Thread: Mormons caught up in wave of pedophile accusations

Berean

Default Mormons caught up in wave of pedophile accusations

The church that is known for placing a spiritual premium on family values is
    under increasing attack for an alleged failure to protect its children from
    pedophiles.

Therein lies the irony of a barrage of lawsuits and general complaints alleging
    that -- in an effort to protect its wholesome image -- the Church of Jesus
    Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly called the Mormon church, has failed to
    root out child molesters in its midst. More Here

I noticed that the copyright on the article was 18 years ago, not recent. I am not impressed.

alanmolstad

I read the link's information, and I was questioning how the Mormon church got involved in the story?

What seems to have happened is that the father confessed to the church leadership that he was 'doing" bad things to his kids.

At that moment the church is really obligated to step in and call the cops.
    But what the church did was to protect the father from then on and try to hide what they knew he was 'doing"

That does make a big difference in this situation.

Because its one thing to confess something that you may have done once in the past, and its another thing to confess you are doing things and will likely keep doing such things in the future.

At that point the Mormon church became just as guilty as the father.

Thats why the judgement came down so hard against them.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I read the link's information, and I was questioning how the Mormon church got involved in the story?

What seems to have happened is that the father confessed to the church leadership that he was 'doing" bad things to his kids.

At that moment the church is really obligated to step in and call the cops.
    But what the church did was to protect the father from then on and try to hide what they knew he was 'doing"

That does make a big difference in this situation.

Because its one thing to confess something that you may have done once in the past, and its another thing to confess you are doing things and will likely keep doing such things in the future.

At that point the Mormon church became just as guilty as the father.

Thats why the judgement came down so hard against them.

And it took 18 years AFTER THE ARTICLE WAS PUBLISHED to bring it to someone's attention?

I agree, the crime is rotten, but I know of colleges and universities being 'investigated' because of the same types of crimes. EVERY LARGE PUBLIC INS***UTION suffers the sins of its individuals. This is no more impressive than the rest of them, ESPECIALLY the universities and colleges.

alanmolstad

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    [COLOR=#0000cd]

And it took 18 years AFTER THE ARTICLE WAS PUBLISHED to bring it to someone's attention?
    I imagine it was known to the Mormons all this time...

Quote Originally Posted by alanmolstad View Post
    I imagine it was known to the Mormons all this time...
    Yet their founder was a pedophile...hmmm
    check the new book thread to find my new books