Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the 'gospel' of the LDS church?

Default What is the 'gospel' of the LDS church?

Is it this?
    Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles.

Notice there is NOTHING of 'ordinances,' 'being exalted to godhood' or anything of the kind in there?

Yet what I quoted was written by the APOSTLE PAUL for GOD and UNDER INSPIRATION OF GOD in 1 Corinthians 1:4-7.

No ordinances. No temple junk. No magical underwear. No presidents, councils of 12 or 70 either.

Simply JESUS.

What's YOUR 'gospel?'

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Is it this?
    Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles.

Notice there is NOTHING of 'ordinances,' 'being exalted to godhood' or anything of the kind in there?
    In the LDS church--all scriptures are inclusive of their belief:

Acts 2:38---King James Version (KJV)
    38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version (KJV)
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 4:4--King James Version (KJV)
    4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Berean

Quote Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
    Nonsense.

What about this?

D&C 76
    53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post In the LDS church--all scriptures are inclusive of their belief:

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    Nonsense. What about this?

D&C 76
    53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.
    What about it?

Again--all the scriptures are integral one to another.

IOW--when we find the term "faith" in the scriptures--repentance, water baptism, belief, trust, enduring to the end, service, love for God and man, etc--are all integral components to faith in Christ.

The same is true for other terms used in the English language, for example:

Term: Car

Integral components: engine, transmission, doors, seats, wheels, etc.

Term: House

Integral components: Roof, foundation, doors, windows, walls, etc.

What about it?

Again--all the scriptures are integral one to another.

IOW--when we find the term "faith" in the scriptures--repentance, water baptism, belief, trust, enduring to the end, service, love for God and man, etc--are all integral components to faith in Christ.

The same is true for other terms used in the English language, for example:

Term: Car

Integral components: engine, transmission, doors, seats, wheels, etc.

Term: House

Integral components: Roof, foundation, doors, windows, walls, etc.

So you think FAITH is 'only part' of what is required for salvation (having your sins forgiven), is that it? YOU GOTTA do a bunch of 'other stuff' first. . .?

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    [COLOR=#0000cd]So you think FAITH is 'only part' of what is required for salvation (having your sins forgiven), is that it?
    I believe just what the scriptures bear testimony to--faith without works is dead:

James 2:20-26---King James Version (KJV)
    20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

YOU GOTTA do a bunch of 'other stuff' first. . .?
    You might want to consider Paul's long list:

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version (KJV)
    19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

there is no gospel of the mormon religious belief. they rely upon pressure and bullying to win converts
    check the new book thread to find my new books

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidT View Post
    there is no gospel of the mormon religious belief. they rely upon pressure and bullying to win converts
    Hi David:

I noticed you do not usually engage the scriptures, nor the points of concern--why?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

David--how do you fit those scriptures into faith alone theology? It fits the LDS doctrines just fine.

I don't because you misuse the scriptures and do not understand them

cultic people take what is true, or rather a portion of what is true, and misapply it to their own ideas then claim to be following the Bible. They are not but merely use bits and pieces of the truth to trap unwary people and unknowledgable believers into their web of lies and deceit.
    Last edited by DrDavidT; 02-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.

dberrie2000

cultic people take what is true, or rather a portion of what is true, and misapply it to their own ideas then claim to be following the Bible. They are not but merely use bits and pieces of the truth to trap unwary people and unknowledgable believers into their web of lies and deceit.
    Could you explain for us what it is about the Biblical NT witness you believe is bits and pieces of the truth used to trap unwary people?

The question was--how do you fit those scriptures into faith alone theology? It fits LDS theology fine.

anyone can cherry pick p***ages to support their cultic ideology. where are the p***ages that say lucifer is the brother of jesus? where are the p***ages that state that there was already a universe and matter in place before this solar system and planet was formed? where are the p***ages of scripture that say coffee, tea, soft drinks are banned for a believer? where are the scriptures that say you must wear magic underwear or keep a 2 year food supply? where are the scriptures that say god was human and spawned millions of spiritual babies?

dberrie2000

anyone can cherry pick p***ages to support their cultic ideology.
    Hi David:

Anyone can accuse one of "cherry picking" whenever scriptures are posted which defy their theology.

