guide any discussion is that when someone investigates a matter, whether they be a judge or a king or authority, they do not ask people for their interpretation of the event or events being investigated. They ask for the truth.

We should not be satisfied with a person's interpretation of scripture but demand the truth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truth v. interpretation

Ever since I was an intern in a church to complete my undergraduate degree, I have heard the sentence—that is according to your interpretation’ This phrase has been used over and over again by those who claim to be a follower of Christ whenever the truth conflicts with what they think or want to believe.
Today we are going to look at why that phrase is wrong and unbiblical and why truth is what matters.

There are 137 Bible results for “truth.”

Genesis 42:16
Send one of your number to get your brother; the rest of you will be kept in prison, so that your words may be tested to see if you are telling the truth. If you are not, then as surely as Pharaoh lives, you are spies!”

1 Kings 17:24
Then the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth.”

1 Kings 22:16
The king said to him, “How many times must I make you swear to tell me nothing but the truth in the name of the Lord?”
--------------------------------------------
Psalm 15:2
The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart;

Psalm 25:5
Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalm 52:3
You love evil rather than good, falsehood rather than speaking the truth.

Psalm 145:18
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

Proverbs 12:19
Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.

Proverbs 23:23
Buy the truth and do not sell it— wisdom, instruction and insight as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isaiah 45:19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob’s descendants, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I, the Lord, speak the truth; I declare what is right.

Daniel 8:12
Because of rebellion, the Lord’s people and the daily sacrifice were given over to it. It prospered in everything it did, and truth was thrown to the ground.

Amos 5:10
There are those who hate the one who upholds justice in court and detest the one who tells the truth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Zechariah 8:16
These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgment in your courts;

Mark 12:14
They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 3:21
But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

John 8:32
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

John 17:17
Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

Acts 20:30
Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.
================================================== =================
Romans 2:2
Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.

1 Corinthians 13:6
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

2 Corinthians 13:8
For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth.

Galatians 2:5
We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you.

Galatians 4:16
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

Ephesians 4:15
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

Ephesians 4:25
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.

Ephesians 6:14
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,

2 Thessalonians 2:10
and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:12
and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

1 Timothy 2:4
who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

1 Timothy 3:9
They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience.

2 Timothy 2:18
who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.

2 Timothy 2:25
Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

2 Timothy 4:4
They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

***us 1:14
and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the merely human commands of those who reject the truth

Hebrews 5:12
In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food

Hebrews 10:26
If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,

James 1:18
He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

2 Peter 2:2
Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.

1 John 1:8
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

1 John 2:21
I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.

2 John 1:4
It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us.

3 John 1:4
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.