I was shown this link which is a LDS chat app on LDS.org. So I decided to ask a question. Here's how it went...

For this chat, I decided to be "Frank" who is listed as "F."

Chat begins:

Now chatting with Hunter & Katelyn
F
Hello.
12:52 PM

H
Hi! How are you?
12:52 PM

F
Doing great thank you. And you?
12:53 PM
I have a question.

H
We are doing great! Thanks! Sure! Ask away!
12:53 PM

F
Oops, one moment please... phone
12:54 PM

H
No worries! We will still be here!

F
Sorry, just my luck. LoL
Ok, here's the question:
I can't copy and paste, so I'll have to type it out.. hold on..
Moroni 8:18 says God is "unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity." Joseph Smith, however, taught, "We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil so that you may see" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg 345).

Who is right, Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon?
12:58 PM

K
While Joseph Smith did say this, this statement is theological in nature and has never been canonized as official doctrine of our church. The Book of Mormon teaches that God is eternal, and He is. We do not know the origin of God. You can read more about all this here: https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng
1:00 PM

F
Thanks for the reply and the link. So then, Joseph Smith was wrong and the Book of Mormon is right?
1:02 PM
Joseph plainly said he refutes the idea

K
Please read the article. It explains all of this as well or better than we can.
1:03 PM

F
Ok, thanks Katelyn
1:04 PM

H
Do you have anymore questions for us today?
1:07 PM

F
Maybe after I read the article. Thanks for your time.
1:08 PM

====================

I read the article, which goes into great detail in an attempt to explain how people can become gods... essentially that god can change.

Then we chatted again..

Now chatting with Laurine & Allison
L
Hello Frank! What can we do for you??
1:19 PM

F
Hello. I was just in a chat, and was given a link, which I have read. I have more questions.
1:19 PM
I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just can't get my mind around this. The original question was: since Moroni 8:18 says God is unchanging, and Joseph Smith taught that would refute that idea, how can you say the Book of Mormon was not wrong?
1:22 PM

L
Joseph Smith never taught that that was wrong, and the Book of Mormon isn't Joseph Smith's book, he just translated it
1:23 PM

F
I never claimed it was Joseph Smith's book, or that he did not translate it. I merely asked, who is wrong. Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon, and the link I was given was about becoming gods,
1:25 PM
so..
It's obvious the Church now teaches that God can change, while Moroni 8:18 clearly indicates that he cannot.
What other conclusion can be drawn, except that the Book of Mormon was wrong and Joseph Smith corrected it?

F
And again, I'm not trying to trap you or be confrontational, I think this is a valid question.
1:27 PM
Hello.. are you still there?
1:29 PM
Helloooo?
1:31 PM

Crickets..

This is the typical intellectually dishonest Mormon response when confronted with clear contradictions.... Poof! Gone!