Care to engage the posted scriptures?

1 Corinthians 7:19---King James Version (KJV)
    19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

hogan60

Matthew wrote about the earthly ministry of Christ. This was OT. The NT didn't come in until the cross. Of course Jesus told the rich young ruler to keep the commandments. They were still under the law. In the NT Christ said there's 2 commandments: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.

As for Peter, he preached the same thing as John the baptist: repent and be baptized. The kingdom was at hand, it was in their midst because Jesus Christ was there and could have ushered in the kingdom and ruled from Jerusalem if the Jews had believed He was their King/Messiah. Peter never taught what Paul did: the message of the cross, Christ's blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. Peter said Christ was the Messiah and that the Jews had killed him. Repent and be baptized. That was for the Nation of Israel. That's why Peter says Paul's message of Salvation is hard for him to understand in II Peter 3:15-16. To the Jew it was repent and be baptized. To the Gentile it is believe the Gospel.

hogan60

Hi David:

Anyone can accuse one of "cherry picking" whenever scriptures are posted which defy their theology.

Care to engage the posted scriptures?

1 Corinthians 7:19---King James Version (KJV)
    19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
    This does not refer to the 10 Commandments as they were given to the nation of Israel, but to keeping the commandments of Jesus, which are to love one another and believe on Him alone for our salvation.

dberrie2000

Quote Originally Posted by hogan60 View Post
    Matthew wrote about the earthly ministry of Christ. This was OT. The NT didn't come in until the cross. Of course Jesus told the rich young ruler to keep the commandments. They were still under the law. In the NT Christ said there's 2 commandments: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.
    Hi Hogan--thanks for the exchange:

Could you explain for us how one could avoid Paul's condemnation above--without obeying the ten commandments?

As for Peter, he preached the same thing as John the baptist: repent and be baptized.
    And more yet--for the remission of sins. God's salvational grace for our obedience:

Acts 2:38--King James Version (KJV)

How do you collate that with faith alone theology?

The kingdom was at hand, it was in their midst because Jesus Christ was there and could have ushered in the kingdom and ruled from Jerusalem if the Jews had believed He was their King/Messiah. Peter never taught what Paul did: the message of the cross, Christ's blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. Peter said Christ was the Messiah and that the Jews had killed him. Repent and be baptized. That was for the Nation of Israel. That's why Peter says Paul's message of Salvation is hard for him to understand in II Peter 3:15-16. To the Jew it was repent and be baptized. To the Gentile it is believe the Gospel.
    Peter taught the message of the cross:

1 Peter 2:24---King James Version (KJV)
    24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the message was to obey the gospel:

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9---King James Version (KJV)
    7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
    8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

hogan60

Could you explain for us how one could avoid Paul's condemnation above--without obeying the ten commandments?

And more yet--for the remission of sins. God's salvational grace for our obedience:

Acts 2:38--King James Version (KJV)

How do you collate that with faith alone theology?

Peter taught the message of the cross:

1 Peter 2:24---King James Version (KJV)
    24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the message was to obey the gospel:

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9---King James Version (KJV)
    7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
    8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Peter is mostly quoting Isaiah in Chapter 53. Who did Isaiah write to? Jews. Salvation for the Jew as taught by Peter and the apostles was believing that Jesus was the Promised Messiah, the Son of the living God. But never, does Peter require their believing on the cross, Christ's death, burial and resurrection for their salvation. Their salvation was believing that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ.

As for Gal 5:19-21, Paul is not referring to the 10 commandments. He's talking about our old Adamic nature, the lifestyle of unbelievers.Then in verses 23 and 24 Paul says the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

hogan60

[/B]
    In Gal 5:19-21 Paul is talking about unbelievers who live a sinful lifestyle. They cannot inherit the kingdom of God. Notice that Paul uses the word they, not us.

"they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." He wasn't referring to himself or believers.

Then in verses 22, 23 we see the flip side. the lifestyle of the Believer.

"22: " But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23 Meekness, temperance.."

Even if believers sin, we have forgiveness through the shed blood of Christ

This does not refer to the 10 Commandments as they were given to the nation of Israel, but to keeping the commandments of Jesus, which are to love one another and believe on Him alone for our salvation.
    You would be in err there

Now I wonder what kind of Christ you are trying to save people to.

The ten commandments apply to everyone as do most OT laws. I was doing a study on the difference between OT laws and NT commands and I have found that Christ taught the exact same things as God did in the OT. Tattoos are still forbidden as is wearing the opposite sex clothes and so on.

dberrie2000

As for Gal 5:19-21, Paul is not referring to the 10 commandments.
    Hi Hogan:

Again--could you explain to us how one could avoid Paul's condemnation found in Galatians 5:19-21--without obeying the ten commandments?

hogan60

Hi Hogan:

Again--could you explain to us how one could avoid Paul's condemnation found in Galatians 5:19-21--without obeying the ten commandments?

Can you explain why you believe the 10 commandments apply to us today when it was only given to the nation of Israel? Are you Jewish? Do you want to be under law? Paul said anyone who puts themselves under law keeping is cursed!

dberrie, I hope we're not going to keep going around the same mountain. I have answered and answered. I realize you defend Mormonism, but you really should defend nothing but the God-breathed Holy Scriptures. Jesus said: "Thy word is Truth." You adhere to a works and obedience theology, not one of grace and faith alone in the atoning work of Christ at the cross. This is why you pick out those verses that have the word, 'work' or' obedience' in them.

dberrie2000

Originally Posted by dberrie2000 View Post Hi Hogan:

Can you explain why you believe the 10 commandments apply to us today when it was only given to the nation of Israel? Are you Jewish?
    All who have faith in Christ are adopted into the House of Israel, and become the seed of Abraham:

Galatians 3:26-29--King James Version (KJV)
    26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
    28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
    29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The promises were to none else other than the seed of Abraham. All come into the House of Israel through faith in Christ--there is neither Jew nor Gentile, in that respect.

How does that cancel out or cover up the fact Jesus connected keeping the commandments with eternal life?

Do you want to be under law?
    Again--you have not addressed the fact the commandments were present in the gospel taught to Abraham, 400 years prior to the Law:

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version (KJV)
    4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
    5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

As Paul stated--the Mosaic Law was ADDED because of transgressions:

Galatians 3:19---King James Version (KJV)
    19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Added to what?

Well--just what Abraham had, the gospel:

Galatians 3:8---King James Version (KJV)
    8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

That's the reason when Christ fulfilled the Law--the commandments remained unto life:

Hogan--there was no eternal life under the Mosaic Law, so that could not apply to the Mosaic Law.

hogan60

All who have faith in Christ are adopted into the House of Israel, and become the seed of Abraham:

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
    29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The promises were to none else other than the seed of Abraham. All come into the House of Israel through faith in Christ--there is neither Jew nor Gentile, in that respect.

How does that cancel out or cover up the fact Jesus connected keeping the commandments with eternal life?

Again--you have not addressed the fact the commandments were present in the gospel taught to Abraham, 400 years prior to the Law:

4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
    5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Added to what?

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

That's the reason when Christ fulfilled the Law--the commandments remained unto life:

Hogan--there was no eternal life under the Mosaic Law, so that could not apply to the Mosaic Law.
    is your faith in Christ? Are you sure? or is it in after all you can do? dberrie I went over much of this in previous posts. Quoting verses back and forth doesn't work here because you merely repeat the teachings of mormonism which is faith plus works, plus obedience, plus 10 commandments, plus church rules, ordinances.

hogan60

Added to what?

is your faith in Christ? Are you sure? or is it in after all you can do? dberrie I went over much of this in previous posts. Quoting verses back and forth doesn't work here because you merely repeat the teachings of mormonism which is faith plus works, plus obedience, plus 10 commandments, plus church rules, ordinances. Do you even have ***urance of where you will end up when you die